• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
18 18

2,250 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2019 at 4:23 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Wasn't there a story going around about this one - something about the delivery truck crashing and most copies getting destroyed? It might have come from Chuck?

Yes, that's what the story was. Not sure the origin of it. The cover ended up being completely black too besides the 0.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
On 11/1/2019 at 8:23 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Wasn't there a story going around about this one - something about the delivery truck crashing and most copies getting destroyed? It might have come from Chuck?

Yes, that's what the story was. Not sure the origin of it. The cover ended up being completely black too besides the 0.

Cheers. I found this online just now:

http://www.recalledcomics.com/ASM638-2ndPrintVariant.php

An extract from it says:

"Anecdotally it was suggested that the second printing was abandoned/recalled as a bad idea: The "O" on the cover was meant to be the first of three with the "M", "I" and "T" to follow possibly as second prints to each of the four issues in the storyline. (Note: O.M.I.T. spells out the initials of the storyline and is also a reference to how Parker's and Watson's wedding was OMITted from the continuity, according to Quesada).

Another explanation (from multiple sources but likely originating from Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics) was that there was a truck wreck where most of the second prints were destroyed with only around 800 surviving, which were liquidated later by Diamond with one dealer buying the lot (and Chuck apparently bought some from him). Note that copies (likely a small number) also seem to have made it across to the pond to the UK but Marvel did not print more copies of the second print for the North American market."

My old copy wasn't completely black - you could still see the cover image behind the 'O'. I always thought it was an odd cover. 

82014112_6382ndp.thumb.jpg.0717239d32b364820b72de5eec154b40.jpg

53 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Maybe you missed my earlier post, but the "anonymous 'Diamond rep'" specifically stated that, due to its brokerage agreement with Marvel, Diamond places its orders directly with the printer and warehouses the entirety of the books' print runs, and as such, when he was graciously researching the various Diamond item numbers that I was giving him, he was seeing and reading the exact amount of orders and print number information from his computer screen.

...for what Diamond distributes, according to an anonymous source.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

And you know darn well that this info is closely guarded and proprietary, so you know I cannot publicly name this person, especially since his name was given to me by a boardie here.  If you're not willing to put in your own leg work, and choose to ignore all of the other obvious public supporting indicators, that's your prerogative and not my problem.  

The reason you can't reveal your source(s) is irrelevant; until and unless the information you presented (again, with my utmost apologies to @bababooey is independently verifiable, until someone else can go to your source and ask the same questions and get the same answers, it has no value. It has nothing to do with anyone else doing their own leg work. 

And if his name has already been given to you by another board member, it's clearly not that much of a secret...

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Maybe you missed my earlier post, but the "anonymous 'Diamond rep'" specifically stated that, due to its brokerage agreement with Marvel, Diamond places its orders directly with the printer and warehouses the entirety of the books' print runs, and as such, when he was graciously researching the various Diamond item numbers that I was giving him, he was seeing and reading the exact amount of orders and print number information from his computer screen. And you know darn well that this info is closely guarded and proprietary, so you know I cannot publicly name this person, especially since his name was given to me by a boardie here.  If you're not willing to put in your own leg work, and choose to ignore all of the other obvious public supporting indicators, that's your prerogative and not my problem.  

-J.

Sounds like you are saying "the guy" you spoke with recently was the same person who showed you the invoice over a year ago.  (same confidentiality spin with a connected boardie giving you the contact)  If true, why did you waste time talking with three other people before speaking to this "Diamond Marvel expert" guy who showed you the invoice over a year ago?  Didn't you already know this guy by name or was that entire invoice story fiction and this is what we're supposed to believe now?  It sounds like you're getting your wires crossed with this one. 

I don't expect a response since this doubling down is your standard MO when losing ground in a discussion.  

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Sounds like you are saying "the guy" you spoke with recently was the same person who showed you the invoice over a year ago. (same confidentiality spin with a connected boardie giving you the contact)  If true, why did you waste time talking with three other people before speaking to this "Diamond Marvel expert" guy who showed you the invoice over a year ago?  Didn't you already know this guy by name or was that entire invoice story fiction and this is what we're supposed to believe now?  It sounds like you're getting your wires crossed with this one. 

I don't expect a response since this doubling down is your standard MO when losing ground in a discussion.  

Because that's not what happened.  (thumbsu

-J.

16 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

...for what Diamond distributes, according to an anonymous source.

The reason you can't reveal your source(s) is irrelevant; until and unless the information you presented (again, with my utmost apologies to @bababooey is independently verifiable, until someone else can go to your source and ask the same questions and get the same answers, it has no value. It has nothing to do with anyone else doing their own leg work. 

And if his name has already been given to you by another board member, it's clearly not that much of a secret...

Didn't I already tell you it doesn't matter what you do or do not think, want, or believe when it comes to this, now more than ever?

I already got the confirmations and answers I was looking for, so I'm good.  :cloud9: Thanks to all who chipped in the various pieces of the puzzle to finally reveal the full picture.  

-J.

16 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Because that's not what happened.  (thumbsu

-J.

That's what I said when you claimed to have seen an invoice last year :roflmao:

Don't bother to explain why the two background stories (invoice/convo) are the exact same....just move on, wrap it up......you got your version posted publicly, managed to crowbar in a $25K value while getting more views for your thread. :golfclap:

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cheers. I found this online just now:

http://www.recalledcomics.com/ASM638-2ndPrintVariant.php

An extract from it says:

"Anecdotally it was suggested that the second printing was abandoned/recalled as a bad idea: The "O" on the cover was meant to be the first of three with the "M", "I" and "T" to follow possibly as second prints to each of the four issues in the storyline. (Note: O.M.I.T. spells out the initials of the storyline and is also a reference to how Parker's and Watson's wedding was OMITted from the continuity, according to Quesada).

Another explanation (from multiple sources but likely originating from Chuck Rozanski of Mile High Comics) was that there was a truck wreck where most of the second prints were destroyed with only around 800 surviving, which were liquidated later by Diamond with one dealer buying the lot (and Chuck apparently bought some from him). Note that copies (likely a small number) also seem to have made it across to the pond to the UK but Marvel did not print more copies of the second print for the North American market."

My old copy wasn't completely black - you could still see the cover image behind the 'O'. I always thought it was an odd cover. 

Interesting, I have never noticed the background image before. I'm pretty sure a shop near me was the one that bought the lot.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:02 AM, ygogolak said:

So I provided facts, you did not and yet you are "choosing" to end the conversation. Convenient.

:roflmao:

Your facts came down to stating the population number at two points in time. Suggesting that the market price of the book has fallen simply because the graded population saw an increase over the span of two years is pathetic analysis. That isn't even econ 101 stuff. It is tremendously lazy and base discussion that doesn't warrant a back and forth. What was the market depth over this period of time? How many raw copies came up for sale? How many graded copies came up for sale? What happened to other Supergirl variants during this time period? What happened to other Hughes variants during this time period? What about the prices for variants in general? Herp derp there are more copies of this book graded today than there were two years ago so the market price went down. Great work, Einstein. God, you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Didn't I already tell you it doesn't matter what you do or do not think, want, or believe when it comes to this, now more than ever?

I already got the confirmations and answers I was looking for, so I'm good.  :cloud9: Thanks to all who chipped in the various pieces of the puzzle to finally reveal the full picture.  

-J.

You are, as always, fully and completely welcome to believe whatever it is you wish to believe. That's never been at issue. However, where errant information is presented, other members have the privilege and ability to correct those errors, as necessary. It's genuinely nice that you feel that the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction; unfortunately, I don't think there are more than 1 or 2 others who stand with you in that regard, with the majority of other interested parties neither satisfied nor convinced by the explanations offered. It's still far from settled for many.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

During the course of this latest discussion, you have accused multiple people of being "sock puppet" accounts of a single person...in this case, me.

What I really want to know is why you're the alleged puppet master, when I was here first! :nyah:

1 hour ago, Juno Beach said:

Wait, ASM 648 1:100 supposedly has less than 400 printed? Yet there's always a few on Ebay? And the 1:200 sketch cover is way more abundant and actually sells for less? Pull the other one. 

No, the 648 colour has over 400 printed and the sketch version was also a 1:100.  

-J.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

During the course of this latest discussion, you have accused multiple people of being "sock puppet" accounts of a single person...in this case, me.

What I really want to know is why you're the alleged puppet master, when I was here first! :nyah:

That's a really, really good question. Maybe @CCGmod2 can solve the Mystery of the Puppet Master...

670213.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
2 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Wait, ASM 648 1:100 supposedly has less than 400 printed? Yet there's always a few on Ebay? And the 1:200 sketch cover is way more abundant and actually sells for less? Pull the other one. 

No, the 648 colour has over 400 printed and the sketch version was also a 1:100.  

-J.

I'll have to ask for the documentation (rather than just anonymous sources) that you have for the #648 being printed to the tune of "over 400."

45 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'll have to ask for the documentation (rather than just anonymous sources) that you have for the #648 being printed to the tune of "over 400."

Fun bonus fact !

He also said there were 6300 of the ASM 667 Hans variant printed.

(I know, I know, I'm lying, he's lying, Marvel's lying, blah blah blah lol.)

-J.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I am your Master!

Svengali.jpg