• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Ironic that this thread only exists to celebrate exactly which comic books are killing traditional comic book collecting, as if there was no lesson to be learned from the sportscard industry.  The Joker's pile of money on fire in The Dark Knight might as well have had a Dell'Otto ASM #667 on the stack.  It's not about the money... it's about sending a message. lol

Actually the book (coincidentally/ironically) on the top of that pile would be the Bats 608RRP.  The first "modern variant" to bother people like you so much, and, incidentally, has been surging again as of late.  (thumbsu

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:
11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Ironic that this thread only exists to celebrate exactly which comic books are killing traditional comic book collecting, as if there was no lesson to be learned from the sportscard industry.  The Joker's pile of money on fire in The Dark Knight might as well have had a Dell'Otto ASM #667 on the stack.  It's not about the money... it's about sending a message. lol

Actually the book (coincidentally/ironically) on the top of that pile would be the Bats 608RRP.  The first "modern variant" to bother people like you so much, and, incidentally, has been surging again as of late.  (thumbsu

-J.

No - the first to do it didn't do it on purpose.  Batman #608 RRP was the lesson to learn, not the problem.  Batman #608 RRP was right here, on this messageboard, being sworn to have no more than 200 copies printed.  There are more that 300 on the CGC Census.  That's the lesson.  Spending $10,000+ because there are only 52 ASM #667 Dell'Otto on the CGC census?  What happens when the next "hot variant" only has 50 total printed? What about 25?  What about 20?  What about 5?  What about 1?  What about when there are dozens of books that are 1-of-1?  What about when there are dozens of Spider-Man books that are 1-of-1?

We'll see in about five years... it's inevitable.

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'm not saying it's the same I'm not saying you're wrong

Doesn't seem to be near as many that do well in comics compared to sports cards. I agree with you're sentiment, just wanted to clarify.

The reason I agree with you is because of transitioning 

This is ok for now and hasn't imploded, but eventually this too will change, so I'm wondering if that will be peaceful :wishluck:

Because those who might end up gipped for owning the variants will be upset, but also people who blame the variants for disrupting the hobby will also be upset 

It takes two- family ties theme song something like that lol

But I dont blame consumers for buying what a mainstream company IS selling, there has to be middle ground, but seems impossible to find :(

everything in moderation?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not saying it's the same I'm not saying you're wrong

Doesn't seem to be near as many that do well in comics compared to sports cards. I agree with you're sentiment, just wanted to clarify.

The reason I agree with you is because of transitioning 

This is ok for now and hasn't imploded, but eventually this too will change, so I'm wondering if that will be peaceful :wishluck:

Because those who might end up gipped for owning the variants will be upset, but also people who blame the variants for disrupting the hobby will also be upset 

It takes to- family ties theme song something like that lol

But I dont blame consumers for buying what a mainstream company IS selling, there has to be middle ground, but seems impossible to find :(

everything in moderation?

Had to edit that one sentence cause it was a doozy of mixed words lol

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No - the first to do it didn't do it on purpose.  Batman #608 RRP was the lesson to learn, not the problem.  Batman #608 RRP was right here, on this messageboard, being sworn to have no more than 200 copies printed.  There are more that 300 on the CGC Census. That's the lesson.  Spending $10,000+ because there are only 52 ASM #667 Dell'Otto on the CGC census?  What happens when the next "hot variant" only has 50 total printed? What about 25?  What about 20?  What about 5?  What about 1?  What about when there are dozens of books that are 1-of-1?  What about when there are dozens of Spider-Man books that are 1-of-1?

We'll see in about five years... it's inevitable.

Distinction without a difference.  

Just like I won't ever get why somebody would ever believe any common as mud cooper age book with a barcode on it is "rare" or should go for anything resembling a "premium", no matter how insignificant, inconsistent or unprovable that actually is, you will never get this. 

I get it.  doh!

-J.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Distinction without a difference.  

Just like I won't ever get why somebody would ever believe any common as mud cooper age book with a barcode on it is "rare" or should go for anything resembling a "premium", no matter how insignificant, inconsistent or unprovable that actually is, you will never get this. 

I get it.  doh!

-J.

The difference is that a 50% newsstand premium on a $20 book is $30.  That's $10 worth of risk.

ASM #667 Dell'Otto is a $5 book with a $9,995 premium. That's at least $9,495 worth of risk, which would still leave the Dell'Otto book at 100 times the $5 equivalent if it was $500.  

Losing $10 vs. $10,000 isn't the same.

Math.  That's the difference.

Edited by valiantman

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The difference is that a 50% newsstand premium on a $20 book is $30.  That's $10 worth of risk.

ASM #667 Dell'Otto is a $5 book with a $9,995 premium. That's at least $9,495 worth of risk, which would still leave the Dell'Otto book at 100 times the $5 equivalent if it was $500.  

Kindly point to a sale to justify the bolded comment.  

Also, please list the "dozens" of 1 of 1 published Spider-Man comics while you're at it.

Also, whether you realize it or not, you continue to demonstrate how you don't get it.  Which is fine.  I don't get the pump and dump in the copper age forum for common as mud drek either.  

Collect what you love.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That, my friends, is the definition of "risk." :sumo:

14 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Kindly point to a sale to justify the bolded comment.  

Also, please list the "dozens" of 1 of 1 published Spider-Man comics while you're at it.

Also, whether you realize it or not, you continue to demonstrate how you don't get it.  Which is fine.  I don't get the pump and dump in the copper age forum for common as mud drek either.  

Collect what you love.  

-J.

ASM #667 is a $5 book.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324044242725

The $9,995 premium for a different cover on the same comic with 52 slabbed copies is excessive... significantly more than a $20 direct edition selling for $30 in newsstand... to the tune of about 1,000 times the risk.

The dozens of 1-of-1 published Spider-Man comics will be printed over the next five to ten years.  There are thousands of 1-of-1 sportscards, and comics are, once again, just following the cooler older kids in sportscards.

It is inevitable.

Since this topic is 4 years old, it's a good time to predict the next 4.

Done.

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

ASM #667 is a $5 book.

The $9,995 premium for a different cover on the same comic with 52 slabbed copies is excessive... significantly more than a $20 direct edition selling for $30 in newsstand... to the tune of about 1,000 times the risk.

The dozens of 1-of-1 published Spider-Man comics will be printed over the next five to ten years.  There are thousands of 1-of-1 sportscards, and comics are, once again, just following the cooler older kids in sportscards.

It is inevitable.

Done.

Hmm yeah. 

And people said the same thing about the Bats 608RRP, what, 15 years ago?

And even about the ASM 667 Dell'otto five years ago when it was "only" a $2500 book.

And yet here we are....

I suppose you think if you keep making wrong-headed "predictions" and moving the goal posts and time frames that if you ever do actually end up being "right" about something you can tell people "I told you so".  Believing that no books from this variant age of comics would (or should) inevitably rise to the top is just plain silly.  

See you in 2024 lol.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I know at least one other guy who has had 2, 9.8, Dell'otto 667's.  :baiting: B|

-J.

;)

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Don't hate the player, hate the game?  Do you think the manufactured rarity of the Bugatti Chirons will drop in value over time (unlikely?)?  Or how the limited run of the recent Ford GT's mandated that buyers wait a few years before selling them (Jon Cena got in trouble for trying to do just that - don't recall if he ended up selling it or not) and making a profit.

I love all comics, old and new, I want them ALL lol

Jerome

5 hours ago, lighthouse said:

New business idea

1) Order a store exclusive for Marvel issue with cover by popular artist.

2) Receive my 2,500 copies of the regular issue, 1,000 copies of my store exclusive, and 500 copies of the B&W store exclusive.

3) Shoot video destroying 499 of the B&W variants on camera and post on YouTube

4) Sell 1 of 1 remaining B&W variant for thousands of dollars

5) Repeat

I could have done this!

In March 2013 Brett's Comic Pile in Richmond made special covers for Adventure Time 11-14 looking like Marvel 25th anniversary covers. There was a 500 print run of each of these:

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

At the time I was the hardest of hard core Adventure Time cover collectors. I still am, BTW, but not with the new series. I have a collection of Adventure Time 1-75 with all cover variants. All of them. Including a couple that don't exist. But that's another story.

For some reason the store had to sell all of them quickly. They offered them to me at cost, all 2,000 of them.

I had every single copy of the variants in my house. There were no more.

For a little while I was selling them online - you could ONLY get them from me. Once I made my money back I sold them to other dealers.

But I could have - had I been an unpleasant person - destroyed a lot of them. I didn't but I could have.

BTW there was one more but I didn't get all 500. I did go through the print run. Note this book has a red foil cover around the logo.

image.png

There are a couple "platinum" editions of this book. I know this, because I kept them. No red foil.

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

ASM #667 is a $5 book.

It is inevitable.

Done.

I agree that comics are trending toward that kind of 1 of 1 variant exclusive.  How would they go upon releasing that though?  Would the publisher just put it up for auction every month?  Secretly released into the wild where a shop owner just happens to get lucky?  I can imagine they could do a 1 of 1 for every book they publish.  Will be interesting to watch, especially when it happens to a book that has merit within the covers (first appearance, etc...) and not a treadmill book like ASM 667.

I've wondered aloud if that's what Marvel was testing with its 20 randomly inserted Absolute Carnage books with the sketches inside the cover.

Far as I know several of those haven't been found yet. Have any of them even changed hands?