• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
18 18

2,250 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I saw that sale and noted it mainly because it was about twice as much as what another 9.8 sold for a few weeks before.  

Really need to update this list soon.

-J.

There was a 9.6 that sold for $1,015 on June 1.

Last 9.8 sold on eBay was April 26 for $1,725.

Thank you, I absolutely was in amazement when I first saw this variant. I can remember buying Moon Knight, 2nd Series, Fist of Khonshu, mini-series at my local drug store from the “ Hey Kids, Comics!” rack. Shows my age. As far as the WD red foil goes, saw it on eBay, but purchased the same book from my comic shop, for $150 less. 

10 hours ago, World Devourer said:

You have good taste. I purchased the MK #1 in the same grade about two months ago. I must look at the WD issue.

14 minutes ago, manetteska said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Are non-variant moderns allowed in this topic?

A regular newsstand edition (not variant) of Ultimate Fallout #4 CGC 9.8 just sold for $8,100.

A newsstand is a variant!!!!!1111

Newsstand is the standard issue for the non-direct market. Prior to 1975, newsstand was the only edition. How can the version that's been around for 80 years be a variant? It is the original. All others are variations on the newsstand edition.

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

9 hours ago, manetteska said:
10 hours ago, valiantman said:

A regular newsstand edition (not variant) of Ultimate Fallout #4 CGC 9.8 just sold for $8,100.

Newsstand is the standard issue for the non-direct market. Prior to 1975, newsstand was the only edition. How can the version that's been around for 80 years be a variant? It is the original. All others are variations on the newsstand edition.

:gossip: It was a joke. 

5 hours ago, manetteska said:
14 hours ago, valiantman said:

14 hours ago, manetteska said:
15 hours ago, valiantman said:

:gossip: It was a joke. 

Jokes are hard to spot around here.  You'll find posts of "experts" claiming there's no difference between direct and newsstand, some even adding that there should be no price difference.  Hilarious, yes, but sadly, they're not joking.

10 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I'd like to see if the Marvel Comics #1000 D23 Expo variant ends up on this list in a couple of years.

I doubt it since they were given away to comic shops as a freebie after the event. Sadly the one my shop received was folded in half under a pile of Omnibuses. (Still sold for $100).

If prices started to really climb on that book there’s a lot of them out there to magically appear.

In other news I'd say the economic downturn is really hitting home for some - a number of Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 are appearing. Someone is even trying to sell the Danger Girl #2 Ruby Red variant for almost 10K. It's still not worth that much (I'd say $6K), but if you are cashed up at present you could negotiate some good deals.