• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Do you only track CGC and raw? I know we can't mention Voldemort but there are 2 9.8 sitting there.

Voldy usually sells at a discount to CGC.  I don't ignore Voldy results but it's not an apples to apples comparison.  

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Voldy usually sells at a discount to CGC.  I don't ignore Voldy results but it's not an apples to apples comparison.  

-J.

As they should, I just got a book back from CGC that was previously a 9.0 from them. Came back 8.0 from CGC.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Sure, but the new guy on the street grades comparable. I own a few. If I was in the market for a high priced modern I'd take the cheapest of the two personally.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Wow, you're all over the place on this one.

My response was only in relation to the tone of previous posts.

The relation of ASM is simply an arbitrary book. What I was trying to convey is why it's acceptable to spend over $1G on a fairly common Bronze age book, but not a hard to find Modern. The ASM is not a defined key, not an important story, etc...  Any argument as to why that book can sell for that much, except for age, can be matched by a Modern variant. Simply because something is old does not equate to value.

You're the one who  brought it up - Square even said what has this got to do with anything.  "All over the place" is right. Should have said this outright.

On 4/18/2017 at 0:34 PM, kevhtx said:

If the concept is that someone comes to me and says they have $3k to invest, and they want either Siege #3 or IH 181, Ill steer them to the latter every day of the week. Easily. But, I would also tell them my reasoning and that in the end, it is their money and they ultimately should do what they want. Some will buy Siege 3. To each their own. I do have 3 books from the list though, so I jump around in my collecting.

The one proviso I'd suggest is that you can't go strictly off average prices when looking at the market comprehensively. There is a better chance of getting a high grade Siege #3 through a fluke, I'd guess? Probably not. But some books that are keys or high profile variants are more likely to have "hiccups" where they sell below or above average market prices. This is probably going to be more true in general with very limited variants.

Two books could have the same longterm average but the one with more variance is going to have some beneficial attributes in terms of flipping.

I got my America #2 for $25. I have seen the Comicxposure Gold Virgin Gwen go for maybe $30, raw? At the same time, I'm sure a 9.8 of that with signature would probably average over $500.

I'd say in addition to volatility, the length of your flipping term matters. If you have 20 years, I'd focus on first appearances and Image first issues. 90% may do nothing but the other 10% will. Or stick with a standby classic purchase that tracks at growth that beats inflation.

If you're trying to make enough money to pay for an SDCC trip by flipping books using credit cards (which is a gamble), I'd focus on books with a high medium term value (iconic characters) but also a high volatility. You may want to target untapped markets. So far, my big obervation has been that for a fairly quick flip, pack-in comics where the source is not widely known are a good value. You can get a 10, 15, 20 year old book in uncanny condition. Toy comics -- the right ones -- will sell for more than the toy it's packaged with mint on card. I know one book guaranteed with a certain 90s multipack that can be had for $25 and sold for $250-350 graded 9.8. If I find a sealed pack, I have a guaranteed profit of some kind (although not a guaranteed 9.8). The lack of awareness as to where the book can be consistently found allows me to leverage volatility. I could probably always justify buying one of these multi-packs on a credit card as long as I didn't do it more than around 4 times a month and risk flooding the market. I'll avoid saying what the book is to protect my "trade secret" but I will say it's a reprint that everyone buying it knows is a reprint. Which makes it a gimmick book like a variant cover. But the price volatility (ie. the ability to buy low and sell high in a tight window) makes it good for people who can't afford a long flip. Or if you're just trying to build up enough cash to get a "real" key issue, you could do a slow paced series of flips until you have enough set aside to get a Hulk 181.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:21 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm sure the one 9.8 CGC copy that's currently on eBay will perform at or better than GPA averages.   (thumbsu

-J.

The CGC 9.8 Dell'Otto X-23  auction expired without a bid. A somewhat odd strategy going with a starting bid of $1599.

There are no more CGC 9.8 copies of the book on eBay, so we'll have to see when a new one pops up.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:42 PM, SquareChaos said:

The CGC 9.8 Dell'Otto X-23  auction expired without a bid. A somewhat odd strategy going with a starting bid of $1599.

There are no more CGC 9.8 copies of the book on eBay, so we'll have to see when a new one pops up.

Even if you're willing to shell out more than $1600 on a book, you might not bid on an auction like this because you're guaranteed to be paying at least that much. Some books it's worth starting lower, when you know there's going to be enough demand to cross that theshold anyway.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Even if you're willing to shell out more than $1600 on a book, you might not bid on an auction like this because you're guaranteed to be paying at least that much. Some books it's worth starting lower, when you know there's going to be enough demand to cross that theshold anyway.

Sure, but like I said, there have been - relatively speaking - a lot of these in high grade on eBay over the last month.

Probably one of the hardest to find rare moderns is Fables#6 RRP 9.8.

Hasn't been one available in this condition in years, but would likely fetch ~$1.2-$1.5k

Also, if someone has one in 9.8, ping me. :) 

Edited by sclemons

On 11/05/2017 at 3:15 PM, sclemons said:

Hasn't been one available in this condition in years, but would likely fetch ~$1.2-$1.5k

Heh. Touting a WTB is a double-edged sword - you draw attention to it.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:15 AM, sclemons said:

If you'll pay $1500, I'll gladly sell you my copy. I'll throw in free shipping too (thumbsu