• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

This may be a useful thing to track for anyone looking to pay these type of prices for one of these books, but were I one of those people my very first question concern the difference between a private sale and 'confirmed' private sale.

"Private" just means it isn't on GPA-like probably 99% of comic sales.  In all instances these sales were publicized and confirmed by the involved parties.  

-J.

10 hours ago, divad said:

The Dark Market? Are you sure it wasn't the Darkest Market? Did you have to use the TOR browser to find it? :roflmao:

:signfunny:   Go back to sleep.

But, since I have just acquired 3 variants courtesy of this methodology I'll keep this - :roflmao: That's what I think of the types who struggle in the public arena.

7 hours ago, World Devourer said:

:signfunny:   Go back to sleep.

But, since I have just acquired 3 variants courtesy of this methodology I'll keep this - :roflmao: That's what I think of the types who struggle in the public arena.

Do you actually believe you've had an original thought?:roflmao:Markets have existed for millennia.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:10 PM, Drbearsec said:

#2- Amazing Spider-Man #667, Dell'Otto (2011)- Dropping to #2 this time, but only because there haven't been any copies offered for sale for six months, it was nearly two years ago back in September, 2015 when a VF/NM-ish raw copy of this sold for over $2000 that, in retrospect, seems to have kicked off this "next-level" of prices that people are now willing to pay for even raw copies of some of these truly rare books. At the time, such a high price paid for a raw modern book, no matter how rare, raised more than a few eyebrows, but since then we have seen similar stratospheric prices paid for multiple other books, including this one, which beat its own record when another, VF-looking raw copy sold for $2500 six months later, and a 9.6 copy hit $4k in June, 2016. As a side bonus, the multiple blockbuster sales of this one book officially put the name "Dell'otto" on the map, and raised his profile to the A-lister status shared by other hot and talented artists with names like Campbell, Hughes, and Lee. Possibly one of the rarest books of all in the entire ASM run, it iwas a 1:100 that was originally offered to retailers after they had already submitted their orders for the month, on the heels of the massive ASM 666 retailer variant event, and to make matters even more dicey, there was another variant offered at the same time for weeks beforehand, with a competing incentive, that seemed to cause dealers to either not notice the Dell'otto or not bother to order it at all.   It truly is a completionist's nightmare, and a rare variant hunter's wet dream. Hardly ever offered for sale, in any condition, there are reports of just 225 of these being produced. , and the more time that passes, the more that number looks to be accurate, as however few copies there are seem to have already disappeared into permanent collections, and it is a veritable feeding frenzy when a copy does find its way to market. If there is such a thing as "Golden Age rarity" in the Modern Age, the ASM 667 Dell'Otto has it, and at this rate, there could easily come a time when years go by without a copy seeing the light of day.

AmazingSpider-Man667DellOtto.jpg

Jay - One thread wasn't enough to pimp your book? It must truly pain you to drop it to #2.

9 hours ago, divad said:

Jay - One thread wasn't enough to pimp your book? It must truly pain you to drop it to #2.

What an odd, small little thing for someone to say.  

Business must be bad this month, given the extent of your trolling lately.  

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

What an odd, small little thing for someone to say.  

Business must be bad this month, given the extent of your trolling lately.  

-J.

Trolling? You? You're a ubiquitous self-promoter. How could anyone avoid you??? :roflmao:

Transparency and light are my business. :grin:

Edited by divad

8 hours ago, NamesJay said:

Not to knock anybody's choices, but $9000 for a modern variant!? :whatthe:

I wish I had that kind of expendable income!

:gossip: That was a "Dark Sale" . . .

:roflmao:

58 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

:gossip: By a boardie.  

-J.

Correct. And since divad hasn't actually contributed anything of note, I'm guessing he doesn't have any of the aforementioned gems. Posting emoticons seems to be his forte - but no one wants those (multiple variants but unlimited copies).