• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, World Devourer said:

I also think that the current crisis validates Jay's theory about the rarity of #667.

If there were more copies as some of the naysayers insist, I would have expected some to appear, given that so many people are currently out of work. An instant 10K + would help stave off financial worries for some time. :preach:

Market is still as strong as it has been. I think people are underestimating how many cash transactions are done on a regular basis that are no longer happening. Comic shows, shops and regular pull lists. All gone.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Market is still as strong as it has been. I think people are underestimating how many cash transactions are done on a regular basis that are no longer happening. Comic shows, shops and regular pull lists. All gone.

Agreed - and many a comic shop won't (sadly) be returning. The online market is alive and well. I think as the crisis continues a few gems will be offered up that the owner wouldn't ordinarily part with.

5 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Whoa! Time out!

2 copies of ASM #667 in 9.8?

That's not even possible since we all know they only printed 1.3 copies.  Isn't that the point of this topic - which comics that are otherwise worthless have the lowest number of variants found so far and how many cars or Golden Age comics could you buy for the same price? :kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

I think it's funny that the first comic book variant to "claim the 1 of 1" title is My Little Pony.  That puts a good summary on this idea that "rare" is the most important thing in comics.  We're only a few years from laughing that we ever thought a 21st century comic with 20 copies slabbed was "rare" when there will be dozens of books printed each year from Marvel and DC featuring the biggest characters by the best artists which are manufactured to be 1 of 1.  It's only a matter of time.

If that sounds far-fetched, there are currently 29,151 listings on Ebay for Topps 1 of 1 - completely unique "variant" cards from the biggest card company in history.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XTopps+1%2F1.TRS0&_nkw=Topps+1%2F1&_sacat=0

Slabbed comics showed up after slabbed cards. 

Limited variant comics showed up after limited chase cards. 

1 of 1 comics showed up after 1 of 1 cards. 

There are literally 29,151 listings for cards from Topps (not even including all other card makers) with 1/1 in the auction description.

Comics will follow, they always do.  These modern variant books in this Top Ten or however-many, will slide way down the list when compared to Marvel Holo-Prizm 1-of-1 Spider-Man Greatest-Of-All-Time 1962-2022 Spider-Man 60th Anniversary Contest Champion Variant which sells for $358,944 on Heritage.

Edited by valiantman

New business idea

1) Order a store exclusive for Marvel issue with cover by popular artist.

2) Receive my 2,500 copies of the regular issue, 1,000 copies of my store exclusive, and 500 copies of the B&W store exclusive.

3) Shoot video destroying 499 of the B&W variants on camera and post on YouTube

4) Sell 1 of 1 remaining B&W variant for thousands of dollars

5) Repeat

18 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

New business idea

1) Order a store exclusive for Marvel issue with cover by popular artist.

2) Receive my 2,500 copies of the regular issue, 1,000 copies of my store exclusive, and 500 copies of the B&W store exclusive.

3) Shoot video destroying 499 of the B&W variants on camera and post on YouTube

4) Sell 1 of 1 remaining B&W variant for thousands of dollars

5) Repeat

Why not destroy 499 of the B&W variants on camera and sell pieces of the 1 of 1 remaining like splinters from a baseball bat and threads from pants? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223966744445

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Why not destroy 499 of the B&W variants on camera and sell pieces of the 1 of 1 remaining like splinters from a baseball bat and threads from pants? 

Right now they're drying out Stan Lee's hide, and when it's good and ready they're going to include strips of Stan jerky inserted into comic slabs

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Three decades ago I was a sportscard dealer. I still remember the excitement of cracking box after box of the inaugural Fleer Rookie Sensations Basketball for obscene profits. The first sportscard set with inserts, and the one that killed traditional collecting. Prior to that set, you could be reasonably assured of stocking what your customers wanted. Guy likes Nolan Ryan, here's the 4 Nolan Ryan cards that were made that year. I can't imagine a dealer trying to make a living face to face now. "You got any Lindor cards?" "Sure, here's 180 different ones from this season." "Oh, none of those are the ones I was looking for."

But oh, the joy of stretching the plastic ever so slightly and seeing a pack had two blue edges mixed in with all the white... *swoon*

13 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Three decades ago I was a sportscard dealer. I still remember the excitement of cracking box after box of the inaugural Fleer Rookie Sensations Basketball for obscene profits. The first sportscard set with inserts, and the one that killed traditional collecting. 

Ironic that this thread only exists to celebrate exactly which comic books are killing traditional comic book collecting, as if there was no lesson to be learned from the sportscard industry.  The Joker's pile of money on fire in The Dark Knight might as well have had a Dell'Otto ASM #667 on the stack.  It's not about the money... it's about sending a message. lol

Edited by valiantman