• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, World Devourer said:

In other news I'd say the economic downturn is really hitting home for some - a number of Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 are appearing. Someone is even trying to sell the Danger Girl #2 Ruby Red variant for almost 10K. It's still not worth that much (I'd say $6K), but if you are cashed up at present you could negotiate some good deals.

The online market has never been more lucrative.

1 hour ago, World Devourer said:

Sure. They go hand in hand. Those that need to sell, and those that can buy.

Not really. You're taking doom and gloom approach of people need to sell because they don't have money. I'm saying things are selling at all time highs and people are happy to sell becasue of how much they are selling for. I know I am.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:26 AM, ygogolak said:

Not really. You're taking doom and gloom approach of people need to sell because they don't have money. I'm saying things are selling at all time highs and people are happy to sell becasue of how much they are selling for. I know I am.

I hear what you are saying but the sellers' comments to myself as the buyer say something about their plight.

Edited by World Devourer

12 hours ago, Jaraven7 said:

No disrespect to you modern comic lovers maybe I just dont get it.

Other than liking the artists work on the covers and  at my age which is just before yours the copper era.

And i am not here to offend anyone but realisticaly for them comics to be big money like say action comics #1 amazing fantasy prices,

Havent you guys got to wait till at least 2070 to see any real value on the books?  

Or do you think modern comics will take over the bronze and copper age comics leaving just golden/Silver age and Modern age ruling the value statistics ?

Depends on the character I think. Superman, Batman and Peter Parker are the cornerstones of Marvel and DC but you never had the TV/Movie/Game industry you have now when they had their first appearance.

Any character can take off. Mile Morales, who Sony are fully behind now could garner the same value in quicker time than the 50 year time frame you posted. Same with Venom now that he's actually being used more and more in both comics and film. Grading has helped too as people will be much more willing to pay the premium for a 9.8 over anything less and raw.

However, Superman, Batman and the other big hitters won't die so their first appearances will just keep going up. They'll always rule the roost.

21 minutes ago, Jaraven7 said:

Miles morales ultimate fall out #4 Highest price I no is a 9'8 that sold for $4700 il'd rather buy a  1'0 amazing Fantasy #15 or a o.2 action comics #1 (comics that are worth millons in high grade and coniltinuly rising.

It is all personal preference. Some stay exclusively with Golden, or Silver, or Bronze etc...

As to the "value" of Moderns, variant covers are the lucrative aspect of this period of collecting. The artist, character and rarity are all factors. I believe some will hold their value, others not so much. You don't, however, have to wait years and years to flip some of them.

The Watcher count on many high-priced items on Ebay alone indicates strong interest.

I personally have an interest in Silver/Bronze and Modern. I have 9.8's of various stable issues (eg. ASM #129, GSXM #1, IH #181) but have also invested in some Modern variant gems, such as Moon Knight #1, Thanos #13 etc.

Each to their own. :preach:

Edited by World Devourer

1 minute ago, Jaraven7 said:

I no its personal taste and by no means am.I saying the artwork or comics that are created are bad there preety impressive but if this generation doesn't have no desire to to try to obtain the comics from the generation them comics will never rise that much in value and by by passed by modern moderns.

Time will tell. It is, after all, like any hobby - value is based on perception. Your comic icon is proof positive of that.

17 hours ago, Jaraven7 said:

No disrespect to you modern comic lovers maybe I just dont get it.

Other than liking the artists work on the covers and  at my age which is just before yours the copper era.

And i am not here to offend anyone but realisticaly for them comics to be big money like say action comics #1 amazing fantasy prices,

Havent you guys got to wait till at least 2070 to see any real value on the books?  

Or do you think modern comics will take over the bronze and copper age comics leaving just golden/Silver age and Modern age ruling the value statistics ?

Print runs aren't what they used to be. Many titles are much lower in numbers than they once were. 

8 hours ago, Jaraven7 said:

Do you mean lower run modern comics vs higher older?

I was just referring to print runs of today vs books from the 90's for example. I think that many modern titles these days are in lower print run numbers overall IMO. I think modern books are still very collectible. Aside from variant issues which offer lower print runs, there are many important books and runs to come out of the modern era. I had posted that to add my 2c as to why modern age books are still sought after by many collectors. 

Books such as Edge of Spiderverse 2, Ultimate fallout 4, Young Avengers, Deadpool first ongoing series, Aquaman new 52 run to name a few, have all become favorites with collectors and I find that there are so many interesting characters coming from the modern age that the back issue market for them will continue to stay popular among collectors. Don't get me wrong though, I love so much from the Golden, Silver, Bronze and Copper era as well but moderns definitely have their place. :)

Edited by Timeless icons

13 hours ago, Jaraven7 said:

Yeah I definetly agree with you there with the print runs Xmen #1 that had millons. 

I am not saying I don't like new comics new art I actually do I jist think the prices should be mainly based on age.

Prices are based on what people are willing to pay, and that has everything to do with the supply and the demand.

1 hour ago, Icandothisallday said:

It annoys me when you see comics like Shade the changing man ,Awesome dc character made in the 70s go on ebay for $100 for a 9.6

And you get scarlet spiders or miles morales (don't get me wong I like both if these characters) which is basically spider-mans (who I also love) thousand apperaance go for considerably more.

Its a shame that this new generation doesn't know about these these older cool superheroes uno and why dc and marvel are not rebooting them is beyond me.

If you think they're so undervalued, buy them up cheap

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you think they're so undervalued, buy them up cheap

Exactly. As I said, this is all based on perception. If everyone is hot for something Modern but you like something older, then by all means go ahead. 

As for the "annoyance" factor, my advice is just ignore it. Everyone's different, which is a good thing. If everyone wanted the same item or title, then many, many collectors would miss out.