• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding color touch-ups

6 posts in this topic

Clearly there's a view on these forums about colour touch, but I'll let you decide what to do with your property.

Here's what I know. You need to avoid any paint that would bleed through, or that is so thick it forms a blob on the cover. Watercolours and oils are out, so you are looking at acrylics. There are many sorts of acrylic paints for different applications (artist's acrylics, model paints etc), and I can't help you on which would be best for this application.

Your post got me interested, so I tried a little experiment on a worthless book using Citadel acrylic intended for painting fantasy figures:

$_35.JPG

This stuff covers well, and goes on thin straight from the bottle. When I did that, it didn't bleed through. When I tried thinning it a little with water to get a smoother finish, it certainly did.

You'll also have to match the colour. Some acrylic colours dry quite a bit darker than when they are wet (in my model building experience blues are especially prone to this), so eyeballing a the colour mix won't do - you'll need to paint a little onto a similar surface and then match the dried colour to the book. Don't assume that black is black - there are many shades of black (and white).

But what ever you do, try it out on a worthless book of the same vintage from the same publisher (so the cover stock matches).

This little exercise has given me a new appreciation for the art of retouching - it's way harder than you might first think. I think lots of practice would be required to get good at it.

Clearly there's a view on these forums about colour touch, but I'll let you decide what to do with your property.

Here's what I know. You need to avoid any paint that would bleed through, or that is so thick it forms a blob on the cover. Watercolours and oils are out, so you are looking at acrylics. There are many sorts of acrylic paints for different applications (artist's acrylics, model paints etc), and I can't help you on which would be best for this application.

Your post got me interested, so I tried a little experiment on a worthless book using Citadel acrylic intended for painting fantasy figures:

$_35.JPG

This stuff covers well, and goes on thin straight from the bottle. When I did that, it didn't bleed through. When I tried thinning it a little with water to get a smoother finish, it certainly did.

You'll also have to match the colour. Some acrylic colours dry quite a bit darker than when they are wet (in my model building experience blues are especially prone to this), so eyeballing a the colour mix won't do - you'll need to paint a little onto a similar surface and then match the dried colour to the book. Don't assume that black is black - there are many shades of black (and white).

But what ever you do, try it out on a worthless book of the same vintage from the same publisher (so the cover stock matches).

This little exercise has given me a new appreciation for the art of retouching - it's way harder than you might first think. I think lots of practice would be required to get good at it.

..... Another option is to go to a Printer and inquire about getting a dab or two of Printer's ink in the color you desire. The important thing is to keep a record of what you did with the book, so you don't accidentally sell it as "clean" in the future. I've never actually tried this, so I can't provide any tips. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Don't do it. If you do, don't use a sharpie. There are plenty of black permanent brush tip pens that do not bleed thru.