• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90's "Variants"

45 posts in this topic

Chromium = Gimmick

Publishers (and buyers) cared more about the cover than what came after the cover.

Marvel's relaunch of ASM #1 (Vol. 3) came with how many variant covers? 50? :sick:

They were released April 30, 2014.

They relaunched it ASM AGAIN (Vol. 4) - October 7, 2015. That's a whole bunch of ASM #1's to buy...again. You have to figure that everyone that dropped gobs of money completing the last bunch of variant covers said to themselves 281davo.gif

That can't feel good to a collector.

Marvel feels gimmick > substance.

DC just relaunched "the New 52" not long ago. Now...rebooting again. :insane:

Gimmick > substance

Chromium = Gimmick

Publishers (and buyers) cared more about the cover than what came after the cover.

Marvel's relaunch of ASM #1 (Vol. 3) came with how many variant covers? 50? :sick:

They relaunched it ASM AGAIN (Vol. 4) - October 7, 2015. That's a whole bunch of ASM #1's to buy...again. You have to figure that everyone that dropped gobs of money completing the last bunch of variant covers said to themselves 281davo.gif

Gimmick > substance

Oh for sure. I've bought very few from either. But month after month there are only 10-12 non-big 2 in the top 100 in sales.

Chromium = Gimmick

Gimmick > substance

And Marvel is milking the Star Wars fans to the point where the fans don't care as much about the variants. Every new release, I see less and less interest and more and more variants just sit. And the prices have come down as well.

Eventually, this train will stop. I didn't think so before, but now I believe it will.

This was the 1st retailer variant I remember thats almost true to todays standards..

Featuring a whole new cover not just a diff color scheme/diff cover design

Distributed exclusively to retailers (although not at a 1: ratio)

Created a HUGE buzz and skyrocketed in price almost immediately

28b5a122fa4651f8912ade4a071af35e_xl.jpg

I think that buzz was created almost entirely by "American Comics" (I believe it was them, and not East Coast Comics), the ones who apparently had a huge stock of Adventurers and were pushing them really hard in their monthly flyer. I actually really liked that series, but definitely couldn't see paying the $60 they wanted for that alt cover. I did pick up a copy many years later from LoneStar...for about $3.

I actually really liked that series, but definitely couldn't see paying the $60 they wanted for that alt cover. I did pick up a copy many years later from LoneStar...for about $3.

I went to the Penn Station comic con in 2006 and there were copies in the "FREE COMICS: take as many as you want" boxes (provided by Carbonaro, I think). I didn't take any. lol

This was the 1st retailer variant I remember thats almost true to todays standards..

Featuring a whole new cover not just a diff color scheme/diff cover design

Distributed exclusively to retailers (although not at a 1: ratio)

Created a HUGE buzz and skyrocketed in price almost immediately

28b5a122fa4651f8912ade4a071af35e_xl.jpg

I think that buzz was created almost entirely by "American Comics" (I believe it was them, and not East Coast Comics), the ones who apparently had a huge stock of Adventurers and were pushing them really hard in their monthly flyer. I actually really liked that series, but definitely couldn't see paying the $60 they wanted for that alt cover. I did pick up a copy many years later from LoneStar...for about $3.

And if that claim is true, thats even more proof that this variant was probably the first to be pump'ed n dumpe'd by a retailer lol

But in fairness, this title was hyped by all retailers at the time. MHC/Chuck was pushing it strong, and 1987 Price Guide called it the book of the year. Thats how I heard about it at the time btw..

The gimmicks of today are reprints. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, to the 50th prints. There is no rhyme or reason to a later printing being worth more than the original. These books can literally be almost endlessly printed in ever decreasing quantities. People usually point to the G+ communities as the cause for the hype but it comes from here and other sites as well. In fact, almost every website has someone pushing later prints. This is the area where people buying for investment and not collections are exposed to the greatest risk.

We bought reprints as kids because there were almost no other way to read a book that was out of print and there were no trades. People want to say different covers drive prices but what about Marvel Tales ? Marvel Triple Action ? Marvel Super-heroes ? And the list goes on.

Watching what has happened with later printings and their inflated values might cause people to quit buying first prints altogether. Who wants the cheaper copy if they both originally cost the same price ? Where is the risk in waiting ? Devaluing 1st prints is probably the least thought out plan we've witnessed in comics collecting and that takes into account the '90s gimmicks. It doesn't seem sustainable that pictures, not stories, can carry a market. If people just want the covers, why not just sell the pictures individually and skip the interior pages ? Win for the companies and the end buyers from a cost perspective.

The gimmicks of today are reprints. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, to the 50th prints. There is no rhyme or reason to a later printing being worth more than the original. These books can literally be almost endlessly printed in ever decreasing quantities. People usually point to the G+ communities as the cause for the hype but it comes from here and other sites as well. In fact, almost every website has someone pushing later prints. This is the area where people buying for investment and not collections are exposed to the greatest risk.

We bought reprints as kids because there were almost no other way to read a book that was out of print and there were no trades. People want to say different covers drive prices but what about Marvel Tales ? Marvel Triple Action ? Marvel Super-heroes ? And the list goes on.

Watching what has happened with later printings and their inflated values might cause people to quit buying first prints altogether. Who wants the cheaper copy if they both originally cost the same price ? Where is the risk in waiting ? Devaluing 1st prints is probably the least thought out plan we've witnessed in comics collecting and that takes into account the '90s gimmicks. It doesn't seem sustainable that pictures, not stories, can carry a market. If people just want the covers, why not just sell the pictures individually and skip the interior pages ? Win for the companies and the end buyers from a cost perspective.

This is a sensible and logical end result if current micro trends accelerate and collectors overtake readers.

However, I think the implosion of the printed medium driven by digits conversion, generational preferences and over-investment of printing companies into materials will kill floppies before the secondary market suppresses print runs in substantial quantities. If anything we will likely continue to see variants with new and unique fulfillment requirements pop up as DC/Marvel/etc try to claim some of the secondary market profits.

Or maybe not.

A 2nd print with a different cover image is a cheaper way to get a variant than buying a ratio variant. The ones that have gone up in value typically have a better cover as well, which drives demand. It's all about covers currently. And for the producer (Marvel), the cover image is not new art but simply a panel from the story (saves cost).

A 2nd print with a different cover image is a cheaper way to get a variant than buying a ratio variant. The ones that have gone up in value typically have a better cover as well, which drives demand. It's all about covers currently. And for the producer (Marvel), the cover image is not new art but simply a panel from the story (saves cost).

Modern covers are just interior panels?

For 2nd prints and the ones that seem to be more sought after, yes.

A lot of the 2nd print covers that Marvel has produced are just splash pages from the story. Wolverine Origins #28, New Avengers Annual #1, Wolverine #66, etc... (I would bet the new cover du-jour, ASM #654 as well)

Monstress #1 2nd print however is not featured in the book. Of course that's Image.

A lot of the 2nd print covers that Marvel has produced are just splash pages from the story. Wolverine Origins #28, New Avengers Annual #1, Wolverine #66, etc... (I would bet the new cover du-jour, ASM #654 as well)

Monstress #1 2nd print however is not featured in the book. Of course that's Image.

Interesting

xjILB6X.jpg

Interesting

xjILB6X.jpg

I was not aware of it either until I read a couple. (Don't tell anyone I'm actually reading these things).

Captain Marvel #17 2nd print is new art, I believe.