• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90's "Variants"

45 posts in this topic

The gimmicks of today are reprints. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, to the 50th prints. There is no rhyme or reason to a later printing being worth more than the original. These books can literally be almost endlessly printed in ever decreasing quantities. People usually point to the G+ communities as the cause for the hype but it comes from here and other sites as well. In fact, almost every website has someone pushing later prints. This is the area where people buying for investment and not collections are exposed to the greatest risk.

We bought reprints as kids because there were almost no other way to read a book that was out of print and there were no trades. People want to say different covers drive prices but what about Marvel Tales ? Marvel Triple Action ? Marvel Super-heroes ? And the list goes on.

Watching what has happened with later printings and their inflated values might cause people to quit buying first prints altogether. Who wants the cheaper copy if they both originally cost the same price ? Where is the risk in waiting ? Devaluing 1st prints is probably the least thought out plan we've witnessed in comics collecting and that takes into account the '90s gimmicks. It doesn't seem sustainable that pictures, not stories, can carry a market. If people just want the covers, why not just sell the pictures individually and skip the interior pages ? Win for the companies and the end buyers from a cost perspective.

A 2nd print with a different cover image is a cheaper way to get a variant than buying a ratio variant. The ones that have gone up in value typically have a better cover as well, which drives demand. It's all about covers currently. And for the producer (Marvel), the cover image is not new art but simply a panel from the story (saves cost).

Modern covers are just interior panels?

For 2nd prints and the ones that seem to be more sought after, yes.

A lot of the 2nd print covers that Marvel has produced are just splash pages from the story. Wolverine Origins #28, New Avengers Annual #1, Wolverine #66, etc... (I would bet the new cover du-jour, ASM #654 as well)

Monstress #1 2nd print however is not featured in the book. Of course that's Image.

A lot of the Civil War tie-ins as well.

The gimmicks of today are reprints. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, to the 50th prints. There is no rhyme or reason to a later printing being worth more than the original. These books can literally be almost endlessly printed in ever decreasing quantities. People usually point to the G+ communities as the cause for the hype but it comes from here and other sites as well. In fact, almost every website has someone pushing later prints. This is the area where people buying for investment and not collections are exposed to the greatest risk.

We bought reprints as kids because there were almost no other way to read a book that was out of print and there were no trades. People want to say different covers drive prices but what about Marvel Tales ? Marvel Triple Action ? Marvel Super-heroes ? And the list goes on.

Watching what has happened with later printings and their inflated values might cause people to quit buying first prints altogether. Who wants the cheaper copy if they both originally cost the same price ? Where is the risk in waiting ? Devaluing 1st prints is probably the least thought out plan we've witnessed in comics collecting and that takes into account the '90s gimmicks. It doesn't seem sustainable that pictures, not stories, can carry a market. If people just want the covers, why not just sell the pictures individually and skip the interior pages ? Win for the companies and the end buyers from a cost perspective.

A 2nd print with a different cover image is a cheaper way to get a variant than buying a ratio variant. The ones that have gone up in value typically have a better cover as well, which drives demand. It's all about covers currently. And for the producer (Marvel), the cover image is not new art but simply a panel from the story (saves cost).

Modern covers are just interior panels?

For 2nd prints and the ones that seem to be more sought after, yes.

A lot of the 2nd print covers that Marvel has produced are just splash pages from the story. Wolverine Origins #28, New Avengers Annual #1, Wolverine #66, etc... (I would bet the new cover du-jour, ASM #654 as well)

Monstress #1 2nd print however is not featured in the book. Of course that's Image.

Interesting

xjILB6X.jpg

I was not aware of it either until I read a couple. (Don't tell anyone I'm actually reading these things).

Captain Marvel #17 2nd print is new art, I believe.

If it's not, a lot of people dropped a lot of money to get a reprinted "first appearance" page. If I'm not mistaken, that art was initially supposed to be a cover for Ms. Marvel #1

If it's not, a lot of people dropped a lot of money to get a reprinted "first appearance" page. If I'm not mistaken, that art was initially supposed to be a cover for Ms. Marvel #1

Right, as I said though, people are already doing that with the other 2nd prints.