• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will newstand comics prove to be the rarest variant?
1 1

93 posts in this topic

I have to admit that I never truly understood why people would pay so much more money for variants. If it was a totally different cover or something than yes I get it but price or direct vs newsstand puzzles me. I am a collector of cards and comics so yes I understand how collectors think but it’s amazing to see how much extra money people spend. I collect comics to read so I guess the graded and variant part of the hobby never interested me.

4 hours ago, kidcolt said:

I have to admit that I never truly understood why people would pay so much more money for variants. If it was a totally different cover or something than yes I get it but price or direct vs newsstand puzzles me. I am a collector of cards and comics so yes I understand how collectors think but it’s amazing to see how much extra money people spend. I collect comics to read so I guess the graded and variant part of the hobby never interested me.

To be fair, different prices for direct/newsstand versions of the same issue is barely a thing, despite how much certain people are pushing for it. Most collectors don't really care either way.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

To be fair, different prices for direct/newsstand versions of the same issue is barely a thing, despite how much certain people are pushing for it. Most collectors don't really care either way.

The same can be said for the 30 and 35 cents variants from the 70's.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

The same can be said for the 30 and 35 cents variants from the 70's.  (shrug)

I've gotta be honest. I don't get the whole .30 .35 cent thing. Especially the price difference between the Star Wars #1.

Edited by oakman29

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I've gotta be honest. I don't get the whole .30 .35 cent thing. Especially the price difference between the Star Wars #1.

Scarcity, scarcity, scarcity... that special cookie feeling.  : )  Only  ~1500 copies printed per Overstreet, with about a third surviving (hence the immense price gap).

http://www.recalledcomics.com/StarWars1-35cents.php

Plus there are crazed Star Wars fans out there who aren’t even comics collectors but eat up the vintage scarce stuff no matter the cost.

Edited by exitmusicblue

9 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Scarcity, scarcity, scarcity... that special cookie feeling.  : )  Only  ~1500 copies printed per Overstreet, with about a third surviving (hence the immense price gap).

Plus there are crazed Star Wars fans out there who aren’t even comics collectors but eat up the vintage scarce stuff no matter the cost.

Thanks so much for the history lesson.:roflmao:

16 hours ago, oakman29 said:

:whatthe:

10 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

41 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Thanks so much for the history lesson.:roflmao:

40919244.jpg

I look at variants as a sub set of the over all hobby-- some folks get really into that type of stuff. But the key word there is some. What they lack in population, they make up for in passion for their collecting niche. I find some of those types of discussions fascinating and very informative. The depth of research is interesting to me.

I do have a few examples of the various price/mark jeweler/value stamps/etc types of variants-- a handful of English editions (I don't see them as variants personally)-- that I have acquired working on various runs. Never had any urge to try and get them all but I do like that I have those samples. Even cooler is when you find you have one of them in your collection that you never noticed before.

Of all of them though-- I probably have the least interest in the manufactured variants that are so prevalent in modern comics.

31 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I look at variants as a sub set of the over all hobby-- some folks get really into that type of stuff. But the key word there is some. What they lack in population, they make up for in passion for their collecting niche. I find some of those types of discussions fascinating and very informative. The depth of research is interesting to me.

I do have a few examples of the various price/mark jeweler/value stamps/etc types of variants-- a handful of English editions (I don't see them as variants personally)-- that I have acquired working on various runs. Never had any urge to try and get them all but I do like that I have those samples. Even cooler is when you find you have one of them in your collection that you never noticed before.

Of all of them though-- I probably have the least interest in the manufactured variants that are so prevalent in modern comics.

You're right. The key is "some". Some do, some don't.

"Manufatured variants", like "test market variants"? Those are worthless, because they were "manufactured".

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Well put.  MJ variants get a bump for the same reason.

You can like ‘em or not, but I’m with reality.  Even the naysayers don’t mind selling at a premium.