• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylites2 v Mylites4: Dawn of a New Collector

21 posts in this topic

Well, hello!

My name is Joe, and I'm new to both the boards and collecting. I started collecting floppies about 3 or so years ago, and have massive stacks piling up in our guest bedroom (probably around 400 or so). Some are bagged and boarded, but the vast majority aren't. So really what I'm trying to figure out are the collecting basics.

I've pretty much decided upon E. Gerber for my bags and boards, but the specific kinds are what I'm struggling with. I'm looking at Mylites2s and 4s for bags, and half-backs and full-backs for boards. I'm about 99% sure I want full-backs, but I suppose that could depend on the bags I go with. I know the 2s work well with the full-backs, but how about the 4s? And are the 4s really worth it? Are 4s so rigid that they will be wavy (not lay flat over the comic + board)?

As I said, I'm a new collector, so my collection is primarily New 52 and beyond comics. I know most of these don't really have much actual value. But I'm a bit OCD, and they're valuable to me, so I want to preserve them the best that I can (within reason... double bagging seems like overkill). I see people talking about 4s for their Golden Age collections, so I feel like they're probably considered overkill, but if there's some measurable difference in quality/protection, then I don't mind spending more.

Additionally, should I go with standards or stick to currents?

And are there storage boxes/bins that people would recommend? Standard cardboard short/longboxes seem to be the standard, but it seems like some sort of sealed bin would protect them better?

Sorry for all the questions. Anything would be appreciated!

Thanks so much for reading!

Well, hello!

My name is Joe, and I'm new to both the boards and collecting.... I've pretty much decided upon E. Gerber for my bags and boards, but the specific kinds are what I'm struggling with... should I go with standards or stick to currents?

Welcome to the boards!!

I ended up going with 725 M2's with 700 Fullbacks for floppies and 914 M2's for slabs.

This thread provides a great visual comparison for you:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3413482

Frankly, nothing looks better than a book all snug in Mylar.

Regarding FB's vs HB's... FB's are a bit thicker, so I ended up getting fewer into a comics box. But, for me, they are ROCK SOLID and add extra protection... I would recommend these for books you want to keep for the long haul.

And are there storage boxes/bins that people would recommend? Standard cardboard short/longboxes seem to be the standard, but it seems like some sort of sealed bin would protect them better?

I think the standard cardboard boxes are probably the best... I'd wonder about off-gassing from sealed bins if they were plastic... or even the trapping of the comic's gasses as it does the same... But I don't really know my from my elbow with this stuff.

Regardless, cardboard boxes are fit for purpose - which will help stand up your books and keep them ship-shape. Sticking a spare backing board in between the side of the box and the bottom fold-up flap will hold it in place and help keep more light out.

If you like Mylite2's, you will love Mylite 4's. The 4mils are thick enough that I don't even use backer boards on them (though you need to be gentle handling them). It's great for comics you want to be able to view the back on.

-Terry

I tried 4s once... Way too thick of plastic for my liking. 2s all the way

Did they not fit right? Look wavy? Were you using them with boards? Or just personal preference? I feel like this is the way for me to go, but I can't shake the idea that a thicker bag is inherently better.

Mylites2/Fullbacks - Can't go wrong.

What size are you using? Standard or current (for currents)? Or does it not really matter?

M4 + FB = impenetrable time capsule.

So they do work together. I keep feeling like I'm not going to be able to get my comics in. What size would you recommend for current issues?

This thread provides a great visual comparison for you

This is super helpful. Awesome post.

Thank you to everyone else for your posts. Figuring all of this out before spending a lot of money can be a bit overwhelming. I really appreciate you all helping me.

4s are way too thick. 2s are more than sufficient.

I personally use 2s along with the fullbacks.

I like the 4's but they are open to the atmosphere, and over time the top of the book will be darker than the rest of the book.

I am really anal I guess, but I use 2 mil 775 bags with a 750 FB placing the the top of the book at the sealed end of the bag. I then slide that into a 4 mil 800 sleeve with the flap at the bottom.

Best of both worlds, very rigid and max protection.

If you like Mylite2's, you will love Mylite 4's. The 4mils are thick enough that I don't even use backer boards on them (though you need to be gentle handling them). It's great for comics you want to be able to view the back on.

-Terry

The full or half back provide an alkaline buffer to prevent the paper from becoming more acidic

The only books that you might get away with this on are moderns.

Any books with newsprint will age prematurely without a buffered throughout board as the acid in the newsprint feeds upon itself in an autocatalytic reaction.

The full or half back provide an alkaline buffer to prevent the paper from becoming more acidic

The only books that you might get away with this on are moderns.

Any books with newsprint will age prematurely without a buffered throughout board as the acid in the newsprint feeds upon itself in an autocatalytic reaction.

That's something I'd been interested in researching but hadn't got around to...

The glossy paper, the high volume of ink etc vs newsprint... How acidic are modern books? How crazily do they breakdown? I know we haven't had the time required yet, but wondering if anyone has done any research...

Sorry for the delayed response. Been out of pocket for a bit, but thank you to everyone who responded. It really helped a lot!

Anywho, for some follow-up...

I decided to go with the 725 (standard) M2s and 700 (standard) full-backs. Literally everything in my collection right now is modern/current, but I actually think I prefer the look of the extra buffer on the sides, plus I figure it factors in a bit more side protection.

I do have a few more questions though...

1) I bought some of the E. Gerber double-sided archival tape. How would you recommend using that? One long strip? One short strip? A few short strips?

2) "Acid free." Everywhere I look I see acid free boxes, bags, storage boxes, tape, microchamber paper, etc. I figured with the M2s and full-backs, I had mitigated my acid problems, but apparently not. So what's the deal? Do I need acid-free storage boxes, tape, and microchamber paper too? I've been looking at The Collection Drawer's DrawerBoxes, and they seem really nice, but they don't appear to be acid-free.

3) Maybe a dumb question, but can you put trades in a storage box? Mostly just asking about the weight.

4) What is the deal with microchamber paper? Once again, do I need this if I'm using M2s and full-backs? If it helps... everything in my collection is modern, so nothing is on that old newsprint.

Thanks again!

I use Standard for everything mid-70's and up, when the books got a little smaller, Silver/Gold on everything else. I would never use the Current or Modern size in any supplies, you always want to have extra clearance on the corners to prevent damage from bumps and drops.