• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your favorite TINTIN books?

51 posts in this topic

Tintin is probably the most popular comic strip in the world.

It was the first comic I ever read (circa 1970) - Destination Moon / Explorers On The Moon would be the two albums I first had. Still occasionally reread them now. Fabulous stuff.

I generally agree with Doohickey's ratings. The two Moon books and Seven Crystal Balls / Prisoners of The Sun were always favourites, although the Calculus Affair (very hard-hitting installment compared to the others), the Red Sea Sharks and Flight 714 were not far behind. All the classic adventures are great, so it's hard to leave any out.

A lot of the tales were redrawn, notably Cigars Of The Pharoah. I don't think Tintin In The Congo was ever published by Methuen. Tintin In America and The Land Of The Soviets were the first complete adventures, and were not redrawn, and are consequently very primitive compared to the far more enlightened later tales, such as Tintin In Tibet.

Apart from the definitely inferior Lake Of Sharks album, there were a couple of albums that were taken from the two live action Tintin films from the 1960s - Tintin And The Golden Fleece, and Tintin And The Blue Oranges. Worth a look, but not in any way essential.

Asterix was great too - all the books that were published up until Goscinny's death are worth owning.

greetings from the land of tin tin.

I live down the road from the Herge museum, its great.

ELOTSbJ.jpg

Around Brussels you will find some huge bandes denai art including Tin Tin

tdmqSMQ.jpg

and

XKT5sZr.jpg

also in the subway terminal

sRQy5Di.jpg

and even some "street artists" incorporate Tin Tin

rVcgRIy.jpg

Ive read some TinTin since moving here... my favorites are:

Destination Moon & Explorers on the Moon and the Tintin in Tibet story...

That is soooo cool !!! I love that stairway one with Captain Haddock, Snowy and Tin Tin are going down

Senormac, how's that Tintin game book?

Some of the games are fun/amusing. I imagine in the days before ipad, headphones, cell phones, facebook and endless music and movie choices on personal tech devices... that it would have been a great diversion for kids on a long trip in the auto. It's 36 pages of Herge / Tin Tin stuff. Heres a couple of pictures of some of the pages so you can get a taste of what it's about. It's mostly problem solving, sequence figuring, puzzle challenges and my favorite.... Find the 32 wrong things in this picture picture. I think a lot of these got scissors taken to them.

IMG_20160429_165013541_HDR_zpsxy4ywlke.jpg

IMG_20160429_164357243_zps60vtfaw0.jpg

IMG_20160429_164557798_zpsox1zz76p.jpg

IMG_20160429_164223354_HDR_zps8iuyjydv.jpg

Some of the games are fun/amusing. I imagine in the days before ipad, headphones, cell phones, facebook and endless music and movie choices on personal tech devices... that it would have been a great diversion for kids on a long trip in the auto. It's 36 pages of Herge / Tin Tin stuff. Heres a couple of pictures of some of the pages so you can get a taste of what it's about. It's mostly problem solving, sequence figuring, puzzle challenges and my favorite.... Find the 32 wrong things in this picture picture. I think a lot of these got scissors taken to them.

IMG_20160429_165013541_HDR_zpsxy4ywlke.jpg

IMG_20160429_164357243_zps60vtfaw0.jpg

IMG_20160429_164557798_zpsox1zz76p.jpg

I particularly like the Ramburger Stand. Never had a Ramburger before.

I particularly like the Ramburger Stand. Never had a Ramburger before.

There are 32 mistakes on this page :)

This was always my fave:

rin%20tin%20tin_zpsylimhflc.jpg

Double entendre thread alert !!

That's way more blatant than the Superman "Foot" panel

Some of the games are fun/amusing. I imagine in the days before ipad, headphones, cell phones, facebook and endless music and movie choices on personal tech devices... that it would have been a great diversion for kids on a long trip in the auto. It's 36 pages of Herge / Tin Tin stuff.

Thanks for the response and pics. I will have to pick that up if I can find it for a decent price.

I have 4 other Tintin books on order... Can't wait to read 'em.

Back in 07' I was talking to a friend of mine from India about my comic book collecting and he started telling me about Tintin books, I go what are those? He said he use to read them when he was a kid in India. He told me when he was going to a tech college here in the states that there was like a Tintin following among all the college nerds for lack of a better term, that would read and collect these books, not necessarily for their value, but just to find any copy to read and share among them whether it was a 1st print or 5th print didn't really matter.

I guess the fascination among them regarding Tintin was partly due to many of them coming from different countries and many of them had read the same Tintin books as kids even though they came from different languages. Anyways when I started looking into the books and how rare the original 1930's editions are and the amounts of money they have sold for I was intrigued and eventually got hooked.

After I did some research I knew I wanted to collect the American versions "Golden Press" 1st editions 1958-1960. They only printed six different stories as a test market (print runs of around 10k each on the first four and even less on the last two books) and they were fairly hard to find in any decent shape back then and even harder now. They also printed the six stories in a library version with these plain one color canvas covers that are even have less of a print run.

After that I decided to also look for the English "Methuen" 1st editions because they were more readily available (bigger print runs) and I could get to read all the stories besides the six American versions. I still keep an eye out for these books and try and upgrade here and there, a lot of these books are well loved and very hard to find in near mint condition, especially the "Golden Press" editions with their cardboard and paper hinge spines.

The stories and art are awesome! A ton of printing history, censorship history, translation history, etc. just a ton of fun to delve into and learn about. :)

American Golden Press first editions,

IMG_2554_zpsqwobdlpn.jpg

Most of the English Metheun first editions,

IMG_2553_zps7nttzsuq.jpg

Such a cool story and pics... Neat to see what the books looked like back in the day. (Do those fit into CGC slabs....? Kidding...)

This was always my fave:

That's one of the rare, obscure Tintin titles isn't it? That's funny how you Photoshopped it to look like it's a "Rin Tin Tin" comic. Here's the original version before Kav toyed with it, in case anybody's curious:

Like it. (thumbs u

And oh, by the way, I feel bad for that last elephant in your by-line. He's not too smart, is he?

This was always my fave:

That's one of the rare, obscure Tintin titles isn't it? That's funny how you Photoshopped it to look like it's a "Rin Tin Tin" comic. Here's the original version before Kav toyed with it, in case anybody's curious:

Like it. (thumbs u

And oh, by the way, I feel bad for that last elephant in your by-line. He's not too smart, is he?

Sergio !! :applause:

Back in the late '70s when my mom took me to a local library to set me up with my own library card. She told me to go find any book I like and borrow for home to read. That was how I found TIntin and Asterix in youth/child book section. As well the same with the library bus where they come to my school. The bus was a mobile library on wheels.

My faves are Secerts of The Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure, Desenation Moon/ Explorers on the Moon. Next were Prisoners of the Sun/ Seven Cystral Balls.

I had read all of the series serval times over and over. They are fun always!

Saw this in the OA section. Figured it should go here too:

Article: ‘Tintin’ Art Sells at Auction for $1.2 Million

'King Ottokar's Sceptre' tells story of fictitious European country invaded by neighbor

By Inti Landauro

Apr 30, 2016 4:20 pm ET

PARIS–The original drawings of the last two pages of a 1930s Tintin comic book sold Saturday for €1.05 million ($1.2 million) at an auction in Paris.

The two pages include the punch line—an extremely rare wink from Tintin to his readers—of the album “King Ottokar’s Sceptre,” made by the late Belgian artist Georges Rémi, better known as Hergé, in the late 1930s. The book is cherished by fans, as it told in 1939 the story of a small, fictitious Central European country threatened by an invasion from an aggressive neighboring country. The adventure of the Belgian reporter referred to the invasion of Czechoslovakia by Nazi Germany that happened at the same time.

Funny:

The hefty prices fetched by comic-book items during the sale, the fourth one held by Artcurial in the past year, show how this market is developing thanks to the rising appetite of middle-aged men who now can afford to spend lavishly on memorabilia from their childhood.