• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HALO grading?

62 posts in this topic

Sending my books to Australia, no I don't think so. That case is fugly. What's up with the black widow on the label?

that's Australian for beer. or something. Can't remember. Had too many black widows last night.

It's a red back spider. Unique to Australia.

So some guy working out of his garage in Australia with only a couple Koala bears as assistants can make a case free of newton rings and pressure waves????

Maybe CGC can fly one of the Koala bears over to assist with their new case.

It's not koala bears. doh! get your facts straight. It's dingoes.

Not "Koala bear" just "Koala".

Australian's are just a big joke to the rest of the world. lol

What bits are a big joke? Or just everything. Good to Know.

Forgive that misplaced apostrophe.

No offence meant. I am also Australian. The Simpsons episode lampooning Australia is a good example of what I mean. I think it is very Australian to be self-deprecating.

It's okay. You can poke fun at Americans, or better yet, Canadians. It's all good :grin:

hm

My favorite Canadian :cloud9:

Sending my books to Australia, no I don't think so. That case is fugly. What's up with the black widow on the label?

that's Australian for beer. or something. Can't remember. Had too many black widows last night.

It's a red back spider. Unique to Australia.

So some guy working out of his garage in Australia with only a couple Koala bears as assistants can make a case free of newton rings and pressure waves????

Maybe CGC can fly one of the Koala bears over to assist with their new case.

It's not koala bears. doh! get your facts straight. It's dingoes.

Not "Koala bear" just "Koala".

Australian's are just a big joke to the rest of the world. lol

What bits are a big joke? Or just everything. Good to Know.

Forgive that misplaced apostrophe.

No offence meant. I am also Australian. The Simpsons episode lampooning Australia is a good example of what I mean. I think it is very Australian to be self-deprecating.

It's okay. You can poke fun at Americans, or better yet, Canadians. It's all good :grin:

hm

My favorite Canadian :cloud9:

:(

Having seen some online in OZ, their grading is loose, and the companies owner sells his own slabbed books himself.

I would be very wary on buying a HALO slab tbh.

Very interesting. Beige are you able to expand on this as there are similar allegations circling around HALO CERTIFICATION LLP United States.

There was a FB thread this morning about this, alleging a conflict of interest, but it got pulled before anything further came out, because the person allegedly in charge of the US operations began calling everyone a liar, loser or worse.

There's been some strange, and unfortunate twists in this story. To give you guys some background to my previous post, the person allegedly at the center of the HALO controversy that erupted in Facebook groups from about a month ago was a Mateo Adame of Birmingham Alabama. It was alleged he was operating HALO out of the US.

According to the screenshot below, he has now allegedly scammed multiple collectors for around $14K.

The person posting this warning below is 100% accurate in his assessment that the writing has been on the wall with this individual, but for some unknown reason the admins of the page allowed it to continue with no intervention or so much as an alert.

I personally made repeated attempts to warn one of the admins as far back as March 2015 (see my screenshot below).

No alert or warning was ever issued, and when I pressed the admin to produce a police report, they decided to delete me from the group instead.

This is a public service warning to those who may encounter any of the named individuals (with the exception of the OP posting the warning) in future dealings - my opinion based on my experience in dealing with two of the named individuals is to steer wide and clear:

Nicks-Comic-Auctions_zpsj4gressx.jpg

Below is my original response in Brian's thread, and chain of comments which consequently led to the admin Nick Nichols removing me from the group.

NickNichols.jpg

If anyone is wanting context to the allegations of money being held against people's will, and/or of the admin's mishandling of numerous issues brought to light in the past concerning Mateo, here is a fairly long chain (not complete as I wasn't able to capture nested comments after I was removed). It leads right into my comment and exchange with the admin, which you have in it's entirety above this post, at least up until the point he removed me from the group:

Nick_Mateo_thread.jpg

4 hours ago, Jo Seph said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know how their grading compares to CGC? After a key book thats graded 2.5 by Halo, but unsure how itll stack up in industry standards.

Here's a hint. Don't do that.

There's a great deal of written warning if you just take a moment to read the posts above. Some of the bigger Facebook groups which hadn't been corrupted by the bad operators, friends and admins still have some mentions of the people, issues and concerns. To your specific question, this is one image (not mine) posted by one of the group members:

halo.jpg

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I think there are a couple more fly by night grading companies out there. I would stick to CGC and forget the rest. Having a restoration expert is essential with GA/SA/BA books!

For CGC to have legitimate competition, you would need something like the founder of CGC starting a second grading company so that CGC would be held up to its original standard while also being kept away from monopoly control. That could be a good thing for everyone in the industry.

I was contemplating getting some books graded from Halo as they're local to me here in Brisbane - not to flip, just so I could get a grade and have them protected.

However after reading this thread I'm super wary of doing so.

If I were to sell them in the future for whatever reason, I dont want to get stitched up like the above poster and find out theyre restored or missing pages or whatever.

Any knowledge on the best and cheapest way to get the books to CGC from aus?

Do they come to any cons? I've never seen any CGC reps over here.