• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BEST AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VARIANTS - THE CREAM OF THE CROP

105 posts in this topic

in this thread I would like to discuss and share my favourite Amazing Spider-man variants - this isn't about the value of a few of the books, we all know that there are a couple that go for crazy money from the constant threads focusing on a handful of books - this thread is a free-for-all where everyone can share their love of Spider-man variant covers or even regular modern ASM covers.

:cloud9:

To kick it off, one of my favourites ASM variant artists is Marcos Martin.

BOOM - take a look at this wraparound beauty!!

4cd2c63edc83f.jpg

I bought this one, I thought the concept was pretty cool naming the talent involved in the series over the years.

Probably the perfect book to take advantage of that blank back on the new CGC labe.

:cloud9:

504fb308babca.jpg

image_zpskjva0zu3.jpeg

VUx9IUp.jpg

Edited by bababooey

A lot of people bash the big two, I can't say I'm fond of a lot of decisions that are made but one thing I'm fairly clear on is when things started to go wrong, I sort of look at the era where Spider-man joined the Avengers as when things started to go down hill.

They decided that The Avengers needed Spider-man and Wolverine added to the line up around ASM 520 and shortly after that an epic all-Spidey series cross-over called "The Other" and with that came the start of endless variants for most new issues of Amazing.

meh

Here's one. I think the one with an Ock armed Spidey actually got hot for 10 minutes during Superior. lol

525-b.jpg

A lot of people bash the big two, I can't say I'm fond of a lot of decisions that are made but one thing I'm fairly clear on is when things started to go wrong, I sort of look at the era where Spider-man joined the Avengers as when things started to go down hill.

They decided that The Avengers needed Spider-man and Wolverine added to the line up around ASM 520 and shortly after that an epic all-Spidey series cross-over called "The Other" and with that came the start of endless variants for most new issues of Amazing.

meh

Here's one. I think the one with an Ock armed Spidey actually got hot for 10 minutes during Superior. lol

They were already well down the hill at that point. That's just when they decided to fire the boosters.

meh

They were already well down the hill at that point. That's just when they decided to fire the boosters.

Oh sure there were variants for special issues like the 25th & first issue of Volume 2.

Prior to that the connecting white cassette variants, wanted posters and the 400th issue - you have to reach back to the gimmicks of the 90's though to find a lot of other examples. The fact that V2 issue 50 and ASM 500 didn't have variant covers, that wouldn't happen today.

For the last five years there is at least one variant cover for every regular cover - sure there are a few dozen issues with no variant but those are made up for by the many issues with more than five variant covers - I'm not even counting the store variants for 666.

Edited by bababooey

Not a variant but it's a Marcos Martin cover & for the first time in this thread I'm using one of my pics!

:acclaim:

143637.jpg

Luckily when I was (and still am) grabbing these whenever I see them I've also been buying the Flash/Venom books that were in nice shape.

So I got that going for me.

GoofySmile.gif

Not a variant but it's a Marcos Martin cover & for the first time in this thread I'm using one of my pics!

:acclaim:

143637.jpg

Luckily when I was (and still am) grabbing these whenever I see them I've also been buying the Flash/Venom books that were in nice shape.

So I got that going for me.

GoofySmile.gif

What issue is this? Hard to see from the pic.

I have that one (not signed/numbered) I passed on the Mayhew when I had a chance to grab it for a couple bucks over cover & like it better now than I did then.

:censored:

Here's another JR SR cover. :cloud9:

ASM%20SIXFORTYTWO%20VAR.jpg

oops huge pic now spoilered

Edited by bababooey

Can't find a decent pic one of those right now but I did stumble across this one when looking.

I like this MJ cover, not even a variant, it's the cover of ASM 671 - the original art is posted in CAF. :luhv:

I won't post that but I will repost below without all the cover clutter.

2073411-asm_671_001.jpg

amazing%20spider%20man%20671.jpg

I'm a Ramos fan but this is one of those "WTF Ramos" issues where you open up and it to read it and the art doesn't come close to what's on the cover & even the cover has a wonky eye.