• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The wife excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I lost my job excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

The Alberta one is totally plausible. Like 100%

Until you realize he's cutting and pasting the same line to multiple sellers.

:D

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :banana:

It's not mid-afternoon yet...why am I up right now...?

When buyers insist "I WILL PAY YOU" (yes, all in caps) or start offering details about their wife, car, job, rent or credit card... It's a red flag. Almost always, it ends with... “I have to cancel...”.

Hey...that's rego49mario! He's been giving me the exact same line, verbatim!

This is exactly the same message I got:

"Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .

3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc. "

:roflmao: That's right! I didn't want to post his ID but yes, that's him. The funny thing is that he kept on insisting that “I WILL PAY YOU” for about a month up until Friday. Next morning, I received his message to cancel.

So, some time between Friday night and Saturday morning, he gets laid off, arranges to move back in with his parents but is considerate enough to message me that he can't pay for my $350 book because he "must eat". Talk about living a lean life.

Tread lightly there. I had a collectible figure set up for sale one Christmas. This mother kept emailing to lower the price and how her kids want them. I did tell her they really were not for playing, etc. Of course she hits the BIN and then later on states one of the figures was broken. Of course a partial refund to her original price "fixed" the problem. I did so because too much headaches and it was Christmas. Next time, I would just block them from bidding.

I have an auction ending today the current bid is $133.50, I received a note:

"Can you please do $80 right now? It's all I really have." Thought that was funny.

Got this one a month ago after he sniped an auction and went dark for 2 weeks. Only replied after I opened a NPB.

"Hey sorry for the late reply but I have been under the weather with the flu and now having some serious car troubles. I actually have an appointment at 8:30 am as my hyundai elantra with only 39,000 miles on it, came up with an error code for my engine. It came back after the diagnostic as a catalytic converter issue. So I am going to find out how bad it is later today. With that said, I am kind of short on cash now as not only might I have to pay to have my car fixed, as they are stating it isn't covered by warranty, but my tire axl or ball bearing on the right tire might need to be replaced and will cost a couple hundred if so. I apologize as I wasn't trying to stiff you and would pay you the listing fees in a few weeks if that was okay. I have great feedback and wasn't trying to stick anyone or anything.

sorry"

Don't do partial refunds. If there is something wrong then I want the whole thing back and I will pay for shipping. I would rather lose money than be taking for a fool. I had someone try basically the exact same thing that you describe in a similar situation. They asked for a partial refund. I said return it, I will pay for the shipping and refund you for the item in whole once I receive the item back.

They argued. I held to what I said.

They suddenly decided to keep it. Go figure.

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The wife excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I lost my job excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :banana:

It's not mid-afternoon yet...why am I up right now...?

You heard a pop in the distance.

Amen.
I mean that's always existed since day-1.

If a buyer chooses to 'go for it'...

(a) there's a chance the seller will find out later.

(b) there's a chance the seller is part of a community

and ©

He'll tell everyone and their dog.

Right? It's like Deal Making 101. Whining won't change it. Expecting someone who gets rooked to remain silent, some unwritten code of acceptance, is silly.

I'm still lost on how the seller in the example got taken or "rooked". The book was his property and in his possession. He got an offer for the book that said something along the lines of "my bird died and it was his fav. book to line his cage with. Would you consider an offer of X?" or whatever sob story. The seller agreed to the price. He didn't get "rooked". He apparently thought the price was a good one, and met his threshold for the type of profit he wanted to make. Thus, he accepted the offer, the money, and shipped the book.

Amen.

and ©

Right? It's like Deal Making 101. Whining won't change it. Expecting someone who gets rooked to remain silent, some unwritten code of acceptance, is silly.

I'm still lost on how the seller in the example got taken or "rooked". The book was his property and in his possession. He got an offer for the book that said something along the lines of "my bird died and it was his fav. book to line his cage with. Would you consider an offer of X?" or whatever sob story. The seller agreed to the price. He didn't get "rooked". He apparently thought the price was a good one, and met his threshold for the type of profit he wanted to make. Thus, he accepted the offer, the money, and shipped the book.

I would not have sold it to him at s discounted price. I rely on the honesty of the buyer when they say it is for their PERSONAL collection. If they are a known flipper I don't sell that heavily discounted. If the wife and money were the real issue he would have gladly sent the book back and received a full refund. That told me he used pretense to get the book for a lower price with the intent to flip it. Other dealings with board members shows this is an MO and not a one time deal. At least be a man and admit "hey, can you take off a few hundred so I can flip it and make a few bucks". That would sit better with most compared to the two C&B stories I received.

The wife excuse:

Agreed. While I feel bad this has happened to the two of you, I am glad we are here to expose such shenanigans. It's a sick thing to do, considering the amount of people WHO HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS and are struggling extremely hard right now. It hits close to home for me. Too close.

Amen.

and ©

I'm still lost on how this is confusing for you (shrug)

Amen.

and ©

My house was robbed last year, among the things stolen was an X-Men collection I started with buying off the stands in 1978. Some people here knew about it and knew I was looking to replace them. Some boardies were very generous in their dealings with me. What if I had turned around and flipped those issues for a profit immediately? You wouldn't see any issue with that? Just curious.

Amen.

and ©

The confusion may come from the fact that in the linked thread MMM just posted the :takeit: There's no indication in the thread that the purchase was for a discounted price following a PM discussion.

Amen.

and ©

The confusion may come from the fact that in the linked thread MMM just posted the :takeit: There's no indication in the thread that the purchase was for a discounted price following a PM discussion.

Not really. The confusion comes from a legal sale that the seller accepted an offer for and legal sold the book. Not matter the circumstances. It was a legal sale. In a follow-up post it appears that the seller is mad because he bought into a sob story and not mad at the price he sold the book for once he let it go. In essence, the seller is mad at himself for buying into the story. It is the spilled milk thing. Best explanation I can provide.

Amen.

and ©

Not really. The confusion comes from a legal sale that the seller accepted an offer for and legal sold the book. Not matter the circumstances. It was a legal sale. In a follow-up post it appears that the seller is mad because he bought into a sob story and not mad at the price he sold the book for once he let it go. In essence, the seller is mad at himself for buying into the story. It is the spilled milk thing. Best explanation I can provide.

And you would be wrong.

I'm not sure why people are struggling with this;

If you sell a book or intend to sell a book at a stated price, and someone approaches you with a back story about 'grails' and then out of the goodness of your heart you reduce the price, and then see said book advertised for a much bigger price in a short space of time...then yes you have definitely been 'rooked'.

Ok you let the book go for a price that was in the end acceptable to you, but you did reduce it due to the entreaties of a fellow collector. If your fellow collector then immediately tries to sell the book, then that should be for a very good reason, such as his house falling down or redundacy, illness or whatever.

If none of that is applicable and the fellow collector lied and then tried to flip the book, then any profit made should be split with the initial seller IMO.

But is that gonna happen? Not likely in this case. 2c

Note to self: Avoid that buyer in future

Amen.

and ©

So you don't really get the community aspect of it?

What if a sibling pulled the same stunt with you?

Yes, completely legal; but how would you view them in the future? Would you tell Mom?

So you don't really get the community aspect of it?

What if a sibling pulled the same stunt with you?

Yes, completely legal; but how would you view them in the future? Would you tell Mom?

No, I don't. I don't see "community" in my collection. If it was a community thing then many different people would own a part of it. The only people that own a part of it are my wife and I. If your comic book collection is a "community" thing then please send me a list of comics of all the comics you have so I can pull the comics I'd like out of it. I'm cashing out of your "community" collection.

I know what my brother considers a "grail". Thus, it wouldn't have happened.

Noting my age I haven't run and told my "mommy" anything for decades.

Amen.

and ©

And you would be wrong.

Glad you are always right in your world. LMAO.

I'm not sure why people are struggling with this;

If you sell a book or intend to sell a book at a stated price, and someone approaches you with a back story about 'grails' and then out of the goodness of your heart you reduce the price, and then see said book advertised for a much bigger price in a short space of time...then yes you have definitely been 'rooked'.

Ok you let the book go for a price that was in the end acceptable to you, but you did reduce it due to the entreaties of a fellow collector. If your fellow collector then immediately tries to sell the book, then that should be for a very good reason, such as his house falling down or redundacy, illness or whatever.

If none of that is applicable and the fellow collector lied and then tried to flip the book, then any profit made should be split with the initial seller IMO.

But is that gonna happen? Not likely in this case. 2c

Note to self: Avoid that buyer in future

Right. Live and learn.