• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

Lucky what about those people that come up to you and say please can you give me some money my car ran out of gas-is what they are doing ok? Getting money thru sympathy using a lie? If a book is worth $200 and seller knows he can get $200 and someone gives him a story-which is false-to get it for $150-then imediately sells it for $200-isn't that wrong?

It's obvious that he doesn't understand that there is a community here and people will do nice things for each other simply for that reason. You can explain it all you want, he's not going to get it. It's a shame really because that is one of the best parts of the boards, even more so than the drama threads that some crave.

So you don't really get the community aspect of it?

What if a sibling pulled the same stunt with you?

Yes, completely legal; but how would you view them in the future? Would you tell Mom?

No, I don't. I don't see "community" in my collection. If it was a community thing then many different people would own a part of it. The only people that own a part of it are my wife and I. If your comic book collection is a "community" thing then please send me a list of comics of all the comics you have so I can pull the comics I'd like out of it. I'm cashing out of your "community" collection.

I know what my brother considers a "grail". Thus, it wouldn't have happened.

Noting my age I haven't run and told my "mommy" anything for decades.

You see nothing wrong with: "please sell me this book for a significantly lower price. I know it's significantly lower, but this is my Grail. I'll be happy to own it for a long, long time. I know you're not getting the most out of selling, but you'd be doing something really nice for a collector chasing this book for awhile." [secretly, the buyer just wants it for a lower price to maximize his return in profit]

We have friends that are a young couple with two little children. They were recently trying to buy a home and entered into a competition with several potential buyers, some with higher offers. The wife wrote a very nice letter explaining how they loved the house and really could imagine their children growing up there and included a picture of their family. The sellers loved the story and accepted their offer even though it was less because it tugged at their heart strings and reminded them of what it was like when they first bought the home and had younger children.

I guess it would be alright in your book if the story was a complete lie and the buyer was actually a single guy with no children and just wanted to renovate and flip the house for a profit and stole the image of a young family from the Internet.

:facepalm:

By the way I hope you're added to people's personal lists. :wishluck: This IS a community despite many, many leaches showing up and finding a great place to score some sweet cool books and pimp their wares without fees.

Lucky is my buddy-I hope he changes his mind on this one.

It's obvious that he doesn't understand that there is a community here and people will do nice things for each other simply for that reason. You can explain it all you want, he's not going to get it. It's a shame really because that is one of the best parts of the boards, even more so than the drama threads that some crave.

You experience the boards the way you want to, and others experience it the way that they want to. I'm not looking to have this person or that person cut me a deal on a book. It would never enter into my mind to ask someone to take x amount off a book for this reason or that one. I wouldn't do it on eBay either. That is a foreign concept to me.

I come here to read post and gain information based upon this opinion or that opinion by this poster or that one.

Yes, completely legal; but how would you view them in the future? Would you tell Mom?

No, I don't. I don't see "community" in my collection. If it was a community thing then many different people would own a part of it. The only people that own a part of it are my wife and I. If your comic book collection is a "community" thing then please send me a list of comics of all the comics you have so I can pull the comics I'd like out of it. I'm cashing out of your "community" collection.

Good luck with your hobby. (thumbs u

Already put him on CBT ignore a few weeks ago, for this very reason. He has none

Then why do you keep insulting me in different threads? It is continuous. Yes, I believe the shallow people comment was aimed at me.

Good luck with your hobby. (thumbs u

Been my hobby for 40+ years.

I can understand that the original seller (OS) is miffed. However, the sale was legal. The sale was at a price the OS freely accepted. The OS doesn't have an issue until he see's that the buyer is selling it somewhere else. Until that point he looks at the sale as a "good" deal. The only change occurs because he feels he was lied to about the book. Is he mad at himself for buying into the story or mad because he didn't make the extra 2 bills? If it is the extra 2 bills then the "community" thing really doesn't exist for the seller. Yes, I can see it didn't exist for the buyer either.

I can't explain this in a way to get my point across any better. Thus, I will bow out of the thread as I do not wish to end up in a prolonged exchange that a MOD might view as something bad.

I can understand that the original seller (OS) is miffed. However, the sale was legal. The sale was at a price the OS freely accepted. The OS doesn't have an issue until he see's that the buyer is selling it somewhere else. Until that point he looks at the sale as a "good" deal. The only change occurs because he feels he was lied to about the book. Is he mad at himself for buying into the story or mad because he didn't make the extra 2 bills? If it is the extra 2 bills then the "community" thing really doesn't exist for the seller. Yes, I can see it didn't exist for the buyer either.

I can't explain this in a way to get my point across any better. Thus, I will bow out of the thread as I do not wish to end up in a prolonged exchange that a MOD might view as something bad.

What about the scene in breaking bad where they got the guy to sell his car wash by lying about toxic dumping. Legal? Can you use any lie to get someone to sell to you at their price?

Because the original buyer lied!! :frustrated:

Seriously, you can't have this tough of a time realizing that the original buyer's actions were wrong. :insane:

I think his problem is that he has no empathy. A certain cure for that is if it would have happened to him. He's seeing things from a B & W legal point of view, without recognizing that ethically & morally it's wrong.

What about the scene in breaking bad where they got the guy to sell his car wash by lying about toxic dumping. Legal? Can you use any lie to get someone to sell to you at their price?

I wouldn't hold Breaking Bad up as a moral code/compass to live by. Brilliant as it is, once you start using that as a benchmark, you're clutching at straws. :insane:

Because the original buyer lied!! :frustrated:

Seriously, you can't have this tough of a time realizing that the original buyer's actions were wrong. :insane:

I think his problem is that he has no empathy. A certain cure for that is if it would have happened to him. He's seeing things from a B & W legal point of view, without recognizing that ethically & morally it's wrong.

That would not be a correct statement on my views of the world.

I think you have explained your point well. I think the OP is mad at both himself and the buyer...the buyer for lying and himself for believing it. In the end I also agree that I sell my books for money and not good feelings, so although I would be upset I would have to assume some fault for my upset-ness. The OP cut the guy a deal in good faith and should still feel that he tried to do the right thing regardless of an outcome he did not expect - accept that your good nature sometimes gets taken advantage of and try to protect against it if it continues to bother you. I felt better about feeding the birds when I stopped freaking out that the squirrels are eating the bird feed and realized the squirrels are hungry too and it is the price of business.