• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The “wife” excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I “lost my job” excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

The Alberta one is totally plausible. Like 100%

Yeah, except, now we know better.

;)

-slym

The two most common excuses I receive for not following through with a purchase on eBay has to be the following...

The “wife” excuse:

Nevermind, I found them. They look nice, maybe 9.0s. Unfortunately my wife is freaking out about this because I went over my budget. I'm going to have to cancel the purchase. I've never done that before. What do I do?

This guy kept me hanging for over a month with some nonsense about a credit card before he pulled the I “lost my job” excuse:

Here. You been waiting along time for me to pay you, but yesterday I got laid off. Work here in Alberta slowed right down. Major economic times. I am just having the worst luck of my life. Have to move in with my parents to make ends meet. So please understand comics are not a priority for me right now. I feel really awful. But if I can get more work later, I have your store saved for future purchases. You been so good to me. So please cancel, and I shall accept. I am sure another great person will have it, just not me! I feel like .
3rd time here in Alberta for me in 35 years. I really wanted your book, but I got to eat. No way of paying visa, even if it comes. I am sure you will sell it soon. Thank you. I just don't have a way of paying you. Thank you for waiting. I was optimistic, but lesson learned in many ways with these banks, PayPal, etc.

These are actual messages I received this week. I suppose both could be true except that these, or a variation there of, seem to be the only excuses I ever receive. After a while, it wears thin. If I had a nickel as they say... Any thing original out there?

The Alberta one is totally plausible. Like 100%

Yeah, except, now we know better.

;)

-slym

Yeah, explanation in eBay list thread

we have personal lists for all of that :slapfight:

A true community values members who offer dissenting opinions respectfully and honestly. But that gets you on the personal lists too apparently!

Well, duh?

Anyone who doesn't see the issue in Joey's scenario is not someone I would want to deal with.

And anyone who does see the issue is not someone I would want to deal with. And anyone who has contributed in any way to this thread is someone I wouldn't want to deal with. And anyone who hasn't contributed to this thread is someone I wouldn't want to deal with.

Man, I hate dealing with people! :cry:

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

The above seems strange as you agreed to the price and sold it to him at that price and he paid you for it. Thus, it was his property. He was under no obligation to you to keep it, hold it, burn it, or whatever.

Read it again. The buyer used false pretense to negotiate a discount.

How do you know that? The book would not have been sold if the price agreed upon wasn't agreed to by the seller. Thus, he thought the price was acceptable. After the book is paid for and in the buyers hands whatever happens to the book is irrelevant to the original seller.

The seller is equally under no obligation to keep his mouth shut about any negotiating tactic used to lower the 'agreed upon' price. Right?

If the seller is part of a community he may even feel an obligation to inform everyone in his circle of influence, give them a heads-up, for a particular tactic-user.

If you're going to play the "all's fair" card, it includes any aftermath. If it's fair to use a tactic, it's fair to broadcast its use.

Boomsauce!

-slym

A true community values members who offer dissenting opinions respectfully and honestly. But that gets you on the personal lists too apparently!

Well, duh?

Anyone who doesn't see the issue in Joey's scenario is not someone I would want to deal with.

+1

right vs wrong

To the people who don't seem to have a problem with what the buyer did - would you do it?

Tread lightly there. I had a collectible figure set up for sale one Christmas. This mother kept emailing to lower the price and how her kids want them. I did tell her they really were not for playing, etc. Of course she hits the BIN and then later on states one of the figures was broken. Of course a partial refund to her original price "fixed" the problem. I did so because too much headaches and it was Christmas. Next time, I would just block them from bidding.

I have an auction ending today the current bid is $133.50, I received a note:

"Can you please do $80 right now? It's all I really have." Thought that was funny.

Got this one a month ago after he sniped an auction and went dark for 2 weeks. Only replied after I opened a NPB.

"Hey sorry for the late reply but I have been under the weather with the flu and now having some serious car troubles. I actually have an appointment at 8:30 am as my hyundai elantra with only 39,000 miles on it, came up with an error code for my engine. It came back after the diagnostic as a catalytic converter issue. So I am going to find out how bad it is later today. With that said, I am kind of short on cash now as not only might I have to pay to have my car fixed, as they are stating it isn't covered by warranty, but my tire axl or ball bearing on the right tire might need to be replaced and will cost a couple hundred if so. I apologize as I wasn't trying to stiff you and would pay you the listing fees in a few weeks if that was okay. I have great feedback and wasn't trying to stick anyone or anything.

sorry"

Don't do partial refunds. If there is something wrong then I want the whole thing back and I will pay for shipping. I would rather lose money than be taking for a fool. I had someone try basically the exact same thing that you describe in a similar situation. They asked for a partial refund. I said return it, I will pay for the shipping and refund you for the item in whole once I receive the item back.

They argued. I held to what I said.

They suddenly decided to keep it. Go figure.

Yup. Partial refunds are for suckers.

-slym

Well, duh?

+1

right vs wrong

To the people who don't seem to have a problem with what the buyer did - would you do it?

I have not seen anyone post who agrees with what the buyer did. I myself try not to let the presence of buttheads like this buyer negate good intention. Influence them, yes, but not negate.

By the way I hope you're added to people's personal lists. :wishluck: This IS a community despite many, many leaches showing up and finding a great place to score some sweet cool books and pimp their wares without fees.

I concur wholeheartedly!

-slym

It's obvious that he doesn't understand that there is a community here and people will do nice things for each other simply for that reason. You can explain it all you want, he's not going to get it. It's a shame really because that is one of the best parts of the boards, even more so than the drama threads that some crave.

You experience the boards the way you want to, and others experience it the way that they want to. I'm not looking to have this person or that person cut me a deal on a book. It would never enter into my mind to ask someone to take x amount off a book for this reason or that one. I wouldn't do it on eBay either. That is a foreign concept to me.

I come here to read post and gain information based upon this opinion or that opinion by this poster or that one.

Someone posts that their wife is dying from a rare form of cancer. A certain operation will give her a 90% chance of beating it, but they have no money. You and many others send him a check for $1,000 so she can have the lifesaving operation. He is not even married and heads for Vegas with everyone's money. I'm guessing you're fine with that.

Extra-hot boomsauce!

-slym

Well, duh?

And anyone who does see the issue is not someone I would want to deal with. And anyone who has contributed in any way to this thread is someone I wouldn't want to deal with. And anyone who hasn't contributed to this thread is someone I wouldn't want to deal with.

Man, I hate dealing with people! :cry:

To quote Randall from Clerks, "This job would be great if it weren't for the :censored: customers!"

-slym

Lucky is my buddy-I hope he changes his mind on this one.

I can understand that the original seller (OS) is miffed. However, the sale was legal. The sale was at a price the OS freely accepted. The OS doesn't have an issue until he see's that the buyer is selling it somewhere else. Until that point he looks at the sale as a "good" deal. The only change occurs because he feels he was lied to about the book. Is he mad at himself for buying into the story or mad because he didn't make the extra 2 bills? If it is the extra 2 bills then the "community" thing really doesn't exist for the seller. Yes, I can see it didn't exist for the buyer either.

I can't explain this in a way to get my point across any better. Thus, I will bow out of the thread as I do not wish to end up in a prolonged exchange that a MOD might view as something bad.

I think you have explained your point well. I think the OP is mad at both himself and the buyer...the buyer for lying and himself for believing it. In the end I also agree that I sell my books for money and not good feelings, so although I would be upset I would have to assume some fault for my upset-ness. The OP cut the guy a deal in good faith and should still feel that he tried to do the right thing regardless of an outcome he did not expect - accept that your good nature sometimes gets taken advantage of and try to protect against it if it continues to bother you. I felt better about feeding the birds when I stopped freaking out that the squirrels are eating the bird feed and realized the squirrels are hungry too and it is the price of business.

Yes, but the squirrels are not pretending to be birds. The "price of business" has a bigger cost than you realize. If people stop trusting each other because they are afraid to get scammed, manipulated or lied to, business would fall short or perhaps stop all together. These boards in particular are based on trust... which is what makes it a community. Take away that trust, you hurt the community.

Yes, I agree entirely. but when you trust you have to realize that the trust may be broken. You should understand that and behave accordingly. Trust as an adult and trust responsibly and understand that trusting people is a virtue and in many ways its' own reward. I never stated you should stop trusting but you should understand that trust comes with vulnerability.

Of course trust can be broken, and if you're constantly let down... you're gonna stop trusting. "Behave accordingly"...? What other outcome is there?

Back to step 1: Take away that trust, you hurt the community.

Perhaps it's the recipient of "trust" who should behave accordingly. Perhaps the responsibility should fall on them to maintain the "trust"? Why not help to eliminate the vulnerable aspect and help create a "safe" place to engage our hobby.

Well, duh?

+1

right vs wrong

I have not seen anyone post who agrees with what the buyer did. I myself try not to let the presence of buttheads like this buyer negate good intention. Influence them, yes, but not negate.

Is agreeing with it the same as not having a problem with it?

What? That you agree it happens, or agree it's a legitimate business tactic and there is no reason not to use it to get what you want?

Amen.
I mean that's always existed since day-1.

If a buyer chooses to 'go for it'...

(a) there's a chance the seller will find out later.

(b) there's a chance the seller is part of a community

and ©

He'll tell everyone and their dog.

Right? It's like Deal Making 101. Whining won't change it. Expecting someone who gets rooked to remain silent, some unwritten code of acceptance, is silly.

I'm still lost on how the seller in the example got taken or "rooked". The book was his property and in his possession. He got an offer for the book that said something along the lines of "my bird died and it was his fav. book to line his cage with. Would you consider an offer of X?" or whatever sob story. The seller agreed to the price. He didn't get "rooked". He apparently thought the price was a good one, and met his threshold for the type of profit he wanted to make. Thus, he accepted the offer, the money, and shipped the book.

I'm still lost on how this is confusing for you (shrug)

The confusion may come from the fact that in the linked thread MMM just posted the :takeit: There's no indication in the thread that the purchase was for a discounted price following a PM discussion.

Not really. The confusion comes from a legal sale that the seller accepted an offer for and legal sold the book. Not matter the circumstances. It was a legal sale. In a follow-up post it appears that the seller is mad because he bought into a sob story and not mad at the price he sold the book for once he let it go. In essence, the seller is mad at himself for buying into the story. It is the spilled milk thing. Best explanation I can provide.

And you would be wrong.

Glad you are always right in your world. LMAO.

No, not really. But this is the real world, and I will again disagree with your opinion.

But he put up :takeit: so didn't he pay your full asking price? Or did he post the :takeit: and then negotiate from there? hm

Has this been answered? This was my question earlier.

Now we're off arguing about community vs. legal obligation & making lists etc..etc.. :facepalm:

The only way the guy used false pretense to get a better price AND post a :takeit: is if he edited the :takeit: PER PM out of the thread after the fact, I don't believe Joey would do a post sale renegotiation especially after a few people commented that it sold cheap.

(shrug)