• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The two most common excuses for buyers remorse

234 posts in this topic

I had a board member use the wife excuse on the Avengers 57 I sold him. Gave me every "this is my Grail book, I am taking this to my grave" line to get it for a discounted price from me. A week later I see it up an HighGrade Comics site for considerably more. When I asked him why he was selling his "Grail" book he used the wife excuse. When I said no problem, send me back the book and I will refund payment and shipping he all of a sudden could not arrange for that to happen. I hope some board detectives can pull up that sales thread to see who it was.

The above seems strange as you agreed to the price and sold it to him at that price and he paid you for it. Thus, it was his property. He was under no obligation to you to keep it, hold it, burn it, or whatever.

Read it again. The buyer used false pretense to negotiate a discount.

How do you know that? The book would not have been sold if the price agreed upon wasn't agreed to by the seller. Thus, he thought the price was acceptable. After the book is paid for and in the buyers hands whatever happens to the book is irrelevant to the original seller.

If one makes up a story to get a discount with the intent to flip 3 days later, that's kind of fraudy JoeyP might have an economic interest in selling at a discount to someone who does not plan on flipping...maybe joeyP has other high grade copies he wants to sell in the short-term? this copy would not dilute their value.

kind of like the homeless lady who wanders around my subway route claiming she is pregnant and needs food for her unborn baby and saying she is going to use the money to buy [chinese food]. once she gets some money she jumps out at the stop and immediately goes into the liquor store, where I am certain she is not buying chinese food.

it is amazing how she has been pregnant for 5 years and looks about 60, but people keep on falling for it.

Ok so we know buyers use all kinds of reasons/excuses to get a better deal, but how about sellers? Do they embellish a little? Do they tell us things that we really dont need to know, like why they need to sell and what they intend to do with the funds. Do they pull at heart strings or look for that sympathy sale? Sure everyone has a reason to sell, buy food, buy more comics, whatever. Sellers often tell you what they dont need to just so you may consider the good cause you are helping. I need to make a payment on my Porsche no sales thread ever said. hm

Ok so we know buyers use all kinds of reasons/excuses to get a better deal, but how about sellers? Do they embellish a little? Do they tell us things that we really dont need to know, like why they need to sell and what they intend to do with the funds. Do they pull at heart strings or look for that sympathy sale? Sure everyone has a reason to sell, buy food, buy more comics, whatever. Sellers often tell you what they dont need to just so you may consider the good cause you are helping. I need to make a payment on my Porsche no sales thread ever said. hm

I admit I embellish my listings to help sell my books. Depending on what I'm selling, I may point out...

• Movie coming soon

• Nice cover wrap

• White pages

• High grade

• 1 of only 50 known copies... etc.

I try to time my sales with other stuff that is happening, like an upcoming movie or whatever is trending. But, I never offer personal info, even if it's true... 'cause, quite frankly... who cares if I've got car troubles or if I've got student loans to pay off... which I do.

I also use a lot of exclamation marks, such as this! And this! Often, I may use two or three in a row!!! I do sometimes offer an opinion but I never lie about the books... I just don't see the point.

My house is always falling apart. It's 110 years old and from 1977 - 2007 the hippy owners went out of their way to run it into the ground. So when I post a thread because some pipe exploded or my roof is leaking, it's all true, unfortunately!

Car troubles....and it's not even close.

I have gotten the "my car broke down, I got into a wreck, I have some repairs that I didn't anticipate" at least half a dozen times.