• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling Moderns...Craigslist or a Local Con..or

6 posts in this topic

So I have a fair number of moderns and a smaller mix of silver, bronze and copper age that I'll like to divest myself of and I am wondering if it is easier to sell them through, perhaps craigslist or try and move them at a local con and I have never done either, sold through craigslist or at any con.

So then I wondered, find a donation recipient for the moderns, if one exists and if you can find one, can you do a tax write off?

Any thoughts\opinions would be appreciated and if done right (realistically getting the best market value for the books) I believe there can be a significant amount of labor involved in this endeavor, correct?

Oh, just in case, I am not fishing here, just asking a pragmatic question of those who have experience. And my overall interest is so that I can fully focus on my childhood favorite, Daredevil.......and so my daughters won't have a boat load of books to be responsible for some day.

IDK about in Maryland, but in NC, Craigslist has been terrible for me trying to sell comics. Other listings I see are way overpriced, so I make sure mine are not, and still get almost nothing. I sold a run of about 40 books for $30 last year, all bagged&boarded, all in NM+ condition. Of course the guy wanted to haggle, but I didn't budge. He ended up paying my asking price because he knew it was a bargain. I can't blame him for asking, though.

-slym

I've done well at all of them with unwanted books; at a local con, at selling locally on Craigslist, and at nearby flea market. Just understand that there are different crowds at each. The other dealers at a con will strip you to the bone before the show ever starts if you don't know your books/pricing, everyone at a local flea market is going to want to pay .50 or $1 per book, and Craigslist tends to bring out the true loonies. So pick your poison, but all can be fun and profitable if done correctly.

You can donate for tax purposes, just make sure that you actually itemize your taxes before doing so. The deduction won't do you any good otherwise.

IDK about in Maryland, but in NC, Craigslist has been terrible for me trying to sell comics. Other listings I see are way overpriced, so I make sure mine are not, and still get almost nothing. I sold a run of about 40 books for $30 last year, all bagged&boarded, all in NM+ condition. Of course the guy wanted to haggle, but I didn't budge. He ended up paying my asking price because he knew it was a bargain. I can't blame him for asking, though.

-slym

I haven't had any luck buying books on CL in NC, either. It seems like every posted ad is somebody wanting to buy instead of actually selling.

Not sure where you are in MD, but there are many local shows in Maryland and Northern Virginia. Tables are generally cheap. I set up at two shows last year at $60 a table. Had a bunch of dollar books and some keys. Did well. I usually try to sell bulk on craigslist. I have no patience trying to sell individual books on CL. Too much nonsense to deal with.