• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now why did you have to go and get it signed???

57 posts in this topic

I don't need to see a giant sharpie sig on the front cover. I just like knowing that the book I own was carefully opened in front of the artist, and signed neatly on the splash page. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

Not signed in person by Miller but Klaus Janson signed it last year at HeroesCon.

Judy and I got tickets for Stan's autograph at the Baltimore 2011 Con..... and we were so awestricken that we could only watch in horror as he signed our Hulk 6 smack dab in the middle of the cover...... I quickly requested that the next two be signed on the splash...... ASM 6 and FF 11........ I totally love autographs on the splash...... cover not as much.... but I do have a few sig series books that caught my eye with good placement. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Me too

I sure hope he did the splashes in ball point pen NOT sharpie...

I'll certainly be in the minority here, but I'll take an unsigned copy over a signed copy in a heartbeat. When I see a signature on a book I was initially excited about, I feel completely disappointed. I think, "thanks, buddy, for writing on my comic. Anything else? Maybe you'd like to spit on it or perhaps draw a picture of a dog urinating on a tree or some other graffiti?" And this is not mentioning the always present question of forged signatures.

I can see a signature adding some value if you personally stood in line and got it signed and it's a memento of when you met ______, but that would just be personal to me. I do not understand how that would add value to others.

But it takes all sorts.

I agree and I can see the day where ss comic book could be worth less than the same book in the same grade without the signature

I'll agree with that, as purists like their comic books as close to hot off the presses as possible, without any aftermarket alterations such as date stamps, penciled pricing or autograph signatures, all seen as flaws and defects.

So, for high grade books I think it's potentially a slippery slope to collect CGC 9.8 Signature Series, but when it comes to books under a CGC 7.0, then I think an autograph might elevate the pricing of lower graded book since they're already a bit flawed, and now the signature can create a bump or boost to the value.

I like the idea of the splash page signed (not in sharpie though). Obviously a buyer would probably want to see the signature though. How about the back cover (shrug) Has anyone had the back cover of their comic signed?

I have not seen a comic signed on the back but this is a good idea. Not sure why this hasn't been done yet?? (I'm sure someone out there has, but not often)

I'll certainly be in the minority here, but I'll take an unsigned copy over a signed copy in a heartbeat. When I see a signature on a book I was initially excited about, I feel completely disappointed. I think, "thanks, buddy, for writing on my comic. Anything else? Maybe you'd like to spit on it or perhaps draw a picture of a dog urinating on a tree or some other graffiti?" And this is not mentioning the always present question of forged signatures.

I can see a signature adding some value if you personally stood in line and got it signed and it's a memento of when you met ______, but that would just be personal to me. I do not understand how that would add value to others.

But it takes all sorts.

I'm right there with you. I get that a lot of people like to get things signed, and there is a lot of value in that endeavor. I'd love a piece of history signed by George Washington or another famous historical figure.

But a comic book? I want a pristine copy and having someone who was involved with its creation deface it after standing in line (and sometimes paying for the pleasure of it) is just silly to me. I'd rather have a short conversation with that person about the book I like or their work.

Anyone else having issues finding comics that you want but when you do find it, it turns out it has been signed so therefore the seller has a premium price on it?

Most of the time, I just want the book...I don't care if it is signed or not. But someone goes and ruins it by having someone sign it and now the book and grade I want are outside of my price range.

This happens especially with low grade comics...like the sellers are just trying to milk every single cent they can out of a reader copy.

I was considering a Daredevil #1 a board member had up for sale not too long ago, until I saw the signature. It was Stan Lee's right there on the cover. It was "good sig placement" if there is such a thing. I was not opposed to the price. I could not, however, get over a big black signature on the cover of an otherwise nice book.

There are probably MANY more collectors out there who would want and love to own this book and the signature MORE than a book without a signature; I am not one of them. I did not buy the book simply because I did not like "writing" on the cover of the book.

Thankfully, everyone's tastes are different and each person is entitled to do what they want with their books (have them signed or not) and collect what they want. That is just one more thing that makes this hobby great.

I like the idea of the splash page signed (not in sharpie though). Obviously a buyer would probably want to see the signature though. How about the back cover (shrug) Has anyone had the back cover of their comic signed?

I have not seen a comic signed on the back but this is a good idea. Not sure why this hasn't been done yet?? (I'm sure someone out there has, but not often)

sorry for the potato but here's the back of my GL book signed

bHVblmU.jpg

mostly cause it was white and had lots of black space, oh and I only wanted the Gil Kane signature on the front

Ytc6fAs.jpg

So once again...I find a comic that I want in the grade that I want...and it is a hard to find comic graded...and some spoon-hole had to go and get it signed!!!

Just so they could make a little more money selling a rare comic to someone who actually cares about some scribbled name in sharpie marker!

rantrant