• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If the Devil Would Talk - 1950 B&W - Value?
2 2

19 posts in this topic

I have been thinking of posting a WTB thread for a 1950 B&W copy of "If the Devil Would Talk", but I don't want to waste anyone's time if this book is too costly.

Usually when I post a WTB thread, I include what I am looking to pay. That way people can PM me if they have something within that range and not waste anyone's time (as I believe time is valuable).

The problem with this book is I have no clue what I should be offering or looking to pay. I don't have GPA and even if I did, I am not sure there is any data on this book. I have not seen any sell on Heritage. I could look at the OSPG, but I don't think that would be the best indicator.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in dealing with this book and can let me know what I should be offering (expecting to pay)?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

I've had a copy for several years that used to belong to a fellow boardie. There's not a ton of demand for something like this but its super scarcity coupled with its coolness factor is certainly something.

GPA is meaningless since it only tracks graded sales and CGC in the past has not graded the B&W Guild copies because of possible counterfeiting (same for Blood is the Harvest and Red Iceburg).

As far as retail price? I think it would be tough to get a copy for less than a grand in this nutty market. Just make sure when/if you do find a copy you inquire into its provenance to help ensure its authenticity.

I've had a copy for several years that used to belong to a fellow boardie. There's not a ton of demand for something like this but its super scarcity coupled with its coolness factor is certainly something.

GPA is meaningless since it only tracks graded sales and CGC in the past has not graded the B&W Guild copies because of possible counterfeiting (same for Blood is the Harvest and Red Iceburg).

As far as retail price? I think it would be tough to get a copy for less than a grand in this nutty market. Just make sure when/if you do find a copy you inquire into its provenance to help ensure its authenticity.

Tsp99,

Thanks for all the info. I did not know about the possible counterfeiting problem or that CGC would not grade them. I am surprised CGC does not have any way to determine authenticity.

Thank you also on your thoughts on price. I know that price is determined by the point at which supply meats demand. I agree with you that demand is somewhat low for this item. The problem I see is that supply is also low. Thus driving up the price.

Do you know if there is a wide range of grades on this or are the existing copies all pretty much the same (thus making grade unimportant in terms of pricing)?

Thanks again.

The Heritage archives are your friend -- shows more than two dozen completed auction prices in various grades.

The majority of those appear to be the 1958 reprint, but there are a few copies of the 1950 version in there as well.

The most recent sale of the 1950 version recorded on GPA is a 5.5 that sold for $505 in July 2015. A 9.6 sold for $2,271 in February 2013.

Edited to add: I'm assuming that the GPA data for the 1950 version are for the regular version, not the black and white one. According to Overstreet, only four copies of the black and white version exist.

Edited again to add: OP is interested in the b&w version, so most of what I just posted is irrelevant!

Edited by Sqeggs

The Heritage archives are your friend -- shows more than two dozen completed auction prices in various grades.

He's talking about the B&W version.

What he said

Edited by eccomic

Looks like a copy will be coming to market on Comicconnect (thumbs u

Link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=657994

if%201.10a_zpsjsynglzr.jpg

In 1980 I bought an OSPG. I read it and read it. I remember reading one section called "The 1979 Market Report" (starting on page A-16). In the report the author spoke of the market for "giveaway" comics and talked about a priest who had showed up at the Philadelphia Comic Convention with a brief case containing 6 copies of "Blood is the Harvest" and 7 copies of "If the Devil Would Talk". I immediately wanted a copy of that latter book.

Years later I did buy a copy of this book, however, I also learned that there was a B&W version with very few known to exist. The collector in me wanted to one day own one of those B&Ws.

I want to officially thank Stephen (eccomic) for posting (in this thread) the link to the copy that sold tonight on Comic Connect. If not for him, it is doubtful I would have ever noticed this treasure up for sale.

Stephen did not have to take the time to post that link for me. He could have just moved on and not worried about a fellow board member. Thankfully, Stephen is a stand up guy who looks out for others.

I am constantly amazed at the people on this board who take time to answer questions, help others find comics, cheer other members on as they search and bid on a grail, and generally look out for the welfare of other board members. This board is a great place to be. I am thankful and blessed to be a part of it.

I hope that I can contribute as much back to the board and its' members as I have received from them.

Thanks again to Stephen.

Link:

In 1980 I bought an OSPG. I read it and read it. I remember reading one section called "The 1979 Market Report" (starting on page A-16). In the report the author spoke of the market for "giveaway" comics and talked about a priest who had showed up at the Philadelphia Comic Convention with a brief case containing 6 copies of "Blood is the Harvest" and 7 copies of "If the Devil Would Talk". I immediately wanted a copy of that latter book.

Years later I did buy a copy of this book, however, I also learned that there was a B&W version with very few known to exist. The collector in me wanted to one day own one of those B&Ws.

I want to officially thank Stephen (eccomic) for posting (in this thread) the link to the copy that sold tonight on Comic Connect. If not for him, it is doubtful I would have ever noticed this treasure up for sale.

Stephen did not have to take the time to post that link for me. He could have just moved on and not worried about a fellow board member. Thankfully, Stephen is a stand up guy who looks out for others.

I am constantly amazed at the people on this board who take time to answer questions, help others find comics, cheer other members on as they search and bid on a grail, and generally look out for the welfare of other board members. This board is a great place to be. I am thankful and blessed to be a part of it.

I hope that I can contribute as much back to the board and its' members as I have received from them.

Thanks again to Stephen.

Great book. Congratulations on landing a copy.

Link:

Thanks again to Stephen.

I am just glad I could help. Thank you for your kind words :)

I can tell you right now that is the REPRINT from the 1979 Sparkle City Rare Book portfolio. Notice the fading in the title of your copy in the title words "IF THE and TALK.....This would not be the case with the original. 

I will bet the farm the dimensions are greater than 7" X 5"

I know because I own the original black and white ashcan. Pictures of my copy below for reference. My copy has also been certified.

Devil0002.jpg

Devil0003.jpg

Edited by eccomic

1 hour ago, eccomic said:

I can tell you right now that is the REPRINT from the 1979 Sparkle City Rare Book portfolio. Notice the fading in the title of your copy in the title words "IF THE and TALK.....This would not be the case with the original. 

I will bet the farm the dimensions are greater than 7" X 5"

I know because I own the original black and white ashcan. Pictures of my copy below for reference. My copy has also been certified.

Devil0002.jpg

Devil0003.jpg

Stephen,

Thanks for posting a response to help out that new Board Member with his question.  I believe you are correct about it being a reprint.  Perhaps @Rodcomics could measure his copy and provide dimensions.

Thanks also for posting a photo of yours (which is a LOT nicer than mine).  It is exciting just to see such a beautiful copy. Congrats.

I think at least 3 of the 4 known copies belong to board members.  Guess that makes it a pretty small club.  lol 

Yes! Mine is 10 1/4 x 7 1/4 - slightly larger than a comic I laid on top of it. Where would I find more information about the 1979 sparkle book portfolio copies ? Does it have any value? Thanks you so much for your help! I am been going nuts trying to find info on it!

On 8/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

I am just reading this post now (almost a year too late), however, I wanted to thank you for posting.  Had I seen this post, I would definately have been interested in picking up the copy.  OSPG says there are only 4 copies.  3 belong to board members.  I would have been happy to make it all 4 belonging to board members.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

I am just reading this post now (almost a year too late), however, I wanted to thank you for posting.  Had I seen this post, I would definately have been interested in picking up the copy.  OSPG says there are only 4 copies.  3 belong to board members.  I would have been happy to make it all 4 belonging to board members.  Thanks again.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing the right collector get the book they want.  And I'm not even a dealer.

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Nothing makes me happier than seeing the right collector get the book they want.  And I'm not even a dealer.

That is what makes this place great.  People like you (collectors) who take the time and effort to help other collectors achieve their dreams.  Not for a profit, but simply for love of the hobby and a genuine desire to put others before themselves.

I am not a dealer either (nor a flipper or even a seller - simply a collector).  I am thankful for the dealers who seek out books and make them available to those of us who collect, however, I am even more thankful for people like you.