• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,323 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2017 at 7:50 AM, scumdolly said:

Since MOTU AFA is in the air, here is my contribution. The BA Skeletor took (what seemed like) forever to find on a decent card with the NEW!

13734530_1155876714477255_334035050_n.jp

Incredible! I remember like yesterday going out to eat pizza with my parents. It was a hot summer evening. After we hit an Edwards department store. I sprinted to the toy department and low/behold they had one battle armor he-man left. I snagged it. Funny thing, I was a little "older" during this phase and was actually not opening most of my toys immediately. Even at the age of 11 or 12, the OCD was strong in me and I managed to leave him sealed on card for nearly two full weeks! Everyday after school I would rush home and run my pretend toy store. Well eventually I caved and opened him. Man those were the days. Thanks for posting......

10 hours ago, comicwiz said:

It's the first 12 display stand, and they messed up the appraisal so bad lol

Cool item, but nowhere on the rarity level of the Sears exclusive ESB 7-pack. I actually remembered seeing this episode after it aired.

Here's mine with the original mailer box, unapplied decal sheet - the backing was never even put in the stand, so it's flat and near mint.

mailer2.jpg

mailer3.jpg

This thread delivers on so many levels. Thank you. I was lucky to have this set as a 5 year old. Seems like yesterday. I actually fell asleep at the end of Episode IV.  My dad woke me up as Han Solo made his surprise appearance. Remember waiting in the most insane line for ROJ.  You know I think what is the driving force for these collectibles is that its so tangible. It really takes you back. I feel so lucky having experience the 70s as a little kid and teen years in the 80s. These were truly some amazing times. 

On November 23, 2017 at 12:48 AM, followtheleader said:

MOC He-man was the beginning of my toy collecting.  

That being the case, they've been in storage for a long time!  I need to look at the "New" versus standard in my collection. 

I remember picking up the spanish He-man and Skeletors for $15 (MOC).  Wish I would have purchased a lot more.  

For years, I've been trying to figure out which version, if either, is more valuable for Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops with/without the ring.   Seems like I've seen a lot with the ring (hypothetically making the non-ring versions rarer), but then people really want the ring.  If anyone knows, I'd love to hear. 

Patrick

Incidentally, I only ever had one MOTU figure as a kid. Star Wars was my main thing from the start until I saw a Grunt on the pegs in 1982 and then I was into GI Joe with both feet. My dad wouldn't let me get into any more toy lines with both SW and Joe going simultaneously, but I still managed to get a few here and there. My neighbor, a few years younger, had mostly MOTU so I was able to get a taste of that line by playing with his stuff. Trap Jaw was just too cool, though. I managed to get that one figure from MOTU. He had the ring, too, and I vividly remember it. I still see carded TJ's with the ring and it takes me back immediately. So, to somewhat answer your question, typically those bonus offers, whether rarer or not, are a distinctive characteristic and can be desirable just because it sets it apart from the basic card and maybe triggers that nostalgia factor. Some people like offers, some don't. With carded SW, many prefer the cleaner, offerless cardbacks, but on Transformers it seems like the mini-spy, glow poster and patch bonuses carry a premium. With Joes, I found that some of the characters on Triple Win cards were pretty dang hard to find, although I typically gravitated toward the offerless cards otherwise.

Funny thing as I think back, most of those random figures from other toy lines I was able to incorporate into my Joe and SW scenarios since the scale was usually compatible (3 3/4"), but I for the life of me can't remember if I worked Trap Jaw in as some kind of special Cobra secret weapon (that's what I did with my Universal Monsters Mummy) or if he just kind of stayed in a box. (shrug) 

42 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Incidentally, I only ever had one MOTU figure as a kid. Star Wars was my main thing from the start until I saw a Grunt on the pegs in 1982 and then I was into GI Joe with both feet. My dad wouldn't let me get into any more toy lines with both SW and Joe going simultaneously, but I still managed to get a few here and there. My neighbor, a few years younger, had mostly MOTU so I was able to get a taste of that line by playing with his stuff. Trap Jaw was just too cool, though. I managed to get that one figure from MOTU. He had the ring, too, and I vividly remember it. I still see carded TJ's with the ring and it takes me back immediately. So, to somewhat answer your question, typically those bonus offers, whether rarer or not, are a distinctive characteristic and can be desirable just because it sets it apart from the basic card and maybe triggers that nostalgia factor. Some people like offers, some don't. With carded SW, many prefer the cleaner, offerless cardbacks, but on Transformers it seems like the mini-spy, glow poster and patch bonuses carry a premium. With Joes, I found that some of the characters on Triple Win cards were pretty dang hard to find, although I typically gravitated toward the offerless cards otherwise.

Funny thing as I think back, most of those random figures from other toy lines I was able to incorporate into my Joe and SW scenarios since the scale was usually compatible (3 3/4"), but I for the life of me can't remember if I worked Trap Jaw in as some kind of special Cobra secret weapon (that's what I did with my Universal Monsters Mummy) or if he just kind of stayed in a box. (shrug) 

I totally know what you're talking about. I got He-Man and Trap Jaw the first Xmas after MOTU hit, and i vividly recall opening up the package and seeing that glow ring and just loving the figures. I got several more down the line, but those first two and that Xmas morning are still a very special thing to me.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:43 PM, NamesJay said:

Can't believe I have just now seen this thread!

I picked this one up a little while ago -- a grail for me in terms of action figures. It was hands down my favorite action figure/toy growing up.

tj4.jpg

tj3.jpg

tj2.jpg

tj.jpg

Still the prize of my collection :-) -- really want to get a matching Tri Klops as these were my two favorites growing up.

6 hours ago, NamesJay said:

Still the prize of my collection :-) -- really want to get a matching Tri Klops as these were my two favorites growing up.

I  have a few carded Tri-Klops.  Both with the ring and without. 

I have a pretty marginal carded Trap Jaw.  It has the ring. 

Reading these stories and with my long searches, it seems like the non-ring version is rarer (but not more desirable as people want the ring). 

Cool stories from people.  

Patrick

It doesn't seem legit, but I need to research more. 

Frenzy is blue, but the packaged is red.  Says Frenzy on the front, but Rumble on the back. 

It was typically issued with blue Frenzy. 

Also, the screws on "Frenzy" are very shiny.  They are typically blackish. 

Patrick

7 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

It doesn't seem legit, but I need to research more. 

Frenzy is blue, but the packaged is red.  Says Frenzy on the front, but Rumble on the back. 

It was typically issued with blue Frenzy. 

Also, the screws on "Frenzy" are very shiny.  They are typically blackish. 

Patrick

Pretty sure its a Zhong Jin KO but want a better qualified opinion.