• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

It's weird the stuff that other kids had that I don't remember at all. I was laser-focused on SW, I guess. Don't remember Mego, Shogun Warriors, Stretch Armstrong, the 12-inch scale GI Joe, etc. All stuff that was still in the stores during my early years, but I missed it entirely. I had a few toys pre-SW like Evel Knievel and that Jaws set posted earlier that I vividly remember, but SW hit right when I was about 4, and I was pretty much all-in on those to the exclusion of everything else, apparently. Then there was the occasional oddball thing that I would find on the playground like some of the crazy later Micronauts figures. Those were awesome.

Here's a favorite bauble that I've had for a few years which you guys might enjoy, a Kenner Q*Bert first shot:

Quibitt.thumb.jpg.2c16a69e79fdf2a6981a3c69ef877ba3.jpg

27 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

That's the thing. 8 feet. When this is released, I can see for the first time divorce rates in SW collecting overtaking couples breaking up from IKEA.

Approximate Product Specifications

Total length: 49.35"
Total width: 14.64"

Total height (to top of sales): 17.01"
Total weight: 13.89 lbs

4 Feet... You had me scared... because I think "if" I get it that I would put this on top of the shelves in the guest bedroom lol 

I really want the Lego Falcon though... It has to be one or the other... I cannot justify both.  However right now in my mind I have pulled the modern SW figures of Jabba's denizens in case I wanted to display modern figures.  However, I had the idea of IF I get it to display the appropriate vintage figures.  I hope it has room for the band. 

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

4 Feet... You had me scared... because I think "if" I get it that I would put this on top of the shelves in the guest bedroom lol 

I really want the Lego Falcon though... It has to be one or the other... I cannot justify both.  However right now in my mind I have pulled the modern SW figures of Jabba's denizens in case I wanted to display modern figures.  However, I had the idea of IF I get it to display the appropriate vintage figures.  I hope it has room for the band. 

Or, hey honey I never really liked this couch. I have an idea, hear me out...

*cue best theme song for husband trying to get comfortable in the dog house

On 15/02/2018 at 3:50 PM, comicwiz said:

My general feeling on this is there is a huge sample size of carded figures which are still worth pursuing, buying and collecting. You just need to be aware of the way these items have held up due to age, mishandling and/or tampering. It's hard to cover all your bases, but at the very least, you should always carefully scrutinize pieces, especially with the value gains some have experienced.

You are quite right, in fact on a few forums I suggested (yikes) cutting two small doors into the backs of battery operated toys from decades ago so that the batteries could be taken out before they leaked and destroyed the toy. I had a good response with some claiming I saved their collectables as they never thought of the leak and caught it in time. Yes I know that this would affect the grades but then again imagine what damage the battery caused, my hint for today. Also one thing to consider is that not all toys had batteries included, so that's roughly from the mid Eighties on wards.    

Edited by tv horror
spelling

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Not sure I understand the Haslab thing.  You pay $500 and that guarantees you a sail barge?  Or only if their goal of 5000 orders is met?  Does this also mean a general release will never happen? 

Fricking cool that they finally developed the barge, $500 is rather steep though.

3 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Not sure I understand the Haslab thing.  You pay $500 and that guarantees you a sail barge?  Or only if their goal of 5000 orders is met?  Does this also mean a general release will never happen? 

Fricking cool that they finally developed the barge, $500 is rather steep though.

$500 gets you the barge.  There will never be a general release of this though.  It is sort of like what Matty Collectables did.  For years when the Star Wars team did the Q&A members of multiple forums suggested this and they said it was not an option that they were exploring at this time.  However it seems that Hasbro is jumping on the bandwagon as other toy companies are doing the same.  This really is a great way for them to release product though as an in-demand model allows larger scale items to reach the collectors that want them without running the risk of trying to establish a shelf footprint with Toys R Us or Walmart.  

Especially as Toys R Us slowly goes under it leaves little room for Hasbro to negotiate with Walmart as to whether or not they can create such an item at a price point that Walmart wants.  This is truly a collector's piece for the collector.

The price point bothers me though.

I remember paying $150 for the BMF Falcon

I remember paying $100 for the BMF AT AT (THAT piece was a steal at $100)

We will see.... we will see

As of 2018-02-18 and at 2:40 EST... 869 / 5000 commitments to buy. 

3 hours ago, tv horror said:

You are quite right, in fact on a few forums I suggested (yikes) cutting two small doors into the backs of battery operated toys from decades ago so that the batteries could be taken out before they leaked and destroyed the toy. I had a good response with some claiming I saved their collectables as they never thought of the leak and caught it in time. Yes I know that this would affect the grades but then again imagine what damage the battery caused, my hint for today. Also one thing to consider is that not all toys had batteries included, so that's roughly from the mid Eighties on wards.    

This is pretty much the same "conservation" mindset that is happening with the Stretch toy lines. Some of them command astronomical values, particulary the Stretch Serpent or some of the rarer characters from the Elastico line. If they haven't already leaked, they will all eventually suffer the fate of looking like a deflated balloon, so many collectors are draining the corn syrup and stuffing them with cotton.  It's the one solid test case in toys where the future preservation of a piece is trumping the need to have a "gradable" toy, or even the value considerations associated to restoration. Unfortunately you can't overcome the value hit a restored/conserved piece will get, but the alternative is they are left to attrition, and I think the consensus is draining them (keeping the syrup in a jar) and stuffing them with cotton will allow these great toys to be display and enjoyed for many years to come.

31 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Eventually yes, especially with batteries included and sealed within a bubble covered card. I never knew about the corn syrup I originally thought it was toxic goo.xD 

The one thing which I find particularly interesting is Hakes has a disclaimer on any vintage toy they sell, where they cannot guarantee the electronics work. Part of the disclaimer divests them of any responsibility if the item is not working, and that you should assume any vintage toy purchased through them is being purchased for it's collectibility, and not that the electronics will be in working order. There was a really interesting thread (for anyone on Facebook, here's the link to the thread) in one of the biggest vintage toy/action figure groups on Facebook where a seller claimed they sold a sealed vintage toy, and the buyer allegedly opened the package, and claimed the electronics didn't work, and requested a refund. I have always been sensible with any vintage toys I sell - I test the electronics, and if they don't work, I say as much. I also very rarely buy anything unless the electronics work, and I can test them myself, however I have owned several pieces where the electronics were temperamental, and stopped working during the time I owned them. That said, hearing someone opening a sealed toy to test the electronics was a real eye-opener, and if I sell anything sealed from this day on, I'm probably going to go the route Hakes does with disclosing the toy is being sold "as is", that it's selling for a premium in it's factory sealed state, and that if any buyer is purchasing the item wanting to own a "working" example, they should be an open package example as I am unable to test the toy in a sealed state. My worry of course is that someone pulls a switch on the sealed example with one they already owned that wasn't working - how are you going to prove the one they send back was the one in the original box? A real connundrum, but sometimes you have to anitipate the many ways people try take you for a ride, and I'm definitely going to be more careful if I'm selling any sealed toys with electronic components.

Edited by comicwiz

There's a guy on Youtube who restores vintage toys who you might find interesting. That's one of my fears also about swapping an item for a broken one or even a comic, I'm shivering thinking about it, let me know what you think of the link if you get a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/user/toypolloi

13 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

My worry of course is that someone pulls a switch on the sealed example with one they already owned that wasn't working

22 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

@whisp @comicwiz @Martin Sinescu

Lego USC Falcon... or Hasbro Lab's first release of Jabba's Sail Barge.... 

Oh noz

https://www.hasbrolab.com/

You have until April 3rd to place your order... as of this post they have 382/5000 of the needed commitments for it to enter production. 

update at 8:25 

• 408 / 5000
  • Where is the 4-7" of snow that I am supposed to get tonight? 

Regretted selling a couple skiffs a few years back. I don't mind the retail as much as the run, if it was 1K total that would have a quicker sign off. 

Phillip

Old card 125.JPG

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

There's a guy on Youtube who restores vintage toys who you might find interesting. That's one of my fears also about swapping an item for a broken one or even a comic, I'm shivering thinking about it, let me know what you think of the link if you get a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/user/toypolloi

I've seen his videos before. I'm not ant-restoration provided the work is disclosed. The thing I'm most concerned about is people whitening vintage toys. This is a temporary fix, and any whitening should be disclosed when an item is being resold. The yellowing will return with a vengence and I'm not fond of people using these reconditioning techniques to make a quick buck and not disclosing the peroxide baths and other chemical whitening recipes were used on a vintage toy.

3 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I've seen his videos before. I'm not ant-restoration provided the work is disclosed. The thing I'm most concerned about is people whitening vintage toys. This is a temporary fix, and any whitening should be disclosed when an item is being resold. The yellowing will return with a vengence and I'm not fond of people using these reconditioning techniques to make a quick buck and not disclosing the peroxide baths and other chemical whitening recipes were used on a vintage toy.

Good point it was more for re-stringing that I found it interesting but thanks for taking the time to look.