• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

Not exactly Plastic Crack but I thought I would share. 

I stayed home from work today.  I was not feeling well over the weekend and after being diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection, I decided to take my first day off from work since October of 2016.  Whenever I was sick as a kid my mom would get me a matchbox car.     We did not have much and Matchbox cars were cheaper than other things and besides... I loved them.  

While home and doing some work I came across the news that Toys R Us is most likely going to shutter all stores in the next week or so. 

I dragged myself out and made what may very well be my final purchase at Toys R Us.  No I am not opening it, I put it in the cabinet.  I searched for something 'fun' and I think I found it - especially since I have driven a Ford for the past 17 years.   I took the pic while standing on line.  

Goodbye TRU... 

IMG_2548.JPG

Edited by Buzzetta

On March 9, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Looks like Toys R Us will be going into liquidation with all USA stores.  End of an era.  Not sure what markets will now cater to the exclusive toy crowd, but I think high end collectors toys will continue to move towards an online only model.

Not to mention the magical experience of being a wide-eyed youth and going into a warehouse-sized place like that. When I was a kid, we had Lionel Playworld early on and then TRU came into our area maybe around 84 or 85 (I remember seeing one in Dallas while on vacation and losing my mind, was so excited when we finally got one in Atlanta as well). Some of my happiest memories as a youngster were the Saturdays where my grandmother and I would hit 3 or 4 toy shops in one day while she knocked out her shopping as well. Pretty much from lunch until dark, we were driving around shopping. I'm guessing those type of experiences are on the way out for kids.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:52 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Looks like Toys R Us will be going into liquidation with all USA stores.  End of an era.  Not sure what markets will now cater to the exclusive toy crowd, but I think high end collectors toys will continue to move towards an online only model.

Gah, that just breaks my heart. True, I only get to a TRU about once a month or so these days, but growing up, there was nothing else like it. Kids today have no idea. All of those long aisles and enormous shelves, lined top to bottom with toys. The GI Joe/Transformers aisle...drool. I remember when we got our first TRU here, I went on opening day, and they had a PARADE through the store, with Geoffrey and He-man and I don't even remember who else. It was an EVENT. There's just nothing like that today.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Gah, that just breaks my heart. True, I only get to a TRU about once a month or so these days, but growing up, there was nothing else like it. Kids today have no idea. All of those long aisles and enormous shelves, lined top to bottom with toys. The GI Joe/Transformers aisle...drool. I remember when we got our first TRU here, I went on opening day, and they had a PARADE through the store, with Geoffrey and He-man and I don't even remember who else. It was an EVENT. There's just nothing like that today.

The best kids will get today is John Travolta :( 

mRluNDklT1mSqS675Akp_c13.gif

I may have mentioned this before, but after my grandmother passed away, we of course had to go through a bunch of her stuff and she was a bit of a hoarder. One of the best things I found was an old Lionel Playworld bag... a big one, too... like Millennium Falcon big. I'm learning to make frames now. Once I get it down, I'm going to frame that bag and hang it in my toy/comic room. Like F4F said, kids today have no idea.

I really loved the Toy's R Us jingle in the 80's, but even though there was one in Dallas where I was, my parents didn't want me getting over zealous for toys so they never took me. When I was older though, I have to admit while inside it was a bit vacant :( 

?width=400&version=2434310

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/9/2018 at 6:42 AM, Max Carnage said:

Thought I'd share pics of my Star Wars AFA 12 back collection and my Mego super-hero collection.

20180309_143406.jpg

20180309_143328.jpg

Where is Luke? :baiting:

...but seriously, amazing...

How bananas is the AFA 85 L-Slot Rocket Firing Bob Fett auction hammer at 85K?  It was my understanding that these were fairly available up until a few years ago for around 25K.

Edited by dem1138

1 minute ago, dem1138 said:

How bananas is the AFA 85 L-Slot Rocket Firing Bob Fett auction hammer at 85K?  It was my understanding that these were fairly available up until maybe 6-12 months ago for around 25K.

While that price may have been higher than most would ever imagine, especially anyone tracking the values of RF Fett's, $25K was more like 4 years ago pricing. When I sold one of mine in 2016, it was about a $30-$40K item. The main issue I had beyond the hammer price is that it was graded 13 years ago, and looked like a gift grade. I cannot see this grading an 85 if it were resubbed, so anything over $40-$50K to me for an 85 that really should have graded a 75/80 is crazy town.

24 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

While that price may have been higher than most would ever imagine, especially anyone tracking the values of RF Fett's, $25K was more like 4 years ago pricing. When I sold one of mine in 2016, it was about a $30-$40K item. The main issue I had beyond the hammer price is that it was graded 13 years ago, and looked like a gift grade. I cannot see this grading an 85 if it were resubbed, so anything over $40-$50K to me for an 85 that really should have graded a 75/80 is crazy town.

Yeah, I remember when they started getting up around $30k, seems like it was about 5 years ago (I had a friend that bought two at the time)(:whatthe:). I already thought that price was cray-cray and look where we are now. I didn't see the one that just sold, but heard about the price. What was the issue with it? Discoloration? 

5 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, I remember when they started getting up around $30k, seems like it was about 5 years ago (I had a friend that bought two at the time)(:whatthe:). I already thought that price was cray-cray and look where we are now. I didn't see the one that just sold, but heard about the price. What was the issue with it? Discoloration? 

I noticed some unusual spots/stains, hard to tell if it was plastic degradation or dirty. If it's the latter, very strange as AFA usually cleans figures. The torso was definitely discoloured. The scuffing/scratches, and even one hole in the helmet area.  There was stress on the red latch, and the missile was even wierd looking. I've seen some in not the greatest shape, but it just completely surprised me to see something in that condition with an AFA 85 grade.