• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I've seen 8 backs for both blister sizes. Here is a graded one for the narrower blister you're concerned about.

If the glare you're referring to is the streaks along the sides, I'm not sure I can see enough from the photos you've share to know definitively. However, blisters edges can shift, and leave a similar type of line. The streak itself looks like the blister not bonding cleanly in those areas, but this isn't uncommon to see even with factory sealed blisters. Again, I can't say with 100% certainty, but if that is a reseal, the person who did it is scary good.

This link is to the large blister version.  The narrow blister does not let the figure inside move around (which I actually prefer).  I'll take some more photos shortly.

There's two possibilities.

1) In a hypothetical scenario where this card had a wider blister at one time, it could have been very cleanly cut/shaved down to the very surface, and to the point where going any further would show litho loss or tearing. Once doing so, a narrower blister could be sealed over top, and placed in a maner where it appear like it's original to the MOC.

2) On the flipside, if the nest used to factory seal these was designed to accomodate a wider blister, then the use of a narrower blister would leave impression marks where the seal was making contact with the cardback, rather than the edge of the blister. The image below is just to show what a nest looks like - there is a tray where the blister sits inside, and the figure is place inside the blister, then the cardback over top, and it's pushed into a seal machine that delivers measured heat and weight to seal.

The resistance used on these factory sealing machines usually leaves an impression on the back of the card, that is roughly the outline of the blister. What would be important to also check is the impression left on the back is for a narrower blister, and not a wider one, to rule out hypothetical scenario 1.

MOC_nest.jpg

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

then the use of a narrower blister would leave impression marks where the seal was making contact with the cardback, rather than the edge of the blister

That makes sense to me, and is probably what happened with these.  I have a Tyr figure that would be an example of your #1 description (the original blister cut down to the card surface and then new blister applied over it).

I looked at the backs but there are no impressions (my large bubble WW is in poor condition and the card has warped/sunk into the blister tray - probably moisture).

9 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Not looking good for Jabba's Sail Barge, nice they will throw in a POTF Yak Face but 1400 more backers needed with 9 days to go.

Yak Face will find it's way to a wide release if they did the tooling.  It is a POTF2 figure that has never been updated. 

From a couple collections ago. 

Both are in fantastic condition. 

AVAC for the Firebat/Terror Drome. 

Cobra Ninja Viper.  Been looking for that one for a long time.  Came with the grey swords. 

5ab9866b36af7_20180201_2228551.thumb.jpg.33543ebee4d258c83c8fce9982b61d0e.jpg

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Does anyone here re-card their old figures?  If so, is there a good source for blisters?

That practice is generally frowned upon in most of the action figure hobbies. Not that you can't find the info out there but be aware you'll get some negativity the more you ask around. 

Just now, Chip Cataldo said:

That practice is generally frowned upon in most of the action figure hobbies. Not that you can't find the info out there but be aware you'll get some negativity the more you ask around. 

Understandably.  I would hate if someone sold me a re-card as an authentic factory sealed figure.  I am more interested in designing different cardbacks that would never be mistaken for the original.  I just want to put my child-hood figures back in a presentable display (for myself).

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Understandably.  I would hate if someone sold me a re-card as an authentic factory sealed figure.  I am more interested in designing different cardbacks that would never be mistaken for the original.  I just want to put my child-hood figures back in a presentable display (for myself).

I hear ya. Just giving you a heads up on what you'll encounter when looking for your supplies. ?

To barge or not to barge... I need to decide in three days... 

Now... due to space constraints I know that if I get this I will never be able to get anything else of this size. 

Part of me would like a GI Joe USS Flag, Star Wars Ghost or other large scale item, but then I am banking on those going into production in a few years.

No matter what the Barge is going forward.  

Thoughts?    Oh yeah... mail call today.  BBTS delivers with Dinobots, AT-ST and the Autobot Twins. (I refuse to call them clones... so derogatory)

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Now... due to space constraints I know that if I get this I will never be able to get anything else of this size. 

Part of me would like a GI Joe USS Flag, Star Wars Ghost or other large scale item, but then I am banking on those going into production in a few years.

Thoughts?    Oh yeah... mail call today.  BBTS delivers with Dinobots, AT-ST and the Autobot Twins. (I refuse to call them clones... so derogatory)

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

I kind of wish they would have made Grimlock leader class and the other four voyager class and the new one deluxe class, damn that would have been cool

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

I caved in and bought a barge.  I now have a year to decide where to place it.  lol

@Yorick as @Chip Cataldo stated, there is a great deal of negativity towards "recards", and while the description you've given sounds more like a custom (as it can't be confused with an original), there still is a down the line aspect that the source for your blister is gaining undeserved wealth selling reproduction items that are frowned upon, and in effect purchasing from such sources supports their practices. I can tell you one of the more germane examples is Mark Poon, who started out making "cool customs", and what collectors didn't realize is that those initial purchases eventually led to financially supporting his move into making reproduction figures, weapons and cardbacks. I realize this isn't necessarily your end goal, but I thought I'd give you context to why it's frowned upon.