• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,334 posts in this topic

Yeah, it's funny to see the old price tags, partly because of the prices and partly for the stores, whether they're still around, long-extinct or just obscure mom-n-pop places with weird names. I've seen quite a few Transformers with Tru-Value, Belk and Roses stickers, too. They seemed to show up in weirder places than the regular toy lines.

Don't know if any of you guys remember these McDonald's 1996 food premiums, but I do, and have very fond memories of them. I remember these were released in anticipation of a Spider-Man movie which never materialized. And it would take another 6 years before SONY took over rights to make one. I collected a sealed set when these first came out, but last year had the opportunity to add the original Spider-Man wax and harcopy of the vehicle from that line. I am now finalizing the deal for all the remaining vehicles from this toy line, which include Scorpion, Venom and Hobgoblin. I'll post them when I get them, and the photos really don't do the detail on these justice, but in the meantime here is a photo of the one I currently own, and I couldn't be happier to keep this series of toys together. Coincidentally, these came from the same studio that produced sculpts for Kenner and the Star Wars line

spider-man_preprod.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Grumble.... 

I'm supposed to buy a car and save for a roof. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 2.46.09 PM.png

On the brighter side, the barge building and that 5,000 were created because of pre-order.....made yahoo news and a yahoo article.....

NOW it should be worth double, right? get the word out somehow, and your already guaranteed one :foryou:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hasbro-got-5-000-pre-035700973.html

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

On the brighter side, the barge building and that 5,000 were created because of pre-order.....made yahoo news and a yahoo article.....

NOW it should be worth double, right? get the word out somehow, and your already guaranteed one :foryou:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hasbro-got-5-000-pre-035700973.html

As of now I bought it for potential resale with the mindset that if I get stuck with it... I get stuck with it. 

• I speculate that protect the box it would weigh in at 17 lbs... the barge itself weighs in at 13+ lbs... I figure inserts and the box + mailer would make it 17 lbs
  • Since the vehicle is 4 feet long I speculate the box required would be near 5 feet with a width of 20" around.  60"x20"x20"
  • That means that shipping cross country (NY to CA) if I made that type of sale would be too cost prohibitive for a potential buyer via USPS.  UPS seems to charge around $40 by those numbers. 

Sooo... if you do not buy it now but wait for later what is the minimum it would cost considering the seller wanted to make their money back?

• $540 Khetanna (accounting for tax)
  • $50 to ship charged to buyer
  • $60 eBay fee the seller needs to account for. ($600 estimate)
  • 3% PayPal fee off of $600 at this point since sellers are charged fees on shipping for shipping ($18)

Basically I think you will not find this for less than around $675 when they are released on eBay next year and that's IF the seller wants to include all incentives. 

So for a seller to break even he needs to charge around $625 + shipping for this. 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've thought the same concerning my Hulk vs Wolverine Statue, heavy sucker meh, but in the end I hope you and I get some enjoyment out them!

As of now... it is never coming out of the box.   I have a year to clear out some space. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

As of now... it is never coming out of the box.   I have a year to clear out some space. 

Really? I thought that the release would have been sooner, well it looks you have a year for the buzz to swell too Buzz----etta lol :wishluck: Hope it works out for you! I will always remember my Hulk vs Wolverine, which I happily display, because I traded horribly for it ahaha a ASM 129 cgc 4.5 and a SS 4 cgc 8.0 which had cream to off-white pages and suffered from shaking in the cgc case...

but still doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

Not plastic crack, but a place to show off my collectibles. Picked up this cabinet over the weekend, and wanted to see how it looks before deciding whether to paint or stain the unfinished piece. Also might remove the doors on top.

5ac219c783ba8_Cabinet1.thumb.jpg.e991811886d0789c497c2a1c6abbbafc.jpg

I am inspired to take some pics of my China cabinet... 

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

China is boring so I filled it with toys dating as far back as the 1930's if not earlier and things that were meaningful that were given by close relatives and friends as I grew up.  Some are a couple of recent pickups that just look too cool like some of the recent Transformers.  There are no vintage Star Wars or GI Joe toys in there as I have those packed away.   As I find more old toys I will pull out the modern stuff to make space.  BTW... those wooden trains, the black ones with the blue passenger car and the large wooden truck with trailer are both made by Lego before Lego made plastic bricks. 

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

Very nice!! Who wants to display china anyway... this kind of stuff is way cooler, thanks for sharing.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, it's funny to see the old price tags, partly because of the prices and partly for the stores, whether they're still around, long-extinct or just obscure mom-n-pop places with weird names. I've seen quite a few Transformers with Tru-Value, Belk and Roses stickers, too. They seemed to show up in weirder places than the regular toy lines.

I especially love finding pieces locally with local price tags on them. Love seeing those long gone dept and toy stores. Thornbury's, Airways, Zayre, Consolidated, Children's Palace, etc. Great memories.

Edited by F For Fake

47 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I especially love finding pieces locally with local price tags on them. Love seeing those long gone dept and toy stores. Thornbury's, Airways, Zayre, Consolidated, Children's Palace, etc. Great memories.

It really is refreshing to hear this. It wasn't that long ago that I was one of the few people sticking their necks out in the vintage Star Wars collecting community, warning people of the risks and history being scrubbed from carded and boxed toys through price sticker removal activities. Lighter fluid and goo gone seemed to be the more prevalent chemicals being used, and it seemed the more vocally against these warnings were people who had been doing this for years. One individual in particular who had been giving out instructions on how to do it in his Facebook groups, followed me to warning threads, even ridiculed my conceerns, and thought it was all scare mongering, but now is a partner in a toy grading company. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

It really is refreshing to hear this. It wasn't that long ago that I was one of the few people sticking their necks out in the vintage Star Wars collecting community, warning people of the risks and history being scrubbed from carded and boxed toys through price sticker removal activities. Lighter fluid and goo gone seemed to be the more prevalent chemicals being used, and it seemed the more vocally against these warnings were people who had been doing this for years. One individual in particular who had been giving out instructions on how to do it in his Facebook groups, followed me to warning threads, even ridiculed my conceerns, and thought it was all scare mongering, but now is a partner in a toy grading company. :facepalm:

I never understood the hatred for price stickers. I mean, sure, there are exceptions; no one wants a huge clearance sticker blocking the card artwork, or something distracting or ugly. But a "normal" price sticker from a store that is most likely no longer around, place innocuously in the corner? I think it just adds to the charm and nostalgia of the piece. I'm on your side!

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I never understood the hatred for price stickers. I mean, sure, there are exceptions; no one wants a huge clearance sticker blocking the card artwork, or something distracting or ugly. But a "normal" price sticker from a store that is most likely no longer around, place innocuously in the corner? I think it just adds to the charm and nostalgia of the piece. I'm on your side!

I think it just boils down to aesthetics and personal taste, not much different from someone who specifically collects offerless/unpunched cards that just wants as clean a front as possible. Heck, I even knew of a person that would remove the GI Joe stickered offers like Super Trooper (bad example, that was a pretty ugly sticker), just to get a cleaner front. I think there's a little bit stronger argument for removing price stickers since they're not factory-original, but I'm not advocating for or against. I like to see them just like I love a date stamp on a comic, but it's up to the person who owns the item to do as they please. Many times those stickers come off and it looks worse because of the technique or tenacity of the glue, that's the real shame IMO.