• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,308 posts in this topic

Still available for $24.99... I bought a couple to resell down the road... or to have an epic display in my backyard...

I already have the BMF AT-AT from a few years back.

Black Series... AT-ST 

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/65211

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.37.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 9.38.04 PM.png

Anyone scoping out Toys R Us as they get closer to full on liquidation mode for stores still open? There are some pretty expensive items still on the shelves such as Star Wars, legos etc. that are getting more attractive by the day. Discounts will vary in your area, currently right now 30-50% off. Cheers.

Just now, DC|Marvel said:

Anyone scoping out Toys R Us as they get closer to full on liquidation mode for stores still open? There are some pretty expensive items still on the shelves such as Star Wars, legos etc. that are getting more attractive by the day. Discounts will vary in your area, currently right now 30-50% off. Cheers.

I have been and while Lego is 15% off, it is still cheaper on Amazon and directly from Lego as well as at Target and Walmart.  Mid June is the end day.   Supposedly you should be ready for 50-70% off in about two weeks. 

17 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have been and while Lego is 15% off, it is still cheaper on Amazon and directly from Lego as well as at Target and Walmart.  Mid June is the end day.   Supposedly you should be ready for 50-70% off in about two weeks. 

That is a good point. The sign says up to 50% but I can not really seem to find anything yet. Everything non-lego is 30%. American Girls dolls in the front end were the only toy line at 40% off. I am specifically looking at getting the Millennium Falcon drone (Air Hogs super size version) and that full size remote R2 unit. 

11 hours ago, srezvan said:

Slowly working on a full set of M.U.S.C.L.E.s as I can get them for cheap. Made these shelves to hold them. Unfortunately, I need to make one more.

568317271_MUSCLEsDisplay.thumb.jpg.666271972fb191a7f7b27054d501f41c.jpg

Really awesome.  

Is there a good source to find each one (like the poster)?

Patrick

17 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is not a toy. its a star wars painting i recently made. i thought this thread would appreciate it, since the 'post your artwork' thread doesnt get alot of views, but i guess it might get kicked out since its not technically an action figure. on instagram, every third comment tends to be about spock, often negatively, or asking why he's there.

Now that you mention it, why is Spock in there?  How is Vader eating that cookie?

REALLY great likenesses and fun image.  I wish I was that good with color.

19 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is not a toy. its a star wars painting i recently made. i thought this thread would appreciate it, since the 'post your artwork' thread doesnt get alot of views, but i guess it might get kicked out since its not technically an action figure. on instagram, every third comment tends to be about spock, often negatively, or asking why he's there.

sweet-teeth-LG.jpg

Damn good, Dude. Wish I had skills like that. 

My twins are now 2.5 years old, so for the past few months my son in particular has gotten heavily addicted to action figures.  As his interest in them grows, mine has rekindled.  I've never collected, but I played with Star Wars figures in the 1970s and GI Joe in the 1980s.  I gave it up about the age of 12 and never got back into it.  I started buying statues from about 2000 to 2008, and I didn't realize that Hot Toys had effectively crossed the line between action figures and statues until just yesterday, and since then I've been thinking a lot about switching from statues to these figures.  I've got a few newbie-level questions about this type of ultra-high-detailed action figure:

• Is there a better word for these high-end figures than just "high-end figures," "highly-detailed figures," or "Hot Toys figures"?
  • Are there other major companies doing what Hot Toys is doing?
  • Are any of the companies creating these things adhering to classic comic styles?  Hot Toys appears to mostly try to reproduce the specific look and body type of actors from films, but is anyone creating highly-detailed figures that adhere to comic forms like classic Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc?  I don't really want Hugh Jackman in jeans or in that dumb original X-Men black movie costume, I want a 5' 2" yellow and black Wolverine hunkered down and looking feral or a Juggernaut that's built like a Hummvee.
  • Has anyone fully switched from statues to these figures?  Suddenly statues seem MUCH less appealing knowing these figures are so much lighter, articulated, and fun to play with.  My two-year old just broke down crying a few days ago when he asked to hold my Bowen Daredevil statue and I wouldn't let him, and I know how he feels, I wished in that moment I could play with it, too, and let him play with it.  :frown:
  • Is there a master list somewhere on the web of all the Hot Toys figures that have been released?  Or even better, a master list of all highly-detailed figures available from all companies?
  • Is anyone else turned off by action figures that look like real human beings?  At first, I was amazed at the level of detail.  As I looked at more and more of them, the idea of having a plastic version of a realistic-looking human being began to creep me out.  I may get over it, but for now I'm torn between admiring the craft and feeling creeped out by their appearance.  There's a well-known phenomenon called the "uncanny valley" where if something looks almost exactly like a human being but is very slightly off, it tends to creep people out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

The uncanny valley has mostly come up in society in relation to androids and realistic-looking robots.  I think I'm having this exact reaction to Hot Toys figures, but I'm not sure of it yet.  Like I said, I just found out they existed yesterday so my taste for them is still forming.
Edited by fantastic_four

53 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

My twins are now 2.5 years old, so for the past few months my son in particular has gotten heavily addicted to action figures.  As his interest in them grows, mine has rekindled.  I've never collected, but I played with Star Wars figures in the 1970s and GI Joe in the 1980s.  I gave it up about the age of 12 and never got back into it.  I started buying statues from about 2000 to 2008, and I didn't realize that Hot Toys had effectively crossed the line between action figures and statues until just yesterday, and since then I've been thinking a lot about switching from statues to these figures.  I've got a few newbie-level questions about this type of ultra-high-detailed action figure:

• Is there a better word for these high-end figures than just "high-end figures," "highly-detailed figures," or "Hot Toys figures"?
  • Are there other major companies doing what Hot Toys is doing?
  • Are any of the companies creating these things adhering to classic comic styles?  Hot Toys appears to mostly try to reproduce the specific look and body type of actors from films, but is anyone creating highly-detailed figures that adhere to comic forms like classic Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc?  I don't really want Hugh Jackman in jeans or in that dumb original X-Men black movie costume, I want a 5' 2" yellow and black Wolverine hunkered down and looking feral or a Juggernaut that's built like a Hummvee.
  • Has anyone fully switched from statues to these figures?  Suddenly statues seem MUCH less appealing knowing these figures are so much lighter, articulated, and fun to play with.  My two-year old just broke down crying a few days ago when he asked to hold my Bowen Daredevil statue and I wouldn't let him, and I know how he feels, I wished in that moment I could play with it, too, and let him play with it.  :frown:
  • Is there a master list somewhere on the web of all the Hot Toys figures that have been released?  Or even better, a master list of all highly-detailed figures available from all companies?
  • Is anyone else turned off by action figures that look like real human beings?  At first, I was amazed at the level of detail.  As I looked at more and more of them, the idea of having a plastic version of a realistic-looking human being began to creep me out.  I may get over it, but for now I'm torn between admiring the craft and feeling creeped out by their appearance.  There's a well-known phenomenon called the "uncanny valley" where if something looks almost exactly like a human being but is very slightly off, it tends to creep people out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

The uncanny valley has mostly come up in society in relation to androids and realistic-looking robots.  I think I'm having this exact reaction to Hot Toys figures, but I'm not sure of it yet.  Like I said, I just found out they existed yesterday so my taste for them is still forming.

Try these, better than crack.  Mezco 6"...

rs30.jpg

wolverine1.jpg

ww1.jpg

IM1.jpg

joker1.jpg

ds1.jpg

darkseid1.jpg

cw1.jpg

hulk1.jpg

frank1.jpg

No action figures, but how about a shiny metal batarang? This showed up in the mail yesterday, and we had no idea what it was, turns out my wife dropped a business card into a giveaway bucket while at a comic shop months ago and this was the prize. Pretty neat, the base is heavy and solid, the post is magnetic so the batarang just snaps onto it.

IMAG0362.thumb.jpg.7c84514ebccc2659bbd7d51f9e7c1135.jpg

IMAG0363.thumb.jpg.431a8e6636c3fed8f31821da1b91570e.jpg

IMAG0364.thumb.jpg.c854548661091428c0010cf01a45e5bb.jpg

2 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

No action figures, but how about a shiny metal batarang? This showed up in the mail yesterday, and we had no idea what it was, turns out my wife dropped a business card into a giveaway bucket while at a comic shop months ago and this was the prize. Pretty neat, the base is heavy and solid, the post is magnetic so the batarang just snaps onto it.

IMAG0362.thumb.jpg.7c84514ebccc2659bbd7d51f9e7c1135.jpg

IMAG0363.thumb.jpg.431a8e6636c3fed8f31821da1b91570e.jpg

IMAG0364.thumb.jpg.c854548661091428c0010cf01a45e5bb.jpg

Congrats on the win.  It does look neat.  Is it sharp?  Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

1 minute ago, rat chew said:

Congrats on the win.  It does look neat.  Is it sharp?  Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

Haha, it's not sharp, but it is pointy as hell. I told my wife to display this at work, that way she can't throw it at me.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

Haha, it's not sharp, but it is pointy as hell. I told my wife to display this at work, that way she can't throw it at me.

I actually bought one from sideshow a while back... they're like a $50 item. It's the batarang replica from the Batman vs superman movie. Thought about getting Affleck to sign it at fan expo Dallas when he showed up, but at $200 an auto and no coa sticker, I couldn't talk myself into it...

1526400754811378330179.jpg

26 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I actually bought one from sideshow a while back... they're like a $50 item. It's the batarang replica from the Batman vs superman movie. Thought about getting Affleck to sign it at fan expo Dallas when he showed up, but at $200 an auto and no coa sticker, I couldn't talk myself into it...

1526400754811378330179.jpg

It really is a nice piece, well made.  Cool statues BTW!

On 5/13/2018 at 7:58 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

I've never been a fan of star wars, but that's a cool painting, congrats