• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2018 at 4:41 PM, KolmarAvenue said:

I picked these up at the dollar tree, they're paperweights that look like mini busts and they're actually quite nice! I happened to stumble into a dollar tree for the first time in forever and found out I could buy a broom for a dollar.

https://www.dollartree.com/Marvel-Avengers-Plastic-Superhero-Busts-4-in-/p402387/index.pro

I've had the cap and iron man for a while now and just found the hulk and spidey today.

IMG_20180818_153041053_2.jpg

Yes, they had an Iron Man and Captain America too. I'm always thinking about displaying stuff so it's kind of funny that you posted these because I bought the Iron Man partly for my son, but purely on the hunch the box was perfect for a Batman wax torso that I wanted to display upright.

wax_toros.jpg.3736d3278b2a8b7b5a0564274e6ebb41.jpg

Eventually I had an acrylic case made for it, but I still used the plastic insert to hold up the wax in the case

wax_torso2.jpg.fb7352ae80c003c03b4d2dcbb902fea5.jpg

49 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

In the recent MUSCLE collection, I bought a boxed MUSCLE ring. 

My brother and I threw down in epic battles with this thing.  Okay, maybe they were just getting slapped against each other.  

Funny having it now.  About the simplest design that a toy could have.  The "ropes" are just some strings wrapped around the posts. 

Nice box

Never played with. 

Figures are in the original sealed package. 

Includes the original inserts (white insert which you see in the ring and cardboard insert in the box). 

Patrick

20180818_220557[1].jpg

20180818_220616[1].jpg

20180818_220701[1].jpg

20180821_214420[1].jpg

That is awesome 

On 8/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Added an Ultron to the robot pile this week. If anyone has some kooky suggestions for my next purchase, let me know. I've got Roboto from the vintage He-Man line on my radar but otherwise am open to opinions. I'm trying to keep it eclectic with not a lot of figures (one or two max) from the same line in there. 

IMG_20180806_193141.jpg

I'm sure you're aware that you are still in the Hall of Shame.   How are you even posting here knowing you screwed enough people to be a Shame member?  Just curious.

I ran into a collection of 500 or so 1990's - 2000's toys. All still NIB..looks like just run of the mill superhero stuff. I think he wants original retail price for them. Worth pursuing? I am not a toy guy. Anything I should look for specifically? thanks

On 8/16/2018 at 10:53 PM, Lamborghinikid said:

I am new to the boards but i have picked up a few cool pieces through the years. This one took me some time to find but the wait was well worth it

F07BF447-3094-4488-9883-2D1BEFD3838E.png

^^ - Thread is over. lol Just wow.... 

On 8/16/2018 at 10:53 PM, Lamborghinikid said:

I am new to the boards but i have picked up a few cool pieces through the years. This one took me some time to find but the wait was well worth it

F07BF447-3094-4488-9883-2D1BEFD3838E.png

Very nice i know Tom well, pretty ruthless in a paintball match. I used to love hearing Eddie A tell stories about rocket fetts when they were finding them back in the day.

Awesome grab!

Phillip

9 hours ago, Wipple said:

I ran into a collection of 500 or so 1990's - 2000's toys. All still NIB..looks like just run of the mill superhero stuff. I think he wants original retail price for them. Worth pursuing? I am not a toy guy. Anything I should look for specifically? thanks

My initial thought is that it's probably too much. 

Any idea of what toy lines and approx prices? 

Patrick

7 hours ago, followtheleader said:

My initial thought is that it's probably too much. 

Any idea of what toy lines and approx prices? 

Patrick

20-30 plastic bins full. Going to ask for some pictures. thx

11 hours ago, scumdolly said:

@comicwiz The CEO is Todd DeMartino. The guy took pre-orders for a book he was writing--in 2006--and probably still hasn't finished it/ refunded several people their money. He has the time to start a sub-par grading company, but not the time to finish his already-funded book?

Yes, it was just brought up in this thread which talked about this very incident of CAS grading recards, by a forum admin, and described as Todd "owing dozens of people thousands of dollars" - not sure about the accuracy of this statement, but it certainly makes me think that doesn't bode well for people to trust him, as you put it, running this "sub-par grading company." There's also an over decade long thread on Rebelscum, with a second thread started about 7 years ago that was meant to open the lines of communication, in an effort to steer the books publication back on course, but it ended-up transforming into a mud-slinging contest, further frustrating people who had been waiting with nothing to show for it.

The other CAS partner and COO, Ken Black has left a trail of victims with his two previous businesses, and the web-based evidence and allegations against him suggest he used bankruptcy as a shield to avoid paying consignors what they were owed. There's an extensive thread about it discussed here. There's also a Morning Call article about it, which cites "their [bankruptcy] filing lists estimated liabilities of between $100,001 and $500,000 to an estimated 50 to 99 creditors.

One of the creditors and victims (and to connect it to the comic hobby as well) by the name of Robert Pitt filed an Objection to Confirmation of Chapter 13 Plan Based on Fraud and Non-Disclosure of assets where he alleges Ken/Sellersville took the comics he had brought to Sellersvile to have auctioned, which included an All-Star Comics #8 (this is the original listing too, showing it hammered at $24K) Sellersville sold them, and never gave him a cent. He further alleges in the filing that the money from that sale was used to start-up CAS.

I don't have anything positive to say about the third partner, especially because he's been allowed to throw his weight around as an admin of a SW Facebook group, and any situation brought up that makes him look bad, makes you a target of either being blocked/banned from his groups or bad mouthed by his cohorts who unequivocally support him and this bad imitator of a toy grader.

Edited by comicwiz

@comicwiz I will probably be in the minority here, but I am fine with a graded repro card (it should be the "purple label" of toy collecting).  The grade label states that it is a reproduction card, correct?  The asking price for the item is what would pull in an unsuspecting collector (and seeing that price for those particular figures, one might just hit the buy-it-now without reading or looking closely).  When you are paying that much for any collectible, one should look closely at all photos and read full descriptions.

I do recall seeing a Super Powers Made-in-Mexico Batman that was graded by that same company as a pre-production figure, so I personally would be wary of that company.

25 minutes ago, Yorick said:

@comicwiz I will probably be in the minority here, but I am fine with a graded repro card (it should be the "purple label" of toy collecting).  The grade label states that it is a reproduction card, correct?  The asking price for the item is what would pull in an unsuspecting collector (and seeing that price for those particular figures, one might just hit the buy-it-now without reading or looking closely).  When you are paying that much for any collectible, one should look closely at all photos and read full descriptions.

I do recall seeing a Super Powers Made-in-Mexico Batman that was graded by that same company as a pre-production figure, so I personally would be wary of that company.

The situation involved here would be more analogous to CGC grading (or "archiving", what a joke) a color copy of a comic that you or I made at home, so I don't think the purple label comparison would apply. Not even the Cerebus or TMNT counterfeits would be a like-for-like. Furthermore, the sale of repros, as Joe said, is vehemently opposed in most circles of SW collectors. I'm not sure if Joe pointed it out originally, but the Jawa's vinyl cape, not surprisingly, is also a reproduction. As you say, it's not hard to vaguely misrepresent something like this as legitimate because of the appearance that it's been authenticated and fleece a new collector of their hard-earned cash, maybe even driving them out of the hobby when they realize they've been scammed. This same grading company also recently boasted about "archiving" a steak knife. I'm serious. @comicwiz Thanks for bringing this incident up in this forum -- it's at least reassuring to see SW collectors take a hard line against this and hold them accountable for such irresponsible and hypocritical actions.