• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,323 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, it's odd, there was supposed to be a "reset" on October 1st, with Wave 2 hitting. Instead, Wave 2 has trickled out to some stores, not made other stores at all, and like you said, the Mego's have been removed entirely from several locations. Anecdotally, sales on Wave 1 were slow...I mean, heck, they were mostly warming pegs in every store I went to. I hope Target doesn't pull the plug on the project altogether. 

A lot of people are not happy as not all Targets are getting everything.  Only 10,000 of each to go out to all the Targets and what has sold on line.

i 'm not a toy guy  however i find this thread fascinating.

serious question:

what's more important the box or the toy? Please don't say "both" so to insure that let me restate the question. You can have only one, which do you take:

Mint condition G.I. Joe box

or

Mint condition G.I. Joe that came in box listed above?

20 minutes ago, NoMan said:

serious question:

what's more important the box or the toy? Please don't say "both" so to insure that let me restate the question. You can have only one, which do you take:

or

It depends on the collector. Some only care about the toy. Other like me care more about the packaging. For me the vintage card and box art is what I love more than the toys itself.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Images said:

It depends on the collector. Some only care about the toy. Other like me care more about the packaging. For me the vintage card and box art is what I love more than the toys itself.

Agreed. It depends on the collector. 

Edited by Buzzetta

26 minutes ago, NoMan said:

serious question:

or

@Shadow Images is correct that it depends on the collector but it also depends on the toy.

Using your example, 

I won't touch vintage Joes on the card. I've made mention of that in this thread. When I brought it up to a dealer at NYCC he sheepishly said that I was right.  Then he added that most people don't realize that He-Man figures suffer from the same issues.

For O-Ring GI Joes, I want the most mint loose specimen possible. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

@Shadow Images is correct that it depends on the collector but it also depends on the toy.

Using your example, 

I won't touch vintage Joes on the card. I've made mention of that in this thread. When I brought it up to a dealer at NYCC he sheepishly said that I was right.  Then he added that most people don't realize that He-Man figures suffer from the same issues.

For O-Ring GI Joes, I want the most mint loose specimen possible. 

I"m sorry, what does "I won't touch vintage Joes on the card" mean? 

Card is slang for packaging, right?

I will say this: at conventions just looking at the loose toys in the big clear plastic box divided in little compartments for the loose toys IS IN NO WAY AS EXCITING as looking at the boxes. Which I guess is just a lesson in life itself. 

Edited by NoMan

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I"m sorry, what does "I won't touch vintage Joes on the card" mean? 

Card is slang for packaging, right?

I will say this: at conventions just looking at the loose toys in the big clear plastic box divided in little compartments for the loose toys IS IN NO WAY AS EXCITING as looking at the boxes. Which I guess is just a lesson in life itself. 

O-Ring GI Joes are known to sometimes have the o-ring break even while still in the packaging/"on card"

Just now, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

O-Ring GI Joes are known to sometimes have the o-ring break even while still in the packaging/"on card"

I can say this to that: I bought a Time Traveler Micronaut in some kinda CGC-kinda company graded case still in the package. I cracked it out of it's grading company case and tore it out of the package and started to play with it. It immediately snapped at the hip. 

For a second a felt kinda stupid then just posted the packaging in my closet so I see it everyday and I love it. 

I have some carded Joes, and I love 'em, but they are basically time bombs. I hope the rings don't rot and snap, but you never know. So, like Buzz, I prefer loose/mint/complete for my personal collection. Plus they're super fun to pose and "play" with!

24 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I have some carded Joes, and I love 'em, but they are basically time bombs. I hope the rings don't rot and snap, but you never know. So, like Buzz, I prefer loose/mint/complete for my personal collection. Plus they're super fun to pose and "play" with!

so you mean you want one a nice condition not in the box?

Edited by NoMan

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

serious question:

or

Even harder when you look at G1 Transformers. 

Packaging is often much harder to get than the toy. 

Major qualifier is a mint and complete toy.   The primary toy is typically the least valuable thing as packaging and accessories are scarcer and more desirable. 

For me, it's packaging at this point.  Wouldn't have said that earlier in my collecting.  

But after you've collected for a long time, you see that quite a bit is not that hard to get.  

Patrick

5 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I have an example of a Joe that exploded in a MIB.  Both the o-ring and the t-hook snapped off!

Still pissed because it's one of the Sky Patrol which are favs of mine.  

I'll try to get a pic up this weekend. 

On a side note, I actually don't care if the o-ring breaks.  It's more typical than people realize, but the packaging has the figure tight enough that you can't tell.  The T-Hook is a different story. 

Patrick 

Speaking of the art on the box, here is a question for @STORMSHADOW_80, @comicwiz, @followtheleader, and any other Joe Collectors...

Has anyone ever seen any of the vintage card art floating around in any auctions?  Hakes maybe?  I assume that the majority of it at this point is in black hole collections if it was ever even made available.  

11 hours ago, NoMan said:

so you mean you want one a nice condition not in the box?

Well, the figures usually come on a card, not really in a box, but yeah, my collection tends to be loose/mint/complete, meaning just that: a figure that is not in any sort of package, is in near perfect shape, and has all of its accessories.  I do enjoy having the cards themselves though, just for the artwork, and they can display nicely with the loose figures. Same with vehicles. I like unboxed, loose/complete vehicles, but I love the box art, so I'd enjoy displaying the boxes alongside (or behind, usually) the vehicles themselves.

To be clear, I'm talking about GI Joes here. There are other lines, like Secret Wars, etc, where I like them better on the card.And again, it mostly comes down to price. I certainly won't turn away GI Joes that are still sealed on the card if they're cheap. I just won't invest a lot of money in a carded Joe, because you just don't know what will happen over time.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Speaking of the art on the box, here is a question for @STORMSHADOW_80, @comicwiz, @followtheleader, and any other Joe Collectors...

Has anyone ever seen any of the vintage card art floating around in any auctions?  Hakes maybe?  I assume that the majority of it at this point is in black hole collections if it was ever even made available.  

I haven't seen any original card art, but Hakes would probably be the best bet. Sometimes they have the proto types of figures. Check out this episode of comic trips Comic Trips You Tube

Lots of great Joe and Star Wars stuff.

I have a random question...I've seen a lot of pictures in this thread of figures displayed in clear plastic (lucite?) boxes--not graded figures, just on display. What exactly are these called (for searching around) and where can one get some? I'm getting some shelving soon that I want to display a couple of my G1 Transformers on, but I don't want them to collect dust, either.

52 minutes ago, Cocomonkey said:

I have a random question...I've seen a lot of pictures in this thread of figures displayed in clear plastic (lucite?) boxes--not graded figures, just on display. What exactly are these called (for searching around) and where can one get some? I'm getting some shelving soon that I want to display a couple of my G1 Transformers on, but I don't want them to collect dust, either.

"Acrylic display case" should get you several results on eBay, Google, etc. Most of these sorts of cases are acrylic. There are several companies that make them, as well as indie folks. Lots of neat stuff out there!