• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:33 PM, fantastic_four said:

Got my Marvel Select Juggernaut and Revoltech Wolverine in today

I watched a video on the Revoltech Wolverine and it looks cool, but there is a big price range difference.  There are sub-$25 versions on eBay that look like Chinese knockoffs, up to around $90 on Amazon.  I'm curious which version yours is and where you got it from.  Anybody have experience with the knockoffs for a fraction of the authentic model prices?

1 hour ago, MadripoorNights said:

I watched a video on the Revoltech Wolverine and it looks cool, but there is a big price range difference.  There are sub-$25 versions on eBay that look like Chinese knockoffs, up to around $90 on Amazon.  I'm curious which version yours is and where you got it from.  Anybody have experience with the knockoffs for a fraction of the authentic model prices?

Any of the ones you get from AmiAmi, HobbyLink Japan, or BigBadToyStore are straight from the manufacturer Kaiydo, and mine came from BigBadToyStore.  I haven't owned a knockoff, but there are videos comparing the differences between them on YouTube.  With any Chinese ripoff the differences are all related to quality; they cut corners big-time to get them out so cheaply.  With Revoltech, the paint job sucks in comparison and the joints break more easily is mostly what I've seen in the videos and heard in forums.  I'm not touching the cheap knockoffs, but the $75 price point isn't a hurdle for me and I feel like I've already gotten that value back in enjoying the figure.  If price were a hurdle I'd probably settle for the knockoffs, and there are dozens of YouTube videos of people reviewing the knockoff Revoltech figures.  I don't expect to be able to re-sell it for $75, but maybe I can, I saved my BigBadToyStore invoice as proof of where I got it from, and I'm hoping that makes full-price resale more likely down the line.  I'm not willing to go to the $200+ price point of Hot Toys though with all the knockoffs out there watering the market down.  Ignoring price, Kaiydo's quality control seems GREAT to me, so the choice between knockoff or genuine boils down to buying a car from Toyota or buying a cheap hack-job from a used car salesman who stuck a Toyota label on their attempt to copy their product.  They may look extremely similar, but they certainly won't drive the same.  :fear:

When I said that it's difficult to pose Revoltech figures, the immediate difference you notice between a Hasbro Marvel Legends and a Revoltech is that for the first hour you feel like you're going to break a Revoltech figure just by moving its limbs.  At first that makes them feel REALLY cheap, but after a while you notice that what you get in exchange for the fragility is seemingly-infinite articulation.  If I take a Marvel Legends figure and try to pose it, there are often only three or four positions where you can articulate them so that they will, for example, stand up without support.  With the larger figures like Thing and Juggernaut the weight gives them more balance, but with the female figures you constantly feel like you have to find that one spot where the balance works out and if you stray from that one position the figure will easily tip and fall.  With Revoltech, they're so amazingly articulated that you can find a balance spot for just about ANY pose within reason.  Running, leaning, jumping, crouching, or whatever, you can move the freaking thing and get it balanced in just about any way you want.  You see that picture I posted of Wolverine with his legs wrapped around Juggernaut's arm to support him for the shot?  That took me literally 3 to 4 seconds to wrap the legs around the arm.  There are so many points of articulation that it was a breeze to get both feet touching each other at the bottom of the arm, whereas with the Marvel Legends Wolverine I would have been working the limited articulation points for a minute or two, the feet probably wouldn't have met at all, and it would probably fall off four of five times before I could get the shot done.  I say that as a big fan of the Marvel Legends Wolverine figure; I own the brown classic one and I bought the yellow tiger-stripe one for my son, and I love the articulation on them.  Yet they still pale to Revoltech's amazing articulation.

In summary, what you're getting for the price is ARTICULATION ARTICULATION that's second to none, a MASTERFUL paint job that just looks more gorgeous than any Legends paint I've ever seen, and an overall attention to detail that's about midway between a Legends and a Hot Toy figure.  The con is they're fragile and the articulation points look terrible on some of them with Spider-Man being the worst I've seen.  Spider-Man also has really weird-looking hips that made me pass on it.  I'm hiding my Wolverine from my 3-year old son because I know if he did ANYTHING with it he'd break it, but I let him borrow my Marvel Legends figures all the time.

I mostly bought Wolverine because the visibility of the Revoltech joints is minimal compared to some of the others.  I will probably buy Venom and Carnage Revoltechs pictured below when they come back in stock because the details on those look absolutely nuts, best I've seen on those characters, although I'm taking a hard look at the Legends Build-a-Figure Monster Venom pictured last below (he's supposed to be the Mac Gargan aka Scorpion version of the character) as an alternative to the Venom.  The recent Legends Carnage pales in comparison to the Revoltech so I've got no internal conflict about that one.

Dd2qnVNV4AA-bG5.jpg

ML-Monster-Venom-04.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

Here's a bootleg Revoltech Wolverine review, a video showing the detailed differences between the knockoff Revoltech Spider-Man and an authentic one, and another showing the differences between the knockoff Revoltech Deadpool and an authentic one.

Recent pick ups and gifts.

Robotech Funko Reaction series

HotToys Dutch (bday gift from my brother) also came with the headset accessory 

N2 Toyz BTLC series (Xmas gift from my brother)

NECA Predator 2 Trophy Room w/ Skulls NIB (this thing is robust)

Robotech Matchbox Miyria (all red paint scheme, not as rare as the all black outfit but still pretty hard to find)

Robotech Funko Reaction series SDCC exclusives

Again, no USS Flagg.......lol

F9B23D33-E507-473A-B57E-CB0B80CB712E.jpeg

D347E954-3B14-4AFD-B1FB-0D5258F9478D.jpeg

6A74AC5A-5E3B-4575-A4F8-2F38AF633E09.jpeg

68180BA7-C3FC-4705-86CA-736614F4C318.jpeg

6979A4B6-4192-4B21-9320-10D2C96A0C93.jpeg

C47D7B5B-181D-4237-95E2-7DECBEAE4549.jpeg

Got five Japanese Obitsu stands in over the weekend.  One of them is shown in the pic below configured to stand at maximum height holding Silver Surfer up.  Also got my Marvel Legends Thing in late last week, really loving the sculpt on him.

I ordered ten knockoff Tamashii stands a few weeks ago from China at about $1.50 apiece (authentic price is about $15), but they probably won't be in from overseas for a few more weeks.  Tamashii stands are supposed to be the best flight stands, but it's possible the knockoff ones aren't strong enough to support the same types of poses.

xxSLJG9GMSnmk-3lNcwwtfc5XaCIxKGgMH_myaQb

Edited by fantastic_four

14 minutes ago, Parabellum said:
On 12/20/2018 at 5:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sweet! Merry Christmas!!

Show us what you already have!  Don’t tease, lol.

:foryou: I don't have much, I've posted before, a marvel legends iv Phoenix and marvel select deadpool. Nothing crazy, but I didn't get much in the way of 'plastic crack' as a kid lol so I live vicariously through this thread!

Lots of cool stuff! :)

1 hour ago, srezvan said:

Some fun purchases from a recent family trip to Disney World. The AT-AT is awesome. It comes with a lanyard, and the top opens up for food storage. It came with a box of popcorn it in. The legs move too.

1693222967_DisneyWorld2018.thumb.jpg.abddc646cfa952628eb997e19f66a3a4.jpg

Disney is killing it with that droid factory thing they have going.  The second best thing Hasbro did was sublicense the Build-a-Droid concept back to Disney.  The best thing?  Well that was Disney's decision to make new sculpts in scale with the Hasbro figures.  

History of the line: 

http://4lomkuss.com/h-a-n-hasbro-ad-network/disneys-droid-factory-build-a-droid-guide/

On 1/4/2019 at 10:33 PM, fantastic_four said:

Got my Marvel Select Juggernaut and Revoltech Wolverine in today.  My first impression of the Wolverine was to not like it because it really is hard to work those Revoltech joints, but once I figured it out I started having HELLA fun.  The paint and details are just SO lovely and it's by far the most posable figure I've ever owned.  I feel like you can achieve virtually any pose, although certainly learning to work those joints into the right position can be a challenge.  And WOW those claws, those claws!  Just the best I've ever seen on a Wolverine 6-inch figure.  :cloud9:  The Select Juggernaut is by far the best-looking Juggs ever made, but he's REALLY stiff, so the Marvel Legends Build-A-Figure version is more fun to use since his range of posing motion is far better.

edEgFj3m_BnpJAtO2ZEcbw5Tdjsb7U6iXGlz1QFH     f5zD1WKN6gspfi2s7rOHFv9Eq09HKIcpgC4pQj8BVMTa_OjR57YDUqTmpeQY71w_qtpjT4uJYD7KrYPOh6fxwk4kk21t-4K4K2pb0C30RnzYuRCBt5hUlEl1pPauATMJgbvuGCSXcWHeE39EQXh39U4fI0sbo_Np_G5VxZmh0wgLwndGq6w44PnmnNOIXpsuVLmPfZiImvKS4vUTwCkmKs-B6cVedY-eP6gwopDo3Qp-hvj0XsbDs6P12-kPdJ59BzrBF6jmeEy7ZaFkrhKja832M1wwIDFgpHf-I6QPFdpH8OpQpCpvLKgIyRm4fGKHqY-9_0Y3EDEjPuEzY665_lGKuAn6ysILFfo1cB5pO82JtBrpnoRkOK73Zhun028t6J3FzQzshEiLKyKnfPVNkNTA-0PSggl6XVsFG-R9fbUdzLNNnGeExTMn6ntYgjSGGOdg_OSG06ci3cdK9veHMvM0OACr4ZEB7FE2TdVGhL5ebQyXcrUkPUkjdNlV9PGc4QEEyCH2KhkKCvU6wCwRM_FI0chzUCCTUflFTanW4Xe5HTlEhe0zsR5IUavsnvEGlERwcScPvF-iXEgLfQwK4ZdPV79ze2fUsGGOfRwng9qP5Z11fJt6C3i2rQ91XUUnPQoRUR2ggK21S3amUMer8UF7FjVXmvUA-n9DapjrfkWbTqYxFafKLh_u6WSihgVtrfsBbHx4A-icA1v6sCw=w1489-h1984-no

Wow very sweet. I am gonna look into that wolverine as well. Thanks for posting. Looks awesome. Nice fastball special if thats what you were going for 

9 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

Wow very sweet. I am gonna look into that wolverine as well. Thanks for posting. Looks awesome. Nice fastball special if thats what you were going for 

Be warned--I think most fans are disappointed in Revoltech figures.  They're too fragile to play with and are designed for the greatest possible range of posing options.  You have to be very careful with them, whereas you can yank at or throw a Hasbro toy across the room and it'll be fine.  Here's a great review of them that shows a dozen or so high-quality pics of the insane poses you can achieve with the figure:

http://kumastyledesigns.com/revoltech-wolverine-review/

15-78.png

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, Parabellum said:

Show us what you already have!  Don’t tease, lol.

Deadpool is not everyone's cup a tea, but my brother was at game stop and they were having a sale that the more you added... the more percentage the discount...

He got me this for $14

20190109_123855.jpg

20190109_123833.jpg

On 1/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, fantastic_four said:

I will probably buy Venom and Carnage Revoltechs pictured below when they come back in stock because the details on those look absolutely nuts, best I've seen on those characters, although I'm taking a hard look at the Legends Build-a-Figure Monster Venom pictured last below (he's supposed to be the Mac Gargan aka Scorpion version of the character) as an alternative to the Venom.  The recent Legends Carnage pales in comparison to the Revoltech so I've got no internal conflict about that one.

I've decided against more Revoltechs for now.  I still want their Venom and Carnage more than those from Marvel Legends, but I hate having to hide Revoltechs from my 3-year old because they're so fragile.  If the kid was 7 or 8 I'd probably go Revoltech, but for now the durability of Marvel Legends makes it the best choice for sharing figures with the kid.  Probably going to pick up the entire Venom wave that came out last year pictured below since the whole set can be had for only a bit more than just the superb Mac Gargan Venom.

ML-Monster-Venom-01.jpg

Got seven new figures in yesterday, with the Marvel Legends Studios 10th anniversary Iron Man Mark 7 figure as my favorite.  The detailing and paint on it are spectacular, and the air flaps on the back are really cool, although I'm sure my son will break them before the month is up.  :pullhair:  I'm thinking about getting a Hot Toys Iron Man, and this was just a prelude to that.

Also got the entire first wave of Legends vintage figures pictured second below.  I mostly got it for the Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Black Widow, but since the full set is $60 at BigBadToyStore and I couldn't find the individual figures on eBay for less than $25-$30 apiece, it was cheaper to get them all.  Didn't think I'd like the vintage Iron Man, but I grew to like it quite a lot after opening it.  The Captain America's face sculpt is horrible, really hate that.  Punisher is meh, I hate the vintage suit.

Marvel-Legends-MCU-10th-Anniversary-Iron

Vintage-Wave-1-header.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

Really love the look of the upcoming Kingpin build-a-figure.  It's the first one I've ever seen that gets the original comic scale right, although I doubt any human could have a skeletal frame like his and weigh only 450.  He's supposed to be 6' 7" and 450 pounds, but Mark Jackson's brother Escalade was 6' 8" and 500 pounds and didn't look anywhere near that wide, and Andre the Giant was 6' 10" and 550 pounds and also didn't have limbs as wide as Kingpin's are often depicted.

nebz1xq2cjb11.jpg