• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Went to an old haunt yesterday.  Hasn't been very good for years. 

But it was a good day.  Here is one piece that I bought. 

Very nice price, very nice condition, complete, and had nice instructions. 

Been looking for one that meets my condition criteria for many moons. 

Patrick

20190114_203729.jpg

Nice find! That Whirl looks great!

There is nothing, and I mean nothing like changing out the O-Ring on a 1983 GI Joe figure only for the chest to crumble in my hands.  Maybe I need to rethink buying GI Joes... 

Almost done btw... I have around 20 figures to go until I have the exact same figures and in the exact same quantity that I had from my original collection. 

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Went to an old haunt yesterday.  Hasn't been very good for years. 

But it was a good day.  Here is one piece that I bought. 

Very nice price, very nice condition, complete, and had nice instructions. 

Been looking for one that meets my condition criteria for many moons. 

Patrick

20190114_203729.jpg

Sweet! I love Whirl, and that's a nice, clean, non-yellowing one too! 

27 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There is nothing, and I mean nothing like changing out the O-Ring on a 1983 GI Joe figure only for the chest to crumble in my hands.  Maybe I need to rethink buying GI Joes... 

Almost done btw... I have around 20 figures to go until I have the exact same figures and in the exact same quantity that I had from my original collection. 

I feel yr pain. I was putting a new ring in a Storm Shadow I'd picked up cheap this summer, and the chest just crumbled into three pieces. I could have cried. 

Good luck on your hunt!

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

That'd be great.  I wanted that figure but just wasn't attached to the costume.  The effects are pretty dumb too.  Really wish Hasbro would develop some kind of beam effect.  Even the ones that come with the Revoltech Magneto are better and seem fun in that they're actual magnets.

I hear you on the costume, it does absolutely nothing for me either. However, I can't ignore that if you look past that it's a fantastic figure, with two great headsculpts (I really want two of it so I can display both versions, something I never thought I'd want for Magneto, who isn't really a favourite of mine), and a nice assortment of accessories. The great thing about the energy effects is that they can be safely and completely ignored, with no impact on the final product. 

Put it in classic colours and you've got the best Magneto figure we've ever received, and one that won't be better for a loooong time. 

Im thinking of adding some 80s era figure based toys to my comic collection for nostalgia sake (original not repros). 

Are there good forums for 80s toys (like this forum is good for comic books) where there are also sales, or do all the sales happen on ebay?

Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformer, and He-Man, but also lesser known stuff like Starriors, MUSCLE, and so on. Going to try for MIB/MOC, but not Im not gunning for museum quality. 

What are some good places to start reading and learning and eventually buying? 

13 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Sweet! I love Whirl, and that's a nice, clean, non-yellowing one too! 

Thanks for the responses. 

It is a very nice piece.  The canopies are almost always scratched up.  And the stickers tend to be bad (might be the clear sticker and blue toy?).  

Though he's not rare, he's also not very common compared to many in the 1st few series.  

Patrick

8 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Im thinking of adding some 80s era figure based toys to my comic collection for nostalgia sake (original not repros). 

Are there good forums for 80s toys (like this forum is good for comic books) where there are also sales, or do all the sales happen on ebay?

Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformer, and He-Man, but also lesser known stuff like Starriors, MUSCLE, and so on. Going to try for MIB/MOC, but not Im not gunning for museum quality. 

What are some good places to start reading and learning and eventually buying? 

E-bay's the big one. 

I've found that a lot of the sites are not the best for buying.  YoJoe and HissTank used to be good, but I think they are kind of terrible now.  He-man.org is the same.   MIB/MOC on those sites is even worse.  I abandoned it a bit ago, but others likely know of better sources. 

CL is marginal, but you can get lucky.  A lot of people are using Facebook forums to buy. 

My dream is for an "Other" section with one of the categories being toys.  

A lot of users in this thread can likely help to.  If you have any basic questions, post and I'm sure you'll get some response. 

Patrick

16 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I hear you on the costume, it does absolutely nothing for me either. However, I can't ignore that if you look past that it's a fantastic figure, with two great headsculpts (I really want two of it so I can display both versions, something I never thought I'd want for Magneto, who isn't really a favourite of mine), and a nice assortment of accessories. The great thing about the energy effects is that they can be safely and completely ignored, with no impact on the final product. 

Put it in classic colours and you've got the best Magneto figure we've ever received, and one that won't be better for a loooong time. 

The one from 2015 meets most of your criteria.  The reason I haven't bought it is the cape, it's stiff and limits the articulation of the figure.  And without the cape he looks incomplete.  I'm not sure how they'll solve this without doing a cloth cape which they've rarely done, but they have done it before.  I've seen a number of customizers offer custom capes for Legends figures, so this figure with a custom cape is probably a rather perfect Magneto.

And maybe this one is just fine.  Magneto mostly just hovers around bending metal anyway.

2e500bb459ee2d53d104d9ec58a96437.jpg

Got a number of new Legends in this week.  First is the tiger stripe X-23 figure.  Really love the look of that one; she's down by the sentinel's right leg.

s32qdK5jHKsVf3YsTlYA9juaT8hm8dyof9sUJUF9

Edited by fantastic_four

Also got Omega Red and the entire Venom wave in yesterday.  Omega Red's cables are REALLY fun to pose with, they're curved in ways that make them really, really easy to wrap around the torso, arms, and legs of other characters in multiple configurations.  They port into his wrists VERY securely too.  I'll get a shot of what that looks like soon, but I was easily able to wrap a figure in each tentacle and suspend them in the air without falling.

Venom, Monster Venom, Carnage, and Scream are AMAZING.  I also bought a Venom Deadpool figure to use the symbiote parts to spruce up Venom.  The symbiote tendrils coming from Venom's back in the pic below came from Deadpool (they also come with the 2015 Agent Venom figure, but that one's more expensive)

Here's a size comparison of the biggest 1:12 scale Legends and Select characters I have so far with a nicely scaled 5' 4" or so Wolverine in the front and Venom in there as the mark for a normal big guy at 6' 3" and 230 pounds.  Why'd they make the Thing so tall?  Usually he's about 6' in the comics, but Hasbro made him the equivalent of about 6' 10" on the latest iteration.

rQd33aE4FpEw-hYlGoHjbY6XbodLA6u-Syz7gu9b

Edited by fantastic_four

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Another item from the weekend purchase. 

This has been on my Want List for a very long time.  Again, killer condition.

It's the Well of Souls playset from the 80s Kenner Indiana Jones series. 

The acrylic case is huge and a nice addition.  Just need to add some figures in it.  

Patrick 

20190114_203356.jpg

Wow, had no idea that existed.  Looks awesome!  :applause:  How much do those run?

Got four new figures yesterday.  Not pictured is the Legends Bullseye which looks great.  The other three are pictured below:

• Recent Wasp figure.  Liking the look of that one.
  • 2016 Sandman series black suit Spidey figure in the hands of the sentinel.
  • The 2005 Toybiz build-a-figure sentinel.  This thing is AWESOME.  Not sure which of the two sentinels I like better; I like them both a lot right now.  The one on the left is classically styled and the new BAF version is based upon Silvestri's rendering of the characters in the early 1990s.  The BAF sentinel looks far rougher and more battle-damaged, but that's intentional and I like it.  LOVE the uneven brush-stroked paint job and the visible cables running around all the joint areas.  It has two cables that port into the hands with bendy wires in them, and they're great for wrapping up a figure as is shown in the pic.  I'm showing Spidey in the sentinel's right hand in the pic, but he also easily hangs on his own while wrapped in the cable with no stability issues.  The BAF sentinel articulates much better because it has abdominal crunch to tilt the upper torso back and forward, a far greater range of motion on its arms and legs, and all five of the fingers on each hand are individually articulated.  Those articulated fingers are GREAT for helping to support a figure in then.  In all, this sentinel is the absolute best build-a-figure I'm aware of in the history of Marvel Legends, LOVE this thing.  :cloud9:

rgK-Z0ztSv_elEUXCevXHKZaSkg6diAhcndOB-Ls

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, fantastic_four said:

The one from 2015 meets most of your criteria.  The reason I haven't bought it is the cape, it's stiff and limits the articulation of the figure.  And without the cape he looks incomplete.  I'm not sure how they'll solve this without doing a cloth cape which they've rarely done, but they have done it before.  I've seen a number of customizers offer custom capes for Legends figures, so this figure with a custom cape is probably a rather perfect Magneto.

And maybe this one is just fine.  Magneto mostly just hovers around bending metal anyway.

2e500bb459ee2d53d104d9ec58a96437.jpg

I really dislike that Magneto figure. I didn't even bother to buy it, and wouldn't even want it for free. I'm happier using the old old ML3 version over that one. All my opinion of course, there's nothing technically wrong with it. 

6 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I really dislike that Magneto figure. I didn't even bother to buy it, and wouldn't even want it for free. I'm happier using the old old ML3 version over that one. All my opinion of course, there's nothing technically wrong with it. 

What about it made you dislike it?

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

What about it made you dislike it?

There's something about the face-sculpt that really throws me off. It's not 'my' Magneto, not a Magnus I recognise. I'm usually okay with that, but not here. I also don't like the body used. Combine it with that cape and things look off to me. Like I said, it's totally my opinion, as it's a perfectly fine figure.