• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,325 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Are you referring to the green boxed Solo/Luke with Chewie?  

I bet every collector has a similar story.  I have a ton of them, which sucks. 

But, it sure does make for a good story!

Patrick

This one -- the Collector "deluxe" size series. Just Han and Luke.  I picked up a jedi Luke and Ben that day too.

SW.jpg

1 hour ago, BAT MAN said:

This one -- the Collector "deluxe" size series. Just Han and Luke.  I picked up a jedi Luke and Ben that day too.

SW.jpg

lol I remember this... When I was in college I worked at the mall back then where there was  KB toys.  I gave the guy at KB my employee discount where I worked so he got sneakers and clothes and I got his KB discount and all the Star Wars toys were held for me. If I remember right, I was not allowed to get the discount on anything they had to hold for me.  But anything I walked in and picked up off the shelf I got some type of discount. 

Edited by Buzzetta

"Kylo Ren..I am going to get you with my light saber ........ OR Leave it in the box"

"Storm Troopers attack!!!!!!....  OR Leave them in the box and never touch them"

Display cabinet at the end =  ^^

Picked up the recent Hasbro Marvel Legends Human Torch, and I also bought a 2002 Toybiz Human Torch just to get the cool flame base it comes with.  It's tough to figure out how to pose the figure on the base at first, but eventually I got the hang of it and it works great.  The red also matches the Hasbro torch PERFECTLY with the same pliable translucent red throughout both the figure and the base.

The torch was the first ToyBiz Marvel Legends I've ever held.  WOW, the articulation is SO much better on Hasbro figures.  They've really taken articulation and durability to a new level.

uX4w7wvlwfIphT8rFBfL8DnKnQLQiPis1CFySihw3K_05XQKOCMLDZGjeQ2BiPDkMBut1_O_PRb4re0apKPHAHZ3ezVGWhKREu6pUo6dDRZpCd0sR0hPmb9zjc4CRMP4jcOykR9IVws=w3024-h4032-no s9DszIo1DDLF1lElQPATPlk0geQvpmVXw-UfKMaPmQ17VfTJ1C1KNGcZni3eM_3uGwvJCsQi75DRCmcf3u9nrFMtfXmNTLGzgyptXFKc18Jbj4-R-jr3SAsWy-HcpnZlWJxyMovfFBU=w3024-h4032-no

Ooh that's a perfect match! Looks like I'll have to dig mine out to display with the new Torch. 

22 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Ooh that's a perfect match! Looks like I'll have to dig mine out to display with the new Torch. 

The key I eventually found in posing is that the flames jutting off of the base fit into the peg hole in Torch's foot.  If you get that hole into a pointy flame that alone can support him.  The two flames jutting off of the base then can be positioned on either side of him to keep him straight, or they can be twisted around him to get alternate poses.  You don't even necessarily need to put a leg in the main loop designed for a leg to go in if you use the peg hole, but if you do use that as I did in the second pic he's rock solid.  I haven't tried fitting both feet peg holes into flames, but it occurred to me later to try that next time, I'm guessing it should work.

And it really is a perfect color match.  I'm amazed at how similar the translucent reds are between the figure and base from different eras.  That base matches the new Torch FAR better than it did the old one!  :cloud9:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

The Barge is coming... 

Final production images and it starts shipping in a couple of weeks. 

I still have no idea where I am putting it. 

http://rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_Official_Promo_Photograpy_Of_The_Vintage_Collection_Jabbas_Sail_Barge_182949.asp

Just read about this for the first time, missed it the times you mentioned it earlier in 2018.  You keeping it or selling it?

Is there any word on a next Haslab project yet?

Played around with Omega Red's cables last night.  They're REALLY nice, haven't had one pull out of the port yet and they wrap around other figures really nicely.  Here he is holding up Wolverine and X-23 without much problem (his legs are taped to the glass shelf).

FOfC00NuBP_6a1wTJUAHNKyWsKi-mHt04REJBA7L691LtnXIE-ss56Er9HZBQ6GzxoM4lCUuL085oZkqpt0pQg4SI1z1_ktSP8c786ttZnng9GUwlNgGI3M_zeR4B7KUI6_0ZQSQ_to=w3024-h4032-no

Really thinking towards getting some Tamashii lightning effects to wrap around Omega Red's cables to add a lot of drama to the electric charge he sends through them.  They should be nice for other figures too like Thor, Storm, Magneto, and perhaps a few others.

attachment.php?attachmentid=282682&d=143

26 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Just read about this for the first time, missed it the times you mentioned it earlier in 2018.  You keeping it or selling it?

Is there any word on a next Haslab project yet?

As of now I am keeping it but not taking it out of the box.  I will buy a long shelf and place the board across the top of a wide cabinet in my office and then put the box on top of that.  That way it will be out of the way. If I see people start paying ridiculous prices for them then I would be a fool NOT to sell it.  I saw one guy was offering a presale for it on eBay for around $1200. 

As far as what I think the next Haslab project will be?

I want to say the GI Joe Flagg but there is currently no longer any GI Joe presence at retail.  Years ago, Hasbro showed the prototype of an updated version of the ship so the design is already there.  This may change in 2020 with the release of the Snake Eyes movie though. So if they announce next month that it is the Flagg, it would ship probably in the second quarter in time for the movie. 

I would like to see something other than a Star Wars set because I want it to be Haslab and not StarWarsLab... however... Star Wars fans have got the cash to spend if they were to give it a go for the Death Star playset or a Bespin playset. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

As far as what I think the next Haslab project will be?

Given how fast the barge fundraiser reached its $2.5 million goal I'm surprised they haven't ramped it up for other projects faster.  Surely that amount covered the development costs.  There are thousands of high-end Star Wars and Marvel collectors they should be able to sell to.

After being on the edge about Hot Toys for over a year now, I think I've finally ruled out buying them for one overriding reason--I don't like the 1:6 scale.  Most statues are 1:6, and they take up SO much space.  The 1:12 scale is fine and easily allows for you to display large battles in a far more compact space.  I was looking last night at the Hot Toys Hulkbuster figure for an hour or so, and while it's an absolutely mind-blowing and incredible item, I'd really need a 4000+ square foot house and a huge man cave to display all of the Marvel heroes and villains I love if they were all at the scale of that guy, and I'm not willing to buy a new house just to display 1:6 scale figures.  It becomes particularly problematic with large characters like Hulkbuster, and it gets ridiculously untenable when you realize that Galactus or a Sentinel would have to be 3 to 4 feet at minimum and ideally 6 to 8 feet at the 1:6 scale.  The 1:12 scale just allows for far more space to better realize both average-sized and jumbo-sized heroes.

Think about an everyone versus Galactus battle at the 1:6 scale...it'd take up most of the space in any average-sized room!  That's just not practical, and I love the idea of scenes like that, so 1:12 seems far more ideal.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

So having ruled out a Hot Toys Hulkbuster for now, I think I'm going to grab the Target Hulk and Hulkbuster set.  Looks really cool, albeit not mind-blowingly cool like the Hot Toys model.  

Picked it up at lunch today, gonna pose it tonight.

One thing that occurred to me while taking Hulkbuster out of the box is that even though I largely prefer figures styled after the comics, there are characters that I'm the exact opposite on and strongly prefer the film rendering.  Iron Man is the absolute best example of that because ALL of the movie armors just blow away any artist's rendering of the armor I've ever seen.  That's mostly attributable to Industrial Lights and Magic who just knocked the armor design out of the park from the first Iron Man film onwards.  Same with Ultron, I prefer the film version.  In some cases I don't really care, or the comic and film versions are so similar that there's not much reason to care.  Spider-Man and Venom at this point are very similar on screen and on the page, although that wasn't true of the Spider-Man 3 Venom which lacked many of the best aspects of the comic version, but the Venom from the recent film looks great, although certainly he'd look better with the spider logo on his chest.

Characters I only half-like I generally tend not to care either.  I was never an Ant-Man fan, so I've now come to prefer the movie costume over the comic one.  Same with Vision, I rather prefer the film costume to the garish yellow and red comic costume.  With Scarlet Witch I prefer the comic costume.  I'm only a partial Hulk fan and like any version as long as he looks massive.  I don't really care if it's a comic Hulk, the first Hulk film, or a Mark Ruffalo Hulk, as long as he's huge he's fine with me.

Edited by fantastic_four