• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I'm hearing a lot of either/or.  

Give me all of the above.  :banana:

I have a large Star Wars collection, GI Joe collection, G1 Transformers collection, He-man collection, and more. 

Well I love ALL of it, and would love to collect them all, but I simply don't have the money or space to pursue all of the lines the way I'd like. Star Wars I was able to make a break with a long time ago, as the prequels killed my enthusiasm for the franchise, and the sheer tonnage of figures they were releasing were impossible to keep up with. So I got out. Transformers are kind of the same, in that I abhored the movies and therefore don't like the movie designs, and even with G1 and G1 inspired stuff, there was just too much released to keep up with. That being said I just bought a G1 collectoin from a friend, so I feel myself getting sucked back in. 

So, I stick with superhero stuff, and Joes. I grew up loving Star Wars, Transformers, and He-Man as well, but most of my playtime was dedicated to G.I. Joe. The best action figure series of all time, no question. Articulation, accessories, vehicles, playsets, just perfection. 

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Time to make some hard decisions.   There are few figures in there like my V2 Snake Eyes that I have had since I was a wee little guy. That is not going anywhere... along with a few moderns. 

IMG_8963.jpeg

For me it's a different reason. I've really started to come around to seeing how much area I've taken in our home for my collecting, and I thought I'd made great strides a few years ago by selling off fragments of my Star Wars and comic collections, but it's not enough. Over Christmas, I had to reorganize for a ping pong table and gaming area for the kids in the basement, and I've now started to consider putting a dryland training area for their hockey. I'll need a few hundred square feet to drop skating tiles, and properly enclose it. Decisions, decisions.

1 hour ago, MisterX said:

Saw this on another website and thought you guys might be interested --

Disclaimer: I don't know this auction house, I have nothing for sale in this auction.

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/info/id/160/

Anyone know who's selling off this massive collection?

Howard Kazanjian's collection is supposed to be part of this upcoming event auction, however they've been hitting-up a lot of people in the Star Wars collecting community for consignments going on several months now. Some great pieces for sure.

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Why do you like the clamshells?  Accessories bag in bigger bag seems like less risk of accessory loss, zero risk of accessories scratching paint, and FAR more space efficient.  Those clamshells look like a space hog and I'm having trouble seeing any advantage to them.

They are definitely a space hog but they create their own natural space for the figures which are already fragile and accessories which can also be quite fragile.  For example, let's take a look at a figure like Night Viper.  That face shield has a tendency to break by the nub where the scope attaches. But them in a little baggie inside the clamshell and it's like it is in it's own box. 

The figures even laying on top of each other can crack parts on a GI Joe figure... so clamshell storage for vintage all the way. 

BTW: Supposedly meeting up with someone tomorrow thanks to Craigslist... Zartan, Firefly and Snowjob are headed to a new home for $170 which is thankfully more than I paid as to not take a bath on shipping fees and what not. 

6 hours ago, MisterX said:

Saw this on another website and thought you guys might be interested --

Disclaimer: I don't know this auction house, I have nothing for sale in this auction.

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/info/id/160/

Anyone know who's selling off this massive collection?

Thank you!!! I have been looking for a sealed DV bop bag.

As a late 70s & early 80s kid who collected Star Wars, MOTU, Transformers, & G.I. Joe, I can say my fondest memories come from my Joes.  I would love to collect Joes MOC, but I've been aware of all the problems associated with that as detailed in the last few pages of this thread.  I won't collect taped boxes of the Joe vehicles either, as the tape seems to get really yellow and can lose it's adhesiveness.  So, I still have a little of my childhood collection and add a loose item or two once in a while, but that's about all I will do.  

Edited by Mickey7
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Mickey7 said:

As a late 70s & early 80s kid who collected Star Wars, MOTU, Transformers, & G.I. Joe, I can say my fondest memories come from my Joes.  I would love to collect Joes MOC, but I've been aware of all the problems associated with that as detailed in the last few pages of this thread.  I won't collect taped boxes of the Joe vehicles either, as the tape seems to get really yellow and can lose it's adhesiveness.  So, I still have a little of my childhood collection and add a lose item or two once in a while, but that's about all I will do.  

Yup, I like loose/complete figures, and loose complete vehicles that also have the box, which I can display behind the vehicle (if I have room). But having a vehicle mint in unopened box...that would drive me nuts. It's a toy, I wanna play with it! Who wants a box full of disconnected plastic sprues? Oh well, lots of folks, apparently. And to each their own! Everyone should collect what they like. But for me, knowing about how this stuff is going to fall apart in time, I'd rather enjoy the loose stuff while I can.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:08 AM, fantastic_four said:

This is the setup I'm considering the most, accessories bag inside a figure bag.  Where do you get your bags from?

This site has tons of sizes. 

Just make sure they are actual archival (says in the list of specs for the bag).

Also different MIL sizes, but even a smaller MIL is pretty sturdy. 

The clear aspect is pretty crazy when you compare to typical bags.  

They were quick to send out too.  

https://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags/premium

Patrick

7 hours ago, followtheleader said:
On 2/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, fantastic_four said:

This is the setup I'm considering the most, accessories bag inside a figure bag.  Where do you get your bags from?

This site has tons of sizes. 

Just make sure they are actual archival (says in the list of specs for the bag).

Also different MIL sizes, but even a smaller MIL is pretty sturdy. 

The clear aspect is pretty crazy when you compare to typical bags.  

They were quick to send out too.  

https://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags/premium

Patrick

Thanks for the link, that company looks great!  (thumbsu  A few questions:

• You said you use an accessory bag inside a larger bag.  Which bag dimensions did you buy for accessories, and what size for figures?  You said you collect Star Wars, Joe, Transformers, and He-Man, so I'm guessing you bought a smattering of different heights and widths for different figures, but I'm guessing you went with a more consistent size for accessories?
  • They seem to have a TON of bag options.  Do you recall which type you went with?  It's somewhat intimidating at first to decide which of their bags to choose from since they've got vented and unvented, zip or no zip, handle or no handle, hanging hole or no hanging hole, etc etc.
  • Any idea what type of plastic they use for their archival bags?  I looked at several bags they described as archival, but I didn't see them say what plastic they use.

This 4" by 8" zip bag with a vent hole and hanging hole looks nice, but I'm skeptical of how archival they actually are.  The reason that Bill Cole and Ernie Gerber never made ziplock comic bags is because you can't form Mylar into something like a ziplock mechanism; it's too rigid for that.  The archival alternatives to Mylar like the Barex CGC used to use for their slab inner well are similarly rigid, and I have yet to see one that can be formed into what the bag below looks like.

https://www.clearbags.com/4-x-8-crystal-clear-zip-euro-vent-hole.html

ze_v45.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Thanks for the link, that company looks great!  (thumbsu  A few questions:

• You said you use an accessory bag inside a larger bag.  Which bag dimensions did you buy for accessories, and what size for figures?  You said you collect Star Wars, Joe, Transformers, and He-Man, so I'm guessing you bought a smattering of different heights and widths for different figures, but I'm guessing you went with a more consistent size for accessories?
  • They seem to have a TON of bag options.  Do you recall which type you went with?  It's somewhat intimidating at first to decide which of their bags to choose from since they've got vented and unvented, zip or no zip, handle or no handle, hanging hole or no hanging hole, etc etc.
  • Any idea what type of plastic they use for their archival bags?  I looked at several bags they described as archival, but I didn't see them say what plastic they use.

This 4" by 8" zip bag with a vent hole and hanging hole looks nice, but I'm skeptical of how archival they actually are.  The reason that Bill Cole and Ernie Gerber never made ziplock comic bags is because you can't form Mylar into something like a ziplock mechanism; it's too rigid for that.  The archival alternatives to Mylar like the Barex CGC used to use for their slab inner well are similarly rigid, and I have yet to see one that can be formed into what the bag below looks like.

https://www.clearbags.com/4-x-8-crystal-clear-zip-euro-vent-hole.html

ze_v45.jpg

I have contacted the company to determine the veracity of archival. I'll let you know what I hear. 

If you're at all concerned, I'd definitely recommend using another outfit. 

I primary have purchased for Joe figures and accessories of any line.  As you mentioned, there is a TON of flexibility based on size.  I could offer suggestions on Joes, but it doesn't look like that's your toy interest.  A lot of it is preferential based on what you want to see. 

I definitely don't use them for Transformers and my He-man/Star Wars collection are virtually all MOC.  I should get some for my loose He-man figures as some are pricey (Wonder Bread He-man, Scareglow, Black Face Grizzlor, etc). 

Patrick

On 2/9/2019 at 1:03 AM, followtheleader said:

I primary have purchased for Joe figures and accessories of any line.  As you mentioned, there is a TON of flexibility based on size.  I could offer suggestions on Joes, but it doesn't look like that's your toy interest.  A lot of it is preferential based on what you want to see. 

What type and dimensions did you use for Joes?

Finally finished my Kingpin build-a-figure, and I recently picked up Daredevil, Bullseye, Elektra, and Typhoid Mary.  Not a big fan of most of the figures in the Kingpin wave, but I freaking love Kingpin himself.  Main complaint is that his articulation absolutely sucks...it's Marvel Select-level bad articulation.  No waist swivel, he can't bend over at all, his arms and legs don't even get to a 90 degree bend but only about 60 or 70 degrees, his ankles barely pivot because the pant bottoms get in the way, and the pose below where I have him body-slamming Spider-Man is about as dynamic as it gets with him.  But he looks absolutely amazing, and he doesn't fight much, anyway, so that alternate head is great for making him look plenty imposing behind the guys he hires who do.

4hbsb-3q0VMUdfSCxKasDQSqO6LKcbpTJR3me83BUpZ_eI-4jKhAW7Bw4Cl0NyBBNVzSbK34rmg86xMpQM-FGdLO7CLlPbIjJ0Kkh0qPil-XSY3VhyY62xL1nLxm8BiiOnQo639KlyOUHobgA_0NOFFIVe1tttC_-N7okObVMpfEY7SQVSUhKO1_tC5_EqcMFdI46CcTH-QldFE8uLDPTrhZbJe8r0Uj7fu5L_p2gbaN2mzbczD_BmtE4sV1pP5oy8K1UaasVB8BRW5phnF_fXQkMr-V9ZPzt9Za1Skp9oYYkCeEWreI69tRjZoQIj1HwPPY5bABH6lUHmOpiO_KfYy-slJjMWqMrxRx44Tv3Ng1rx0bpBSRMz1Y-qU_h_BjKRQ6q7yhalUbC2CreFX5lB_HcnxNYUuz5YIhnbW-RHsRgbq2ZZGbcM6FqOdvDsqo98cSQtwGG13UA_lopq26LadpdIPyUILtqS2Chn7T2WdN57JzP4_rVyGr7fa6D9AMQ8CMsVrIA-R8C7lKYLuS_pA4ZCfR330jEGhXrF4ldB6j_1ZTrN1zdGKQJQTyhqRcH8_xplHEEeEkWnVJj3BbKzBR_7EUDFIp3xn2DAQmaFoJFcqMJstMjbkwv60ikjQepiQtsLp379HJV0rGwR9e7nFy5DzAOCTw=w4032-h3024-no  WwvXTrPL68TtS7XFsUWEdcY_ipQRdl7q9QnpJwORDp9eG9ZYSFXN_LxJwEfYuch-4oxbrBzCRCSH_hiKzv8Te3tS1UgVaqQ5L_pAG8e4dy_fSycjnJ1ndjBNK6LVMlj0UlPx5iwsF6FRgh9nxI9Thw9WbAUyomCLhYNvOHZDphFmNMRjQmjpOEpgiFC4u6I0u0XjAaAT29b3QnrAtoS_8GeqJKvxKy-7ZBQw9jNvAR6Vbhm9s-IFkTWHoc1kYdCMcmM5hn5Cl6_5TOogxUELE0cxGnw8n9-YKdI03zMW10GfoMB_5r0dwRH6PI05SlcwUypBkhAO9C3M6nQ0ZJDQXP_mxeRbqcYNZ_9x-bt5agM4l_4QBnrZBbShmIeWjx5XJCpzjr6vv8iUxYE_FtXujYDyiZWRF9VzrSEDArXs5_CTAHhIYftyhXEp6u56zKHgZupchg-Wl7Fl8wTumLacjp5k1bDc3T5gaa6NQ547CyB_SWCljnmrC_g-CqyqvEuQXH6zN1rYdSQRZeyNgk2Uxnh0Ll3U0CXcWuV5u66zA45FlzoQWP1cBwVARzIMECFENsa2kzUuAV_-4KbYEK6CsdpLvRH1vAO5uCFKgttV5l8IbOhr508NBza4utSdocRWt8o-DxFrXoaTdjE5a5NwHeIpkWy05hYG=w4032-h3024-no

Edited by fantastic_four

The main things I hear people complain about so far with the Mafex Wolverine appearance are that the black wings off his hood are too big and flaring, and the claws are actually longer than his forearm and therefore would never actually be able to retract into that arm.  But those seem like fairly nitpicky complaints, he looks impressive overall.

The Cyclops looks solid.  Hope he comes with eye beam effects and that he fits with other 1:12 scale figures.  :wishluck:

Edited by fantastic_four

About two months ago I bought ten Tamashii Act 4 figure stands from eBay at about $1.50 apiece from a Chinese seller.  Normally the stands cost $10 to $15 apiece, so the super-low price coupled with the fact that they're coming from China is about as clear a sign they're knockoffs as is possible to have.  I figured I wasn't risking much at $15 for ten stands when I would otherwise sink that into one.  They took about a month to arrive, and I didn't get a chance to set them up fully until today...and I LOVE them!  FAR more configuration options than with the Obitsu stands, they're my new go-to stand, except that Obitsu stands do go a few inches higher off the ground, so I'll still likely use those in crowded scenes with multiple flying characters.  I've assembled six of the ten stands and haven't found any noticeable quality issues that you'd expect with knockoffs, but I don't have genuine Tamashii stands to compare them to so I wouldn't recognize the differences.

One of the best things about the stands is that you can interlock the bases together, and when they're interlocked they provide a LOT more support for each other than any single stand does.  Before today, I wasn't sure if I'd ever use the interlocking, but then something occurred to me...the support provided by multiple interlocked stands allows you to mount individual limbs on heavy characters that normally don't fit into any existing stands because their weight either tips them over or would break the plastic.  Below is an example of four knockoff Tamashii stands interlocked together with the recent Marvel Legends Thing mounted onto it with each stand holding a different limb.  Two of the stands are using two height extensions, and the front two are using all three height extensions that come with each stand.  Using three in the front and two in the back allows Thing's front to elevate higher than his back, something you normally wouldn't be able to do with Thing because he's REALLY solid and weighs about 1 to 1.5 pounds.  I've tried mounting all of my big figures on them.  Monster Venom, Thing, Legends Juggernaut, and Legends Hulk all fit fine onto four stands with absolute rock-solid stability.  The two 20" sentinels (Marvel Universe and ToyBiz Legends build-a-figure) I own were far too heavy and long to fit well without feeling like I'd break the plastic in the stands, but it was actually holding them up for about a minute, although I fear the plastic would have cracked after an hour or two.  I was able to successfully get the Legends Hulkbuster and Select Juggernaut onto all four and feel relatively sure they wouldn't collapse, but it took a LOT of fiddling and both of them weigh about two pounds each which felt too heavy with limbs that were too thick to fit well inside of the holding hooks that come with the stands.

lq_leqofaUvUe-djiSFwsrDNFkgzZmXAxhRIdIwd

Edited by fantastic_four