• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,313 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2019 at 11:03 PM, followtheleader said:

I have contacted the company to determine the veracity of archival. I'll let you know what I hear. 

If you're at all concerned, I'd definitely recommend using another outfit. 

I primary have purchased for Joe figures and accessories of any line.  As you mentioned, there is a TON of flexibility based on size.  I could offer suggestions on Joes, but it doesn't look like that's your toy interest.  A lot of it is preferential based on what you want to see. 

I definitely don't use them for Transformers and my He-man/Star Wars collection are virtually all MOC.  I should get some for my loose He-man figures as some are pricey (Wonder Bread He-man, Scareglow, Black Face Grizzlor, etc). 

Patrick

So far what I've been provided.  Guessing they are equating it with acid-free. 

"The Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) has excellent clarity, a low electrostatic charge, is acid-free, and is safe for long-term storage."

Patrick 

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

So far what I've been provided.  Guessing they are equating it with acid-free. 

"The Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) has excellent clarity, a low electrostatic charge, is acid-free, and is safe for long-term storage."

Cool, thanks for asking them!  (thumbsu  Polypropylene doesn't degrade and release its own acid that I know of--which means yes, it's acid-free--but unlike Mylar it does degrade and discolor over time, so I've always bought Mylar for comics so I don't have to eventually replace it.  However, Mylar is quite stiff, so it really doesn't seem great for something irregularly-shaped like an action figure.  And as long as you store it in good conditions, polypropylene shouldn't visibly degrade, either.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get some polypropylene bags.  Since I'm only buying one or two versions of characters I shouldn't ever need more than 100 to 200, and even replacing them eventually shouldn't be hard.  Now I just have to decide if I want vented or unvented, a separate small bag for accessories, and dimensions.  For most regular 1:12 scale figures, 5" by 8" seems ideal, but I'll need something bigger for the bigger characters, maybe 7" by 10"...need to mull it over.  What did you use for Joes, 3" by 5"?

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I think I'm going to go ahead and get some polypropylene bags.  Since I'm only buying one or two versions of characters I shouldn't ever need more than 100 to 200, and even replacing them eventually shouldn't be hard.  Now I just have to decide if I want vented or unvented, a separate small bag for accessories, and dimensions.  For most regular 1:12 scale figures, 5" by 8" seems ideal, but I'll need something bigger for the bigger characters, maybe 7" by 10"...need to mull it over.  What did you use for Joes, 3" by 5"?

After some deliberation, I think I'm going to try the following from ClearBags:

Going to skip smaller bags for accessories for now because I'm not sure yet I'd even use them, accessories will just float in the bag with the figure.  My main concern is accessories scratching the figure, but I may be overthinking that.  I'm also not even sure what size to get since different figures often come with dramatically-differently sized accessories.  For example, Marvel Select figures often come with huge bases or background scenes whereas most Hasbro figures just come with a few tiny hands, heads, or guns, so what size would I even get to cover the range of accessory possibilities?  (shrug)

More than anything else I'm looking forward to this for accessories management.  Right now I've got them all in one freezer ziplock bag, and rooting through that for the right item really sucks.  :eek:

Edited by fantastic_four

16 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Cool, thanks for asking them!  (thumbsu  Polypropylene doesn't degrade and release its own acid that I know of--which means yes, it's acid-free--but unlike Mylar it does degrade and discolor over time, so I've always bought Mylar for comics so I don't have to eventually replace it.  However, Mylar is quite stiff, so it really doesn't seem great for something irregularly-shaped like an action figure.  And as long as you store it in good conditions, polypropylene shouldn't visibly degrade, either.

I ended up using the smaller bags for accessories based on the reason you stated: to mitigate the figure being scratched.  Less worried about smaller items (like Scarlet's crossbow); more worried about huge backpacks and such. 

I have three sizes.  One for accessories, one for figures, and one for what was going to be figures with the file cards.  I went an entire different way with the file cards which is a discussion for a different day.  But that allowed bagging two figures and their accessories together.  Makes a custom two-pack in any variety you want.  

When I get a free moment, I'll have to get the dimensions.  

Patrick 

I really didn't like the first Masterpiece Bumblebee, but this new V2 looks pretty darn good. The proportions are a lot better, thanks to the chibi alt-mode, maybe a bit too thin, but certainly a vast step up. 

Anyone else in for another G1 Bumblebee? 

5 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I really didn't like the first Masterpiece Bumblebee, but this new V2 looks pretty darn good. The proportions are a lot better, thanks to the chibi alt-mode, maybe a bit too thin, but certainly a vast step up. 

Anyone else in for another G1 Bumblebee? 

I got the notification for that yesterday.  I bought both G1 versions and really like the G2 Chromed Gold version to be honest as that is more of a "Goldbug" and faithful to the actual toy. The new one seems small for $119 though.  At that price I would wait until there is a sale or once the Chinese Vendors start rolling out the knock offs.  This is a cash grab on their part and I don't know if I want to succumb to it.  They are getting a little out of hand on the MP prices in general. $450 for the latest Optimus Prime is a bit much and I believe that Bumblebee should fall more in line with the $80 price point that vehicles like him have had in the past. 

You know what Transformer I cannot wait to arrive on my doorstep?  I think that the siege of Cybertron Optimus Prime is the mass market Optimus Prime I have been waiting for. 

You're right, $120 is outrageous, especially considering Sunstreaker was that same price not that long ago, and he's obviously more complex than 'Bee, and that's before counting the additional gimmicks he had. And don't even get me started on Prime's pricing. Geez it's outrageous. 

I agree on the upcoming War For Cybertron: Siege Optimus, but I always have a soft spot for Cybertron designs (the series, that is, it's one of my favourite TF cartoons). Glad to see it get some love. 

Also, very interesting news about DST buying Gentle Giant. Wonder how that'll affect Gentle Giant's contract with Hasbro? 

The Gentle Giant/Hasbro thing is interesting, but to me, the HUGE news is McFarlane getting the DC license! How long as Mattel had that thing??? Very curious to see what he'll do. I'd expect that he'll want to go his own way rather than create a line that would mesh directly with the Four Horseman's work done on DC Universe Classics and Multiverse. And really, that's fine by me. Between those two lines, we got nearly every character I would ever care about having, and the ones they didn't get around to, well, they're never happening anyway.

Also interesting is that this seems to indicate that DCC will be officially giving up the ghost, as McFarlane will be handling all 6", 12", props, and adult collectibles for DC. That's a shame, as DC Direct really paved the way for everything that came after it. But to be fair, it's been a very long time since I cared about one of their lines.

Anyway, things are nuts. What happens when Marvel/Hasbro go to renegotiate? Could Hasbro make a play for Marvel?

As someone over on Fwoosh pointed out, this may also open the door for Funko to get a 5.5" or under line going with DC. I'd LOVE a DC line in the style of the Super 7/ReAction figures. That would really hit the sweet spot.

Interesting times for sure!

15 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The Gentle Giant/Hasbro thing is interesting

I'm not familiar with their work...have they done something particularly great?  I don't buy statues anymore, but if I did, I would want this one by them:

spidermancgstatueposter__08682.1505942361.jpg?c=2

15 hours ago, F For Fake said:

What happens when Marvel/Hasbro go to renegotiate? Could Hasbro make a play for Marvel?

Given that they've had the contract for years what do you mean by Hasbro making a play?

Hasbro is releasing a line of Marvel's 80th Anniversary figures this year, and rumor has it one of the two-packs they're releasing is Juggernaut vs. Colossus.  I've already got the build-a-figure Juggernaut, but I'm hoping they do a classic Colossus, although I'm not sure it will be better than the Diamond Select version.  It inspired me to pose Juggernaut laying Colossus out last night...MAN do I love these two figures, the details on both are just sick.  (worship)  The Deadpool 2 fight between them was fun, but I can't wait to see these guys in a Marvel Cinematic Universe film together.  :popcorn:  They did such a good job with them in Deadpool I don't expect it for a decade or more though.

T0waDE9nBqGsVtvpINLIHfvv2J2xqnHWwEV3rirE

Edited by fantastic_four

29 minutes ago, bane said:

Anyone hear about McFarland Toys picking up the DC license for 3 years after they didn't renew it with Mattel ?

Yes, I read about it from F For Fake a few posts above yours.  :baiting:

19 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The Gentle Giant/Hasbro thing is interesting, but to me, the HUGE news is McFarlane getting the DC license! How long as Mattel had that thing??? Very curious to see what he'll do. I'd expect that he'll want to go his own way rather than create a line that would mesh directly with the Four Horseman's work done on DC Universe Classics and Multiverse. And really, that's fine by me. Between those two lines, we got nearly every character I would ever care about having, and the ones they didn't get around to, well, they're never happening anyway.

Also interesting is that this seems to indicate that DCC will be officially giving up the ghost, as McFarlane will be handling all 6", 12", props, and adult collectibles for DC. That's a shame, as DC Direct really paved the way for everything that came after it. But to be fair, it's been a very long time since I cared about one of their lines.

Anyway, things are nuts. What happens when Marvel/Hasbro go to renegotiate? Could Hasbro make a play for Marvel?

As someone over on Fwoosh pointed out, this may also open the door for Funko to get a 5.5" or under line going with DC. I'd LOVE a DC line in the style of the Super 7/ReAction figures. That would really hit the sweet spot.

Interesting times for sure!

I always preferred Kenner doing Batman figures.

Should be interesting but I'm with you on the Super 7 figures, I recently picked up the MOTU 5.5" with the old 80s packaging and they are awesome.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not familiar with their work...have they done something particularly great?  I don't buy statues anymore, but if I did, I would want this one by them:

Given that they've had the contract for years what do you mean by Hasbro making a play?

Ah, that was a typo, I meant Mattel. Since Mattel is losing the DC license, could they go after the Marvel license when it comes up to renew?