• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Hasbro is releasing a line of Marvel's 80th Anniversary figures this year, and rumor has it one of the two-packs they're releasing is Juggernaut vs. Colossus.  I've already got the build-a-figure Juggernaut, but I'm hoping they do a classic Colossus, although I'm not sure it will be better than the Diamond Select version.  It inspired me to pose Juggernaut laying Colossus out last night...MAN do I love these two figures, the details on both are just sick.  (worship)  The Deadpool 2 fight between them was fun, but I can't wait to see these guys in a Marvel Cinematic Universe film together.  :popcorn:  They did such a good job with them in Deadpool I don't expect it for a decade or more though.

T0waDE9nBqGsVtvpINLIHfvv2J2xqnHWwEV3rirE

Man, it's about time we had a new "Classic" Colossus. I sold my Toy Biz one several years ago, and the recent ML figure is a modern version that I don't care for. I'd love it if they reissued the Juggernaut figure, because I also sold that one, along with that entire first X-Men wave, when I decided to get out of ML's again. Since I decided to get back into it, that first wave sold out and is selling for stupid money. So I'd love it if they reissued Juggs, Rogue and Phoenix (though Phoenix is still pretty cheap on the secondary market). I have no use for the modern figures (new versions of Havok, Iceman, Cable.) I held onto my Kitty Pryde and I got the Vintage Wolverine, so I don't need two of those. Here's hoping the vintage X-Men wave gives us some creative reissues, repaints, etc.

10 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Ah, that was a typo, I meant Mattel. Since Mattel is losing the DC license, could they go after the Marvel license when it comes up to renew? 

Oh god I hope not, I love Hasbro's work.  But I'm not familiar with Mattel's, so ultimately I have no opinion.  Who has done better work--Mattel with DC figures or Hasbro with Marvel?

22 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Man, it's about time we had a new "Classic" Colossus. I sold my Toy Biz one several years ago, and the recent ML figure is a modern version that I don't care for. I'd love it if they reissued the Juggernaut figure, because I also sold that one, along with that entire first X-Men wave, when I decided to get out of ML's again. Since I decided to get back into it, that first wave sold out and is selling for stupid money. So I'd love it if they reissued Juggs, Rogue and Phoenix (though Phoenix is still pretty cheap on the secondary market). I have no use for the modern figures (new versions of Havok, Iceman, Cable.) I held onto my Kitty Pryde and I got the Vintage Wolverine, so I don't need two of those. Here's hoping the vintage X-Men wave gives us some creative reissues, repaints, etc.

I love the Marvel Select Colossus so much I'm neutral on a Hasbro one, but if it looks good enough I'd definitely prefer Hasbro so that it's at a better scale and has better articulation.  I also want that Juggernaut Rogue, but someone on Reddit claimed that Hasbro said at the last San Diego con that they'd no longer be using the Juggernaut Rogue body again because her breasts are too big and apparently #MeToo is inspiring everyone to reawaken the Victorian Age of modesty.  :preach:  No idea if that's true or not, but they've only used it one other time, on Scream from the Venom wave.  There's a multi-page tangent about sexualization of males and females about that in a Fwoosh thread about the Toy Fair happening this weekend:

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=97951&start=270#p3236770

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Oh god I hope not, I love Hasbro's work.  But I'm not familiar with Mattel's, so ultimately I have no opinion.  Who has done better work--Mattel with DC figures or Hasbro with Marvel?

I like Marvel Legends a lot, but I think the Four Horseman did a stellar job on the DC Universe Classics line, giving us the definitive versions of the characters. The line was a perfect mix of sculpts, articulation, and character selection.  I thought Marvel Legends were lagging behind in the early Hasbro years, but they've really turned things around in the last couple of years, and are also doing great stuff. I'd like to see them stay with Marvel just for the sake of continuity. While the line survived the transition from Toy Biz to Hasbro (though the early Hasbro stuff was kind dire) it'd be nice to see them just keep rolling along.

Which makes you wonder what Mattel is going to do. They've licensed the Master of the Universe classics stuff to Super 7, they're losing the DC license, so when it comes to collector's "boys" toys, seems like they're going to be seriously hurting. 

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I love the Marvel Select Colossus so much I'm neutral on a Hasbro one, but if it looks good enough I'd definitely prefer Hasbro so that it's at a better scale and has better articulation.  I also want that Juggernaut Rogue, but someone on Reddit claimed that Hasbro said at the last San Diego con that they'd no longer be using the Juggernaut Rogue body again because her breasts are too big and apparently #MeToo is inspiring everyone to reawaken the Victorian Age of modesty.  :preach:  No idea if that's true or not, but they've only used it one other time, on Scream from the Venom wave.  There's a multi-page tangent about sexualization of males and females about that in a Fwoosh thread about the Toy Fair happening this weekend:

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=97951&start=270#p3236770

maxresdefault.jpg

That's interesting, I hadn't heard anything about that. An interesting read! I was holding off on Toy Fair before I buy her again, to see if she'd be rereleased or not. Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and buy her again.

34 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard anything about that. An interesting read! I was holding off on Toy Fair before I buy her again, to see if she'd be rereleased or not. Looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and buy her again.

I'm waiting on all X-Men characters until I hear which characters will be in the first X-Men classic wave planned for this year.  PLEASE let them put a Magneto, Nightcrawler, and Storm in there.  :wishluck:  Rogue would be nice too.

The only classic Storm figure is from Diamond Select.  It looks fantastic, but it's got that awful Diamond Select scale that makes her look 7' 2" next to 1:12 figures, and her articulation is truly awful.  Like most Select figures the articulation is typically awful, but hers is doubly awful because she can barely move her arms and legs at all due to that huge plastic cape being in the way.

stk465752.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I think the Four Horseman did a stellar job on the DC Universe Classics line, giving us the definitive versions of the characters. The line was a perfect mix of sculpts, articulation, and character selection.

I'm not much of a DC guy, but I'm interested in viewing one of these.  Which iconic character that I'd recognize did they do a great job on?

If this is them, they do look pretty good.

d092affcbe7e.JPG

Edited by fantastic_four

43 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not much of a DC guy, but I'm interested in viewing one of these.  Which iconic character that I'd recognize did they do a great job on?

If this is them, they do look pretty good.

d092affcbe7e.JPG

Well, I'm not sure who you'd recognize. One of the things I love about DCUC is that they embraced the full roster of DC characters. They did the icons, sure, but they also did the B and C listers. They gave us a complete set of Metal Men, and a Legion of Super Heroes collection. They made Deadshot, sure, but they also made BRONZE TIGER! They made a slew of New Gods! They remade all of the characters that had previously been exclusive to the Super Powers line! It was just such a thrilling assortment of characters, and the sculpts and apps were top notch at the time.

Probably not "iconic", but here are some of my faves, off the top of my head. Not my pics, just stuff I pulled off the interwebs. Most of these were "Holy carp I can't believe they made this???" selections.

ceea8487404ff33807a840df4625fdd2.jpg

41+15a+Jo9L._SX425_.jpg

be63298754c578c66ff93d8fa8c3ef2c.jpg

Wave 18 Bronze Tiger Complete.jpg

2009-Mattel-DC-Universe-Classics-Deadshot-6-Figure.jpg

vigilante_dcuc-7.jpg

DCUC Dr Fate.JPG

61X68m4CRYL._SY879_.jpg

Wave 11 The Question Complete.jpg

review_dcuc142_10.jpg

0.jpg

blue_beetle7.jpg

Only ones I recognize are Robin, Darkseid, The Question, and that pig-faced Lantern guy, who I only recognize because he was in the Ryan Reynolds GL movie.

They look great.  Is the articulation better than or about as good as Hasbro?  Looks like most of them don't have lower leg swivels like most--but not all--Hasbro figures do.  They also seem to cut the upper leg swivel right above the knee, whereas Hasbro cuts it near the top of the leg.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:58 PM, fantastic_four said:

Only ones I recognize are Robin, Darkseid, The Question, and that pig-faced Lantern guy, who I only recognize because he was in the Ryan Reynolds GL movie.

They look great.  Is the articulation better than or about as good as Hasbro?  Looks like most of them don't have lower leg swivels like most--but not all--Hasbro figures do.  They also seem to cut the upper leg swivel right above the knee, whereas Hasbro cuts it near the top of the leg.

I'd say that they're on par with Legends, are at least were at the time they were coming out. I feel like Legends have upped their sculpting game the last couple of years, and I believe they've added some articulation as well. I'm not as much of a stickler for articulation because I'm not much of a "poser" with my figures. I tend to go with bland museum style pose, and leave 'em be.

I liked DCUC more than ML at the time. I thought they had a perfect blend of sculpt and articulation. They looked great, still do. They did a nice chunk of my beloved JSA, which are for the most part, my favourite versions of most of them. Now they're a bit outdated, I guess, but I still proudly display them. I just need the upcoming Kyle Rayner, and I'm happy with what I've got. 

4 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I liked DCUC more than ML at the time. I thought they had a perfect blend of sculpt and articulation. They looked great, still do. They did a nice chunk of my beloved JSA, which are for the most part, my favourite versions of most of them. Now they're a bit outdated, I guess, but I still proudly display them. I just need the upcoming Kyle Rayner, and I'm happy with what I've got. 

Yeah, I feel like, at the time both lines were coming out, DCUC were just the better toy. The buck they used was so sturdy, just a good solid toy with good articulation, and the sculpts were the definitive toy versions of those characters. ML's felt a little thin and rubbery to me.

Nowadays, Marvel Legends have upped their game, and the toys seems solid and the sculpt and paint are dynamite. So I'd say current ML's are better than classic DCUC's, but DCUC's were easliy better than ML's at the time. And I tend to be more of a DC guy, so DCUC are one of my favorite toy lines of all time. Every wave had at least one or two '"I can't believe they made this" character in it. It was a lot of fun.

16 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, I feel like, at the time both lines were coming out, DCUC were just the better toy. The buck they used was so sturdy, just a good solid toy with good articulation, and the sculpts were the definitive toy versions of those characters. ML's felt a little thin and rubbery to me.

Nowadays, Marvel Legends have upped their game, and the toys seems solid and the sculpt and paint are dynamite. So I'd say current ML's are better than classic DCUC's, but DCUC's were easliy better than ML's at the time. And I tend to be more of a DC guy, so DCUC are one of my favorite toy lines of all time. Every wave had at least one or two '"I can't believe they made this" character in it. It was a lot of fun.

Spot on. I agree completely. 

According to ActionFigureInsider and ToyHypeUSA, Icon Heroes sent along a press release announcing their reveals at this years New York ToyFair. These include Karate Kid 6″ figures, Robotech 12″ scale statues, Golden Girls Bobbleheads, Sabrina figurines, Riverdale figurines, and Friends figurines. 

I'm looking forward to adding the Riverdale and Sabrina figures to my collection. :x

Edited by archiecomicscollector

Could one of you kind boardies point me in the direction of a good Transformers forum where AFA Graded G1 transformers are sold (if such a forum exists)? I am looking to add a few G1 bots and want to start to understand the market and hopefully find a good forum where collectors sell to each other (hopefully it exists as I love buying CGC graded books off the forum here)

9 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Could one of you kind boardies point me in the direction of a good Transformers forum where AFA Graded G1 transformers are sold (if such a forum exists)? I am looking to add a few G1 bots and want to start to understand the market and hopefully find a good forum where collectors sell to each other (hopefully it exists as I love buying CGC graded books off the forum here)

I'm fond of https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/

I've never bought and sold on there, so I can't speak to that, but otherwise it's a very active community with lovers of TF's of all eras.

If you were looking for an Optimus Prime this is the figure. I love this thing.  While not as big as a Masterpiece it feels like it has the transformation of one.  What are you getting?

• Tight transformation that may not be for kids if you want to get it just right... It took over 20 steps. 
  • No hollow spaces, no hollow limbs - everything folds around to create structure. 
  • Interesting "Cybertron" vehicle mode that looks like a futuristic truck.  
  • Inspired transformation that tucks everything away nearly. 
  • Weathered paints give a nice deco to the figure. 
  • Did I mention tight transformation? No oversized hunches or backpacks 
  • Super poseable at the ankles, feet, knees, hips waist swivel, GI Joe level arm articulation, head and neck.

I am really digging this figure. If there is anything specific you want to see on it let me know. 

IMG_9329.jpeg

IMG_9330.jpeg

IMG_9331.jpeg

IMG_9332.jpeg

@comicwiz 

Joe, sometime last year or a year and a half ago maybe you hinted at the return of the kenner molds. 

Since it is now official with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Vader and a Stormtrooper finding their ways onto shelves and online stores this year, I was wondering about your thoughts on these. 

Also, I was wondering if you think the molds for these are cast from original figures like what Gentle Giant does with the jumbo line or if they are new sculpts like they did with the 'vintage' Rocket Fett mailaway about ten years ago? 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

@comicwiz 

Joe, sometime last year or a year and a half ago maybe you hinted at the return of the kenner molds. 

Since it is now official with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Vader and a Stormtrooper finding their ways onto shelves and online stores this year, I was wondering about your thoughts on these. 

Also, I was wondering if you think the molds for these are cast from original figures like what Gentle Giant does with the jumbo line or if they are new sculpts like they did with the 'vintage' Rocket Fett mailaway about ten years ago? 

@Buzzetta I thought maybe no one had picked-up on that - who listens to me anyway ;)

Not thrilled about it. The biggest concern will be the way Hasbro has used license to "retro" as "repro." I should make it clear that I've neve been a fan of reissues, so this is all lost on me no matter what it is. But of course, people will soon be buying these, comparing weapons to discern any differences, as well as the material on the figures. It will trickle down to the community so that we hopefully will be able to be somewhat vigilant in knowing the differences between vintage and these licensed repros. While I did know this was coming, it's always difficult to process when you're seeing it unfold. I knew the community of vintage Star Wars collectors wouldn't receive this well, and so far, that voice doesn't seem to matter since the Yakface blog is reporting that they're sold out at the moment.

image.png.f608ab6f3e21cf8fbd52dc7575ac993d.png