• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,333 posts in this topic

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's definitely impressive!

I just texted one of my friends asking him to be my "barge buddy."  His response cannot be published here.

Then I sent him the picture of the instructions... 

lol 

I can't even tell a certain someone that I bought this... she will just stare at me in disbelief as I am supposed to redo the bathroom... :whistle:

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Whoa... that was annoying... 

I will put it up with a ridiculous price and a BIN - that seems to be the only way to go.  Too bad the playsets that this stuff came from were not put at the curb.  I am sure the silverware like the goblets and spoons are harder to find than the castle itself.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I don't see a lot of Playmobil love these days...  I grew up with these.  Still have my pirate ship!  Your group shot looks to have some early figures in there too!

24 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I don't see a lot of Playmobil love these days...  I grew up with these.  Still have my pirate ship!  Your group shot looks to have some early figures in there too!

Still have your pirate ship?

I am happy the toys are not being wasted, I see a lot of this stuff out by the dumpster at my place.  Caring parent thinks someone needy will pick it up and does not have the heart just to throw in the actual dumpster.  The average lifespan of a toy seems to be about 2 weeks in a kid's hands...

It still makes me wonder what your home looks like if you still hang on to your childhood toys.

My boss once told me he still has every car he ever bought including his 60's corvette he bought new.  It is on cinder blocks in his back yard with a tree growing through it, and he is a millionaire!  Some people do and some people just don't live like this.

6 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Still have your pirate ship?

I am happy the toys are not being wasted, I see a lot of this stuff out by the dumpster at my place.  Caring parent thinks someone needy will pick it up and does not have the heart just to throw in the actual dumpster.  The average lifespan of a toy seems to be about 2 weeks in a kid's hands...

It still makes me wonder what your home looks like if you still hang on to your childhood toys.

My boss once told me he still has every car he ever bought including his 60's corvette he bought new.  It is on cinder blocks in his back yard with a tree growing through it, and he is a millionaire!  Some people do and some people just don't live like this.

Up through college I had many of my childhood toys since we did not have a lot of money growing up.  I took care of them because if you didn't take care of your things my parents would not get you anything else...why waste money.

The majority of my original GI Joe and Transformers collections helped pay for books for my masters degree as well as all of the He-Man figures and whatever else was laying about. 

The Legos I never sold and if anything they were added onto over the years. 

I still have the Star Wars figures as I never sold my figures.  In fact I added onto it to complete the set. 

The ironic thing was that I placed the majority of my belongings in storage at my grandmothers house.  When she fell ill she told my parents that she wanted me to buy the house from them... Then when she passed away it made sense to buy her house since that it where all of my stuff already was. 

However I am with you that I do not like a cluttered home.  There is honestly only one comic book on display.  Lego land is in a section of the basement but that is like a train layout.  After that... I am not a big fan of clutter. 

28 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Up through college I had many of my childhood toys since we did not have a lot of money growing up.  I took care of them because if you didn't take care of your things my parents would not get you anything else...why waste money.

The majority of my original GI Joe and Transformers collections helped pay for books for my masters degree as well as all of the He-Man figures and whatever else was laying about. 

The Legos I never sold and if anything they were added onto over the years. 

I still have the Star Wars figures as I never sold my figures.  In fact I added onto it to complete the set. 

The ironic thing was that I placed the majority of my belongings in storage at my grandmothers house.  When she fell ill she told my parents that she wanted me to buy the house from them... Then when she passed away it made sense to buy her house since that it where all of my stuff already was. 

However I am with you that I do not like a cluttered home.  There is honestly only one comic book on display.  Lego land is in a section of the basement but that is like a train layout.  After that... I am not a big fan of clutter. 

I was no rich kid either (but I was happy) and I am not trying to point any fingers as to what is right and what is wrong, just making observations.  I have thrown out a lot of things in my life and a few that I wish I had kept.  As far as valuable collectibles, I don't think I ever threw anything out that couldn't be replaced with a couple days pay.  Out of the 7 cars that I have unloaded, yes probably 4 of them would still be running with minimal maintenance.  Electronics are obviously the worst.  A big screen TV used to cost 5000 bucks and weigh 500 lbs and now they are 500 bucks or less, movie lovers never had it so good.

But I am not completely without guilt as I do have about 1500 DVD's.  I cancelled my cable in 1997 and never looked back.  A couple days ago Samsung announced they stopped producing blu ray players. At 2 movies a night just how long does it take to watch 1500 lol, insanity.

By and large, 98 percent of stuff that went into the dumpster I do not miss and never will.

46 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I was no rich kid either (but I was happy) and I am not trying to point any fingers as to what is right and what is wrong, just making observations.  I have thrown out a lot of things in my life and a few that I wish I had kept.  As far as valuable collectibles, I don't think I ever threw anything out that couldn't be replaced with a couple days pay.  Out of the 7 cars that I have unloaded, yes probably 4 of them would still be running with minimal maintenance.  Electronics are obviously the worst.  A big screen TV used to cost 5000 bucks and weigh 500 lbs and now they are 500 bucks or less, movie lovers never had it so good.

But I am not completely without guilt as I do have about 1500 DVD's.  I cancelled my cable in 1997 and never looked back.  A couple days ago Samsung announced they stopped producing blu ray players. At 2 movies a night just how long does it take to watch 1500 lol, insanity.

By and large, 98 percent of stuff that went into the dumpster I do not miss and never will.

Electronics are definitely the worst of our wasteful society.  I also collect DVD and Blu-ray.  I started doing the whole digital thing (since the code was free), but recently got a notice from Ultraviolet that they were going away.  There goes to digital library!  Good thing I have the discs.

Fortunately, the Playmobil sets don't take up too much room.  They can stay out in the garage on a high shelf.  They were HEAVILY played with and wouldn't be worth too much (except sentimentally).

18 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Electronics are definitely the worst of our wasteful society.  I also collect DVD and Blu-ray.  I started doing the whole digital thing (since the code was free), but recently got a notice from Ultraviolet that they were going away.  There goes to digital library!  Good thing I have the discs.

Fortunately, the Playmobil sets don't take up too much room.  They can stay out in the garage on a high shelf.  They were HEAVILY played with and wouldn't be worth too much (except sentimentally).

If there ever comes a point in my life where I don't want to pay for internet or heck even if the internet is down I still have all these crazy DVD of every action and horror movie produced over 40 years.  Yes some of them are poor quality but still watchable.  BTW all mine were bought new.  It could be the worst decision hollywood ever made to provide nearly indestructible copies of their libraries.  I only bought the titles I was interested in though, its not like I collect 1940's movies.  It would be funny if in a few years they actually do start to disintegrate in some unknown fashion, after all they are still only plastic.

5 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

If there ever comes a point in my life where I don't want to pay for internet or heck even if the internet is down I still have all these crazy DVD of every action and horror movie produced over 40 years.  Yes some of them are poor quality but still watchable.  BTW all mine were bought new.  It could be the worst decision hollywood ever made to provide nearly indestructible copies of their libraries.  I only bought the titles I was interested in though, its not like I collect 1940's movies.  It would be funny if in a few years they actually do start to disintegrate in some unknown fashion, after all they are still only plastic.

I have a laserdisc collection.  There is a problem with some where the manufacturing process did not fully seal an edge of the disc.  Moisture (or whatever) gets in there and the disc starts to go bad.  They call it laser-rot.  I don't know if DVDs and Blurays are made the same (with two thin plastic discs sealed together over the inner "data" medium), but I imagine they will suffer the same fate as all plastics.

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Was that the show in Loveland, CO?  If so I went in the morning and was shocked that there was a lot of vintage stuff at it. I expected a bunch of new stuff. I didn’t pick up anything but my son walked out with a light saber. 

It was the Loveland show.  

It's actually more intended for the older/larger die cast vehicles and farm related toys. 

I've been going for about 15 years which is a cool constant. But it's very frequent for me to walk away with nada. 

My favorite part - I can drink a beer while buying toys at 10AM.  AHAHAHAAH.  Oddest feeling and it did happen. 

Patrick

10 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Oddly enough, they just had him in the Spidergeddon books. 

Having collected toys and comics this long, I don't know how I've not heard of this before. 

It's really was a super stretch to incorporate Spider-man with this Shogun/Transformer. 

Patrick 

Leop.jpg

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I can't even tell a certain someone that I bought this... she will just stare at me in disbelief as I am supposed to redo the bathroom... 

Will you be burying it in the backyard somewhere?  That looks like an awfully large item to hide.  Or does she pay no attention to your stuff, so when she asks "when did you get this and how much did it cost" you can just say "oh I bought that decades ago, you don't remember it?  It was about $40 when I first bought it" and get away with it?

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Apple con is in April the 14th -15th to be exact...

@Buzzetta These are last year's dates. For whatever stupid reason, he hasn't updated the website (his NYCBM one or apparently Facebook). This year's is March 9-10. (Just got my ticket earlier this week.)

https://www.bigapplecc.com/

13 hours ago, Yorick said:

My understanding is that most of your digital movies should be available through a partnered account like Vudu, etc. But I agree with the sentiment, this is precisely why I buy physical movies and don't do streaming. Unless you have the thing in your hand, you don't actually OWN it, and it can disappear at any moment, be it movie, tv show, music, etc. Plus, physical media is dirt cheap these days. It's a great time to build a film library.

27 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

My understanding is that most of your digital movies should be available through a partnered account like Vudu, etc. But I agree with the sentiment, this is precisely why I buy physical movies and don't do streaming. Unless you have the thing in your hand, you don't actually OWN it, and it can disappear at any moment, be it movie, tv show, music, etc. Plus, physical media is dirt cheap these days. It's a great time to build a film library.

I stopped buying all discs from 2012 through about 2017, but this is why I bought an XBox One in 2017.  I wanted 4K but wasn't sure I'd have all the superhero movies consistently available to me in that format over the next decade, so I'm sticking with discs for now.  I would really prefer to just stream everything because it's so much more convenient and thought back in 2012 that it would be coming any year now.  Five years later in 2017 the quality of the video and the availability of all titles I want just wasn't there yet, and it still isn't as of 2019.  Disney's upcoming streaming service may be most of what I need since they produce most of the best superhero movies, but I'm not at all sure of it yet since their commitment to 4K is so lax and lame.  Most of their movies aren't true 4K all the way through every current release, so I don't even know that their streaming service will support that resolution.  (shrug)  Also I do like some DC films and Sony still has the Spider-Man rights, so Disney won't be streaming those and I don't know of great alternative options for them that I can rely on to still be there in a decade.

Edited by fantastic_four

Movies: I do not watch much so I don't feel the need to build a film library.  However certain movies like The Dollars Trilogy, the Star Wars movies and some of the Disney movies I have bought on Blu-Ray.  With those I will wait until there is a clearance sale or I buy them used.   I have Netflix and Amazon, and I have an Apple TV that I plug in a relatives account for TV when I actually want to watch something on the premium movie channels. In return that person gets Netflix and Amazon. 

Radio: Traded my Netflix password to my friend across town for his Sirius Radio (Yo yo yo Howard!), and I have Amazon Prime music (Not the premium account though).  Presently on my computer I have over 26,000 songs.  If I actually want a song to keep at this point I either buy it on iTunes or rip it from the YouTube video and launder it through iTunes. Yes, I am a horrible person. The sun will still rise and if you complain I will go rip another one. When that process is declared to be illegal I won't do it anymore. I don't want to settle for $30,000 like my friend's husband is doing for file sharing comic books illegally.

Comic Books: I buy ASM each month. Eventually I will get another Marvel Unlimited or Comixology Account... I cannot decide which would be better. 

I am all about digital media that I can store and keep... The day's of me devoting space to media collections are long gone. 

BTW... last Disney movie I bought was Moana.  I will be damned but that movie and its music are amazing. (Lin Manuel Miranda is totally on beast mode when it comes to songwriting) 

Edited by Buzzetta
Forgot to add Shiny lol

For modern collectors--this past Friday Hasbro put up a new web site to buy toys directly from them.  Lots of figures currently in stock, lots up for pre-order, and the pictures they have of everything up there are VERY high resolution and present better than product images on any other web site that sells Hasbro toys.  They also offer free shipping if you become a "premium" member, and if you buy anything on the site between today and Friday you automatically become a premium member for the rest of the year.  I'm guessing this is where I buy all my Marvel Legends from now on.

https://hasbropulse.com/

Interestingly one of the pre-order items that I assume was announced at this past weekend's New York Toy Fair is a Return of the Jedi vehicle for $40.  They just finished the huge barge of Jabba, and this is one of the smaller skiffs that flew around the larger barge, it's the one where they were trying to shove Luke, Han, Lando, and Chewie into the Sarlacc pit from and where Luke and Boba Fett fought.  I guess they created both the huge Haslab barge and this smaller skiff at the same time.  I assume they're both in the same scale, but I'm not sure of it.

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/preorders/products/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-episode-vi-return-of-the-jedi-jabbas-tatooine-skiff-vehicle

E6060_Star_Wars_The_Vintage_Collection_Episode_VI_Return_of_The_Jedi_Jabba_s_Tatooine_Skiff_Collectible_Vehicle_5_72900c75-641c-4a14-b698-88a16adb2351_2000x.jpg?v=1550502640

Edited by fantastic_four

14 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

For modern Marvel collectors--this past Friday Hasbro put up a new web site to buy toys directly from them.  Lots of figures currently in stock, lots up for pre-order, and the pictures they have of everything up there are VERY high resolution and present better than product images on any other web site that sells Hasbro toys.  They also offer free shipping if you become a "premium" member, and if you buy anything on the site between today and Friday you automatically become a premium member for the rest of the year.  I'm guessing this is where I buy all my Marvel Legends from now on.

https://hasbropulse.com/

I hate you. 

I pre-ordered a skiff just in case.  I felt it was very fairly priced at $40 in comparison to what they originally wanted for that Rogue One Tank ($80)  On top of that, I have this feeling that they are going to limit these skiffs and gauge their order from the factory based upon presales with an overrun.  There was excitement for the tank but when it dropped at $80 everyone balked until places started clearancing them out at $29.99 - $45.99.

Hopefully the "Premium Membership" applied to preorders. 

Oh, and my favorite Marvel Legends reveals from the past weekend's Toy Fair are the Alex Ross Thor, Nightcrawler, Silver Samurai, Colossus, and the Magneto/Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver 3-pack.  I had been passing on Thor waiting for a great classic version, and this one looks like absolute perfection in every way--except perhaps scaling, he looks to be scaled at 7 feet tall in the pictures whereas the comic version is 6' 6" and Chris Hemsworth is 6' 3", waiting on the final figure to see for sure if they oversized him.  The Wolverine and Hulk combo pack looks interesting too, but I'm not buying duplicates unless reviewers tell me that one or both are better than existing versions.  The Magneto 3-pack is an Amazon exclusive that's already up for pre-order and I did pre-order that one.  The first appearance styling of Wolverine does look pretty great.  Hulk looks better than any other one I've seen, but meh, I'm not a big Hulk fan, so he'd have to be revolutionary to buy him.  He does have butterfly joints in his shoulders, and that might be enough, I'll wait for articulation video reviews to decide.  I like the look of Mr. Sinister, but I'm not familiar enough with the character yet to have attachment to him, he first appeared while I was in college and barely paying attention to comics.  There's a new Cyclops that is VERY cool because he has optic blast effects with him, but he's wearing the X-Force costume I hate so I doubt I get him.  I'm very curious if the classic Colossus will be better than the Select Colossus.  The styling and paint looks just as good, and he looks a little beefier which I like, and the articulation is almost certainly better, so I bet I end up getting him, but wow, I SO love the Select Colossus, Hasbro has to really nail it for me to move on from that version.

Marvel-80th-Anniversary-Legends-Series-Thor-Figure-oop.jpgMarvel-X-Force-Legends-Series-Nightcrawler-Figure-oop.jpgMarvel-X-Men-Retro-6-Inch-Figure-Assortment-Silver-Samurai-oop.jpgMarvel-80th-Anniversary-Legends-Series-Colossus-and-Juggernaut-2-Pack-Colossus-oop.jpgMarvel-Legends-Series-6-Inch-X-Men-Brotherhood-3-Pack-Figures-in-pck.jpgMarvel-80th-Anniversary-Legends-Series-Wolverine-and-Hulk-2-Pack-Wolverine-oop.jpgMarvel-80th-Anniversary-Legends-Series-Wolverine-and-Hulk-2-Pack-Hulk-oop.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four