• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
17 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I feel compelled to rant about Apocalypse a bit more.  :mad:  I can think of no better example of a comic book character written EXTREMELY well that is more horribly executed by the artist than Apocalypse.  Why's he got tubes connecting his arms to his legs?  Guess what--nobody knows!  The artist just stuck it in there because he thought it jazzed up the look.  OK, so he's a mutant, and his lips look weird, I can buy that.  But those lips on the character aren't organic, they're metallic.  WTF?  As far as I can tell there are NO explanations for why the original artist made these bizarre visual choices that seem to be functional yet serve no actual function.  :makepoint:

Bro... It was 1986.

Have you see what else was going on that year ?

Yep.  If I didn't know better, I'd think Rob Liefeld made all those dumb visual design decisions, but I think it was Jackson Guice who pencilled him first in X-Factor.  As you implied, it was a time when artists were making dumb character design decisions all over the place.  :ohnoez:

54 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I've heard all three come with alternate heads that aren't styled like Alex Ross, so it may not matter if you like the body sculpt and classic painting.

One other thing I saw somewhere--someone at the Toy Fair commented that the alternate Cap head looked to be styled on Sal Buscema's art for Cap from the 1970s.  I couldn't find a clear picture of it so I'm not sure myself.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yep.  If I didn't know better, I'd think Rob Liefeld made all those dumb visual design decisions, but I think it was Jackson Guice who pencilled him first in X-Factor.  As you implied, it was a time when artists were making dumb character design decisions all over the place.  :ohnoez:

Walt Simonson design, isn't it? 

6 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Walt Simonson design, isn't it? 

I thought the writer on on X-Factor #5 and #6 was Louise Simonson, penciller was Jackson Guice, and the inker was Bob McLeod.  I would assume Guice was responsible for the visual elements, but who knows how they interacted, it could have been either or both.

Edited by fantastic_four

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Picked the 10th Anniversary movie Ultron up at Best Buy today during lunch on clearance at $13; he's the one in the middle in the pic below.  Had been debating between that and the classic appearance on the Marvel Select visible on the left and just couldn't decide, so I think I might get the Select too eventually.  Ultron hops from body to body and often controls multiple drones and or versions of his main body anyway so any display can work with both.

MLisultron-14.jpg

We're the ULTRONS we do weddings functions and sometimes large gatherings such as our last gig in Sokovia were we brought the house down.:bigsmile:

49 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

People said that on Fwoosh, and then someone pointed out that the lighter-blue Cap was later in the 70s and 80s and he was darker earlier.  I don't have much preference myself.  You can see on the two scans below (or most I find via Google image search) that his outfit does look dark on Cap #1 and #100.

cap1.1112a.jpg 2576132.jpg

The Cap of my heart is BRIGHT blue, circa Secret Wars and the corresponding figure. So, like I said, I'm good with the vintage wave cap, that's the coloring I like best. Would love it if somone made a Kirby-style Cap at some point, like the Kirby New Gods figures that DC Direct made. Those were gorgeous.

Fun Fact No One Asked For: X-Factor #6 was the first X-related comic I ever read. I got it as a giveaway while trick r treating at the local zoo. I couldn't make heads or tales of it. At the time, the only comics I liked were GI Joe, Transformers, and Uncle Scrooge. The world of mutants seemed too serious and dull to me. But within a few months I was a die-hard X-men fan. Funny how that works out.

Anyway, Apocalypse has always been kinda dumb, and his power-set has never made much sense to me, but he makes for a cool figure.  

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Apocalypse has always been kinda dumb, and his power-set has never made much sense to me

Isn't it hard to make sense of them because they're extraordinarily complex due to the extreme amount of time he's spent absorbing the powers of other mutants over the millennia?

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Isn't it hard to make sense of them because they're extraordinarily complex due to the extreme amount of time he's spent absorbing the powers of other mutants over the millennia?

Perhaps! I've just never really had a handle on it. He shape shifts? He grows really tall? We rewatched X-Men Apocalypse this weekend (the wife's pick) and his power set there appeared to be evolving other mutants, which I guess he does in the comics too? I've never had a handle on it, really.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Perhaps! I've just never really had a handle on it. He shape shifts? He grows really tall? We rewatched X-Men Apocalypse this weekend (the wife's pick) and his power set there appeared to be evolving other mutants, which I guess he does in the comics too? I've never had a handle on it, really.

I seem to recall several mutants introduced around this time that had very vague powers. They were always introduced as "one of the most powerful mutants of all!" or some such. That dopey character Exodus comes to mind. He was supposed to be incredibly powerful but I have no idea what his powers are supposed to be. And if he was so powerful, where is he now?

51 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:
56 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I seem to recall several mutants introduced around this time that had very vague powers. They were always introduced as "one of the most powerful mutants of all!" or some such. That dopey character Exodus comes to mind. He was supposed to be incredibly powerful but I have no idea what his powers are supposed to be. And if he was so powerful, where is he now?

I never had a handle on Mr Sinister...

I knew he was out for DNA too, but I wasn't sure his power. I remember in the cartoon that he seemed to talk with a lisp. I do enjoy the cartoon very much though, so much that I own all the dvds.

When I got in high School I learned there was an X-Men cartoon in the 70s. I remember i used to check out dvds of it from the library and thinking thank God it wasn't all books....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

That's part of what fascinates me about him, his power set has grown so huge over the millennia that he really should be close to god-like. Love that concept, and love the ties to the dawn of human civilization, particularly ancient Egypt.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That's part of what fascinates me about him, his power set has grown so huge over the millennia that he really should be close to god-like. Love that concept, and love the ties to the dawn of human civilization, particularly ancient Egypt.

Wasn't he supposedly the 1st mutant too :foryou:

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Supposedly, but how could he know that for sure?  I assume it's just something he tells people that he doesn't know for sure.

Or he began his apocalypse then and it's hush hush, but he did a cleansing or some such jazz...

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I knew he was out for DNA too, but I wasn't sure his power. I remember in the cartoon that he seemed to talk with a lisp. I do enjoy the cartoon very much though, so much that I own all the dvds.

When I got in high School I learned there was an X-Men cartoon in the 70s. I remember i used to check out dvds of it from the library and thinking thank God it wasn't all books....

YES, Sinister is another one I never understood at all. No idea what his deal is.

I'm a simple man, I like easy to identify rogues galleries like Spidey's, Batman's and The Flash's.  "This dude has a cold gun, he's Captain Cold." "This guy dressed up like The Mad Hatter? He's The Mad Hatter."

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank you , that's a perfect example of a mutant from that era with very vague powers. I'm not sure why this guy is even a threat in the comics. He should be in the same league as Paste Pot Pete or The Eel.