• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,323 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I've never heard of trading at a toy show. 

Are you trading vendors or other participants? 

Just bring things that people might want? 

Patrick

I traded someone else I knew that was going to the show. We worked out the trade on IG and met at the show. It was my first time trading a toy. I've done comics a few times.

12 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I traded someone else I knew that was going to the show. We worked out the trade on IG and met at the show. It was my first time trading a toy. I've done comics a few times.

That makes a lot of sense. 

Done something similar where a friend has bought things for me to buy.  

Patrick

Following was also picked up with the Jetfire. 

It's in really nice shape.  Better shape than the one I bought a few years ago.  

Lever is intact and tongue works great.  

Claws are also intact and paint is solid.  

Patrick

20190224_175148.jpg

On 2/22/2019 at 4:27 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Hmm. I've already got a beautifully mint original Vehicle Voltron, but a reissue does sound nice. 

This is a new and improved version of Vehicle Voltron. The Lion version is the re-release. It was also new and improved. Both are in the Soul of Chogokin toy line.

I welcomed home the Nightforce Night Storm that I picked up from a local Joe buddy. I gave it a nice cleaning and reapplied the glow in the dark decals. My Night Shade I took apart and swapped the used parts with the unused ones so the body and canopy are nice and minty fresh.... More Nightforce coming soon :shy:

928E3D6E-AF3F-458C-A132-1E1F9D22323A.jpeg

226D263A-39F7-4D99-93BF-CF83B25D5C44.jpeg

Turns out, the Matchbox Voltron I got is the recalled Taiwan version (lead issue).

Any real concern or was this more because of children/expected play? 

I can't imagine touching it more than once a year. 

Patrick

21 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

This is a new and improved version of Vehicle Voltron. The Lion version is the re-release. It was also new and improved. Both are in the Soul of Chogokin toy line.

Welp, that makes it a definite buy. Thanks for correcting me! 

The CPSC recall on Voltron was issued primarily because these toys were directly marketed using a "children's" animated television program to sell the toys. You'd have to immerse yourself in that time period to understand how powerful the consumer laws were to "protect children" at the time, which oddly enough, was really more about protecting parents from feeling they were victims who needed to give in and buy these toys to make their kids happy. It's a ridiculous notion, but here in Canada, company's like Irwin Toys had 188 violations to an Act that was basically devised with this reasoning, and I'd imagine to a lesser degree, the same in the US.

Had these been issued today, there would be no such recall. Does this recall effect consumer trading in the vintage collectibles market? I would say you would have to have a complaint from an adult collector, who is buying these for a toddler, who in turn puts one of these lions in his mouth, but then I would sooner petition Children's Aid to step in and find out what's running through that parents brain. Of course I'm being facetious, but I guess you never know in today's world. In terms of any concern about one's health and safety in owning the toy as a mature adult, no need to worry unless you plan to lick the toy till you wear the paint thin.

The whole reissue thing in Voltron is just baffling to me. I don't mean to single anyone out, but you have the GX-71 reissue that has people in the community excited, without the concern that they are being played by a toy manufacturer. Yes, I realize there are unscrupulous people out there who have taken advantage of hiking up the price on the original release, and that may leave collectors feeling the sting of missing out, but no one is asking if there is any way to differentiate the rerelease from the original? No one seems to care, and it's not like I'm advocating for collectors needing to bow to the vintage line, but the pace and tactics of toy makers to cash in on, in any way possible, the license for the short time they are holders of it, is underwhelming to say the least, and I'd assume that adults would see it for the cash grab it is.

rantrant

On a lighter note, I thought I'd shared how I displayed those toys I got awhile back, but couldn't remember if it was here or on FB or wherever it was. So here is it is:

IMG_20190303_1119440.thumb.jpg.56e9c5ed367fc7fb9bd1569db97dba17.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 3/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I welcomed home the Nightforce Night Storm that I picked up from a local Joe buddy. I gave it a nice cleaning and reapplied the glow in the dark decals. My Night Shade I took apart and swapped the used parts with the unused ones so the body and canopy are nice and minty fresh.... More Nightforce coming soon :shy:

928E3D6E-AF3F-458C-A132-1E1F9D22323A.jpeg

226D263A-39F7-4D99-93BF-CF83B25D5C44.jpeg

I think I have that Nightforce underwater sub somewhere. I hope I didn't toss it. The original was I think one of my first G.I. Joe vehicles.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, followtheleader said:

Turns out, the Matchbox Voltron I got is the recalled Taiwan version (lead issue).

Any real concern or was this more because of children/expected play? 

I can't imagine touching it more than once a year. 

Patrick

How can you tell? I still have what I assume is the original Lion Voltron boxed up.

11 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The CPSC recall on Voltron was issued primarily because these toys were directly marketed using a "children's" animated television program to sell the toys. You'd have to immerse yourself in that time period to understand how powerful the consumer laws were to "protect children" at the time, which oddly enough, was really more about protecting parents from feeling they were victims who needed to give in and buy these toys to make their kids happy. It's a ridiculous notion, but here in Canada, company's like Irwin Toys had 188 violations to an Act that was basically devised with this reasoning, and I'd imagine to a lesser degree, the same in the US.

Had these been issued today, there would be no such recall. Does this recall effect consumer trading in the vintage collectibles market? I would say you would have to have a complaint from an adult collector, who is buying these for a toddler, who in turn puts one of these lions in his mouth, but then I would sooner petition Children's Aid to step in and find out what's running through that parents brain. Of course I'm being facetious, but I guess you never know in today's world. In terms of any concern about one's health and safety in owning the toy as a mature adult, no need to worry unless you plan to lick the toy till you wear the paint thin.

The whole reissue thing in Voltron is just baffling to me. I don't mean to single anyone out, but you have the GX-71 reissue that has people in the community excited, without the concern that they are being played by a toy manufacturer. Yes, I realize there are unscrupulous people out there who have taken advantage of hiking up the price on the original release, and that may leave collectors feeling the sting of missing out, but no one is asking if there is any way to differentiate the rerelease from the original? No one seems to care, and it's not like I'm advocating for collectors needing to bow to the vintage line, but the pace and tactics of toy makers to cash in on, in any way possible, the license for the short time they are holders of it, is underwhelming to say the least, and I'd assume that adults would see it for the cash grab it is.

rantrant

On a lighter note, I thought I'd shared how I displayed those toys I got awhile back, but couldn't remember if it was here or on FB or wherever it was. So here is it is:

IMG_20190303_1119440.thumb.jpg.56e9c5ed367fc7fb9bd1569db97dba17.jpg

I think many were thinking that they would change the color a bit on the re-release of the Lion Voltron. I guess the popularity of the original release made them just release the same toy. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a recolor though as checking the Soul of Chogokin wiki, they have released a bunch of the same robots multiple times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_of_Chogokin#Lines

Also they have a new F.A. Full Action line that will get many robots in a purer non-transformable version. I wouldn't be surprised to see Voltron in that line as well because of his popularity. And to get a good looking version of him without the visible lion legs.

Edited by GeneticNinja

3 minutes ago, PKJ said:

Sitting here hitting refresh on my email waiting for the Tracking number so I can call my Barge buddy!

lol - those are coming today? 

I will keep a lookout.  I may be keeping this thing but not opening it up for awhile.  I did preorder a $40 skiff to accompany it. 

12 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Nightforce Sub? I would be interested in seeing that. I know they have a boat (Night Ray) and hovercraft (Night Striker) @GeneticNinja

I was talking about the small ship next to the tank in your image. Perhaps I should have said flying sub. I remember purchasing the toy originally because it could float. But in the cartoon, they fly it into battle as well as underwater. I think they sit more upright in the vehicle in the cartoon.

1 minute ago, GeneticNinja said:

I was talking about the small ship next to the tank in your image. Perhaps I should have said flying sub. I remember purchasing the toy originally because it could float. But in the cartoon, they fly it into battle as well as underwater. I think they sit more upright in the vehicle in the cartoon.

Ohhh the Sharc... 

It was renamed the Night Shade under the Nightforce moniker 

2 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

To the others that ordered a sail barge, anyone received a shipping confirmation from Fed Ex yet?  Thought these were to be shipped out by the 4th of March and they want signature confirmation.  Here's to hoping Hasbro doesn't screw the pooch.  :wishluck:

I think there was a slight delay in order to box it up right.

20 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

To the others that ordered a sail barge, anyone received a shipping confirmation from Fed Ex yet?  Thought these were to be shipped out by the 4th of March and they want signature confirmation.  Here's to hoping Hasbro doesn't screw the pooch.  :wishluck:

Haven't got notification myself. 

After all the hype I think mine may be for sale the day it gets here. Was not the plan but not an emotional toy for me.