• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Somewhat... they might sell out.  Who knows?  Right now it is still on the bed in the guest room lol 

I will not be disappointed to keep it.  I just have too much going on to unpack it.  

Right now the most pissed-off group of Star Wars collectors has to be:

• The people who have bought the barge for $700 or more since it was finished
  • Anyone with a bid of more than $700 on a barge right now.

That second group has to be particularly irate and wanting to suddenly cancel their bids...SHEESH.  Why the hell didn't Hasbro tell us they'd be doing it?  I wondered it immediately after I read about it here.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Right now the most pissed-off group of Star Wars collectors has to be:

• The people who have bought the barge for $700 or more since it was finished
  • Anyone with a bid of more than $700 on a barge right now.

That second group has to be particularly irate and wanting to suddenly cancel their bids...SHEESH.  Why the hell didn't Hasbro tell us they'd be doing it?  I wondered it immediately after I read about it here.

Some people out there spent $1500-$1600 on the Khetanna on march 8th and 9th... oops (data sourced from completed sales)

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm hoping the next Haslab project is a 6-inch scale item.  What's the bigger market right now--3.75" buyers of new figures, or 6" buyers?  hm

GI Joe Flagg from GI Joe Resolute (mock up was made)

or 

Action Figure set that no one will see coming 

Edited by Buzzetta

Hmm, tried to add it to my cart and got an error that I "can not add item to cart", and then I just hit "Buy it Now" and was taken to a page saying that the seller is on vacation. I'm not actually buying one, but thought I'd add it to the cart and watchlist just to see if it sold through. Odd errors.

I think all these successful Kickstarter type projects always get retail releases afterwards. The only thing these companies are doing is attempting and successfully passing some of the early risk to consumers. Which is really bad to me. Companies should take the risk or know what people want. People shouldn't give these big companies interest free loans.

The only time I would do a Kickstarter style project is if it was a small company or the person involved was working up the ladder on a personal project. And if the project gave away a bonus that would be limited to the Kickstarter and would never make it to retail.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:26 PM, sckao said:
On 3/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, comicwiz said:

Hey everyone, shot in the dark idea, but there is seemingly enough of an interest on these boards to hold a virtual toy con (VTC). Same as the VCC held here except it would be exclusive to toys and toy related comics (i.e. transformer, shogun, mask, voltron comics, etc.). I thought I'd throw the idea out there, maybe if there's enough interest, @FlyingDonut @sckao could speak to the practicality of the idea. I would see a benefit to dealing with people on the boards, and I've got a few things I could post in a pinch if an event of this kind would happen in the future. I hosted something like this on RS back in 2012 and it was well received - the big difference is that it was only Star Wars, whereas I could see greater potential for an event that isn't focused on any one particular franchise or toy line.

I think @DeadOne is really driving the VCC these days but it seems to be a shadow of what it once was unfortunately. (Which is probably to be expected given the cyclical/entropic nature of things.) I'm sure you could use the VCC hall for that or hold it in a separate VTC hall thread at the same time as the VCC.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, followtheleader said:

I wish we had a toy VCC here.  That would be fantastic. 

Really hoping we could have a "Other" category in the CGC for things like toys and other collectibles.  Wouldn't have to be more than one thread section. 

Patrick

I would love to see sellers set up booths at the VCC that prominently featured toys.

For those unfamiliar with the VCC, or looking for more information on upcoming VCC events, check out the threads in the VCC section of the forums linked below.
The next VCC is just 2 short weeks away. (April 5-7, 2019)

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/59-virtual-comic-convention-vcc-expo-center/

20 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I think all these successful Kickstarter type projects always get retail releases afterwards. The only thing these companies are doing is attempting and successfully passing some of the early risk to consumers. Which is really bad to me. Companies should take the risk or know what people want. People shouldn't give these big companies interest free loans.

The only time I would do a Kickstarter style project is if it was a small company or the person involved was working up the ladder on a personal project. And if the project gave away a bonus that would be limited to the Kickstarter and would never make it to retail.

No... double no...

I am still waiting for my Larry Hama figure that I supported years ago.  I get an email every two months saying that there is another unforeseen delay or some new shenanigan going on.  This was from a smaller company making their own GI Joe style and sized action figures.

Hasbro said it would get it done and now hasbro got it done.  

It also seems as if the remaining barges are only going to be whatever was left over from the production run and that those will be made available to countries outside the United Stats first.  I saw the list of countries that the eBay listing will be made available to and the US was not on the list.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 3/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, DeadOne said:

I would love to see sellers set up booths at the VCC that prominently featured toys.

For those unfamiliar with the VCC, or looking for more information on upcoming VCC events, check out the threads in the VCC section of the forums linked below.
The next VCC is just 2 short weeks away. (April 5-7, 2019)

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/59-virtual-comic-convention-vcc-expo-center/

Things like a VCC would be more successful than they are if certain board rules are. 

I do not complain about these rules because they seem to work for this board and I am actually grateful for them.  I have mentioned how there are other sites where people do not post pictures or asking prices or only want PayPal friends and family.  I do not shop there.  On flip side though, I do not normally sell here unless it is a listing of items that I have not yet posted on eBay or Craigslist or something that has just ended on eBay and Craigslist and I want to shop it around here for a couple of days. 

To create a virtual booth I would have to prematurely end anything I have listed anywhere else and keep it aside for that weekend.  Something like that is not worth the opportunity cost to me.   Now, mind you, I would definitely browse and shop but I cannot help but think of how many others there are that do not post for the same reasons.  When I post something on the boards it is at my convenience and fits my personal window.  I cannot stop everything just for one weekend because of that board rule. 

Now before anyone else reading this besides DeadOne says, "But people stop everything and take their inventory with them if they were to do a real con" I will head that off by saying, "That is not true."

I've seen a certain comic company pull a book off the wall at a show because it sold online instead.  There are plenty of companies that utilize a few avenues at the same time for selling items.  Wherever the items is ordered first from though, gets the item. 

I am not arguing about the board rules in an effort to change them.  I am merely pointing out that there is a certain board rule that may be causing a lack of participation. 

The no concurrent listing rule is really more a safeguard against disorder and abuse. I once bought something through an online marketplace where I'd already sent payment, and the seller told me they unexpectedly had someone buy the item on feeBay. When I asked him to honour my deal (not knowing he had it also listed on feeBay), he told me he couldn't risk getting negative feedback on feeBay, even though my deal happened well before someone hit his BIN on feeBay. If I'm going to list something in a virtual toy comicon, I'd want it to be something I'm offering to a closed community of like-minded collectors, and not find myself competing for it, much less find myself being pushed to the sidelines because that persons standing with feeBay is more important than doing the right thing. FWIW, I also would see it as a two-three day listing opportunity that could be coordinated around listings that haven't sold, with no real lost opportunity if it means holding off on relist for a few days until the event has finished. 2c

Edited by comicwiz

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Things like a VCC would be more successful than they are if certain board rules are. 

I do not complain about these rules because they seem to work for this board and I am actually grateful for them.  I have mentioned how there are other sites where people do not post pictures or asking prices or only want PayPal friends and family.  I do not shop there.  On flip side though, I do not normally sell here unless it is a listing of items that I have not yet posted on eBay or Craigslist or something that has just ended on eBay and Craigslist and I want to shop it around here for a couple of days. 

To create a virtual booth I would have to prematurely end anything I have listed anywhere else and keep it aside for that weekend.  Something like that is not worth the opportunity cost to me.   Now, mind you, I would definitely browse and shop but I cannot help but think of how many others there are that do not post for the same reasons.  When I post something on the boards it is at my convenience and fits my personal window.  I cannot stop everything just for one weekend because of that board rule. 

Now before anyone else reading this besides DeadOne says, "But people stop everything and take their inventory with them if they were to do a real con" I will head that off by saying, "That is not true."

I've seen a certain comic company pull a book off the wall at a show because it sold online instead.  There are plenty of companies that utilize a few avenues at the same time for selling items.  Wherever the items is ordered first from though, gets the item. 

I am not arguing about the board rules in an effort to change them.  I am merely pointing out that there is a certain board rule that may be causing a lack of participation. 

It's all true.
There was definitely more of a "place" for the VCC 11 or so years ago when it first began. The marketplace on the boards was less active, there were fewer avenues available for sellers, and the boards were a much more active place with lots of trusted members selling and buying, and way less drive-by sales posted by newer members who care little for the actual community that we have here.

I've argued behind the scenes for certain rules (like the exclusivity rule) to be lifted for the VCC to no avail.
I received similar results when contacting certain "big time dealers" about participating in the VCC and I don't blame them a bit. The boards are fun, but business is business and time is most definitely money.

My affinity for the VCC is purely board nostalgia. It's one of the things that led me to this great place and I was impressed with the effort and camaraderie that it took to put it together. I was honored to be allowed by those who came before me to help continue the VCC tradition and completely understand how the boards restrictive nature and member apathy led those same people who came before me to abandon ship.

2 hours ago, DeadOne said:

It's all true.
There was definitely more of a "place" for the VCC 11 or so years ago when it first began. The marketplace on the boards was less active, there were fewer avenues available for sellers, and the boards were a much more active place with lots of trusted members selling and buying, and way less drive-by sales posted by newer members who care little for the actual community that we have here.

I've argued behind the scenes for certain rules (like the exclusivity rule) to be lifted for the VCC to no avail.
I received similar results when contacting certain "big time dealers" about participating in the VCC and I don't blame them a bit. The boards are fun, but business is business and time is most definitely money.

My affinity for the VCC is purely board nostalgia. It's one of the things that led me to this great place and I was impressed with the effort and camaraderie that it took to put it together. I was honored to be allowed by those who came before me to help continue the VCC tradition and completely understand how the boards restrictive nature and member apathy led those same people who came before me to abandon ship.

I appreciate the response and especially that my post was not seen as an attack.  An argument for the exclusivity rule being lifted specifically for the VCC might have more backing if such an argument were made publicly.  Rules change over time.  The rules for the selling part of the forum were mostly created by board members themselves, some of whom are no longer participants.   I would lean toward participation of the VCC if that one rule was lifted. 

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Think I'm going to have to get the Mafex Cyclops coming out early next year.  The sculpt, paint, and those optic blast effects look incredible.

1q2Oi4PAKw0.jpg

Tell me about this Spider-man figure. 

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Think I'm going to have to get the Mafex Cyclops coming out early next year.  The sculpt, paint, and those optic blast effects look incredible.

1q2Oi4PAKw0.jpg

I haven't picked up any Mafex figs, but I DO like the alternate Ruby Quartz Glasses look they gave him, that's one we've never had before. Very cool!

52 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Tell me about this Spider-man figure. 

Everyone's raving about the Mafex Spider-Man calling it the most articulated, sweet-looking 6" Spider-Man figure ever that yields tons of insane McFarlane-type poses with Spidey in weird body positions.  The only minuses I've heard are that it's a bit fragile and some people are breaking the joints when working it.  Not as fragile as Revoltech joints but far moreso than Legends from what I've heard.  It's sold out everywhere.

I would've snagged it, but I'm not in the market for figures my toddlers would break for now.  Maybe when they're older.  I also don't really love figures whose joints are fragile to work, I find them slightly frustrating, and it makes me less likely to want to articulate them.