• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Yeah, that seems pretty dang high. 

I went to a sale with a lot of promise last weekend. Seller wasn't up for selling early and was strict about an 8AM start (which I kind of appreciated).

As I walked up, I could see familiar faces nearly jogging to beat me to the front. 

As soon as it hit 8AM, his sale was filled with people.  Nearly every person was there for the toys. 

A couple guys were filling their arms with figures and bagged items.  Shockingly, nearly everything was sold within the 1st five minutes.  

We're talking about things like trashed out Battle Cats with no accessories for $5-10 each (way too high).  Dudes in their fifties buying small bags of mini My Little Ponies that were most likely newer than vintage.  

In the end, I drove an hour and bought absolutely nothing.  

A sharp realization that the last 3 years were not a fluke, but rather a growing interest with time.  Personally decided that I'm done with procuring in that manner. 

Patrick

I've done estate sales for a while, and they used to be a gold mine. But these last couple of years, especially since, say, last summer, it seems like people are really overpaying for stuff and driving prices up. If they were just collectors who were excited to find the stuff and have it in hand rather than buying through ebay or whatever, I could understand that. But I know a lot of these people are flea market and vendor mall sellers, and I don't see how they're going to make their money back based on what they're paying versus what I know the current market value truly is. It's true that prices are generally on the rise for all of that vintage stuff, and 80's toys have been red hot for some time, but the buying I'm seeing at these sales lately is crazily optimistic, if not just plain crazy.

Still some bargains to be found, and I love the hunt, but yeah, it's strange days for sure.

Oh, and re: your comment about the 8am start, I also appreciate it when they stick to the announced time. It's only fair. And I don't mind getting out early either, I've shown up at 4:30 and 5am to get in line for these sales. But a hard start should be a hard start.

It is different times for sure. They had a hard 9 am start and it looked like the senior olympics when that garage door went up. 

They sold all the toys within 30 minutes and as I mentioned way above market. There was one lady asking us if this or that was complete and she was picking up store way overpriced and certainly not complete.

The loose figures were the head scratcher to me though. As best I could tell at 500 for the lot  they were 10/15 each and I saw hardly any accessories. I went there thinking 200 was probably the asking for them and would have paid that easily. It certainly looked like a collector from the exact same era as me so 83-85 with a few 86 items but definitely a hard stop.

Had I not had some parts at home I would have probably not got anything but that stinger was as clean as I have seen and I have the missiles from a trashed one.

13 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

Rocket launcher Boba Fett

I think that made it on to the documentary series on Netflix, the toys that made us

It was agreed th boba fett

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

Rocket launcher Boba Fett

Thanks. Yes, that's correct. I've actually heard about the rarity of that one. I was hopping there was some obscure old toy that was impossible to find. 

47 minutes ago, creaturefan95 said:

I went to Walmart yesterday after seeing Avengers: Endgame, looking for Ebony Maw, but all that was left in the display were two Nighthawks.

I've seen that Avengers Endgame first wave in six different Walmarts, and only one of them had the Ebony Maw.  But it's available right now on Hasbro Pulse, so you can get it there.  It is by far the best figure in the wave with Hercules being second-best.

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I've seen that Avengers Endgame first wave in six different Walmarts, and only one of them had the Ebony Maw.  But it's available right now on Hasbro Pulse, so you can get it there.  It is by far the best figure in the wave with Hercules being second-best.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/90831

20 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Actually I think I like the armored Thanos a little more than Hercules.  Paint and sculpt on him are AWESOME, but the articulation sucks HORRIBLY.  No ankle pivot, and the armor severely restricts his range of motion.

I bought Maw when I saw him because I knew how popular, well done, and harder to find he is, but I haven't taken him out of the box.  I liked the voice actor playing Maw in Infinity War a lot, but the character looks really unappealing, and visual appearance is 95% of the appeal of action figures.  All of the Black Order guys look unappealing, although I do like Cull Obsidian's look.  Corvus Glaive's figure has the best cape I've ever seen on a toy, but the guy himself looks horrific--well done, just an ugly character by design.  And since they all died so fast I didn't have time to get to know them.  If I crack Maw open or buy the others I assume in three years they'll be sitting somewhere forgotten.

Edited by fantastic_four

17 hours ago, Parabellum said:

Picked these up over the past couple months.

46EBA1F0-6B50-4A94-813E-3ED40FCB6AE7.jpeg

All of that Robo stuff is sweet, but those Cyclones look FRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH and minty. Very cool stuff! I want to, like, eat them, for some reason.