• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

Think Geek has been running a moving sale promo.  I picked up a Fallout 76 Pip-Boy 2000 Construction Kit and a Plasma Pistol for 50% off.  The Fallout 76 Pip-Boy 2000 Construction Kit has sold out.

Who @STORMSHADOW_80 and @whisp

I admit that I have not been following this independent line.  What I find interesting though is that Hasbro let a few trademarked names lapse. 

I would have thought they learned their lesson after having to rename several Transformers. 

https://news.hisstank.com/2019/06/19/6-inch-kickstarter-exclusive-steel-brigade-figure-from-action-force-by-valaverse-revealed-66611

21 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Who @STORMSHADOW_80 and @whisp

I admit that I have not been following this independent line.  What I find interesting though is that Hasbro let a few trademarked names lapse. 

I would have thought they learned their lesson after having to rename several Transformers. 

https://news.hisstank.com/2019/06/19/6-inch-kickstarter-exclusive-steel-brigade-figure-from-action-force-by-valaverse-revealed-66611

Read that kick starter a couple days ago and read the update this morning about the Steel Brigade.

Been monitoring the numbers on the kickstarter.  At the rate they are going I don't think they are going to make it but watching to see.

1 minute ago, whisp said:

Read that kick starter a couple days ago and read the update this morning about the Steel Brigade.

Been monitoring the numbers on the kickstarter.  At the rate they are going I don't think they are going to make it but watching to see.

I am assuming here... 

I think you are right here and it really does not look like the kickstarter will come to fruition.  However, he has the Action Force name TM'd as well as "Steel Brigade".  There has to be some use it or lose it aspect of maintaining the trademark when it comes to this. So given the profile of the names I wonder what he is going to do with them? 

Is he the ex-Hasbro person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed who was boasting about how good his designs were versus the finished toys done by other Kickstarted lines? 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

Yeah they don't do that in the states... I cannot speak for Canadian retail though.  In the case of SDCC exclusives I wonder if you are referring to the second to last set of SDCC Joe sets such as the Flint and the Eel along with the Vamp Mark II and the Night Landing.  The SDCC version had Flint in his classic uniform while the brick and mortar TRU mass retail version had him in greyish navy blues and the detailing on the Eels was different.  When they released the Desert Duel set at SDCC it came with four figures.  When they released the same set to TRU it only came with two figures so they were not the same sets. 

While yojoe.com is a valuable resource, it is slightly misleading.  When they mention that SDCC exclusives were available for a short time they usually mean 30min to a few hours.  I remember trying to get the SDCC Flint and Night Landing and it selling out before I could check out.  

Hasbro was not releasing any vehicles though.  The club did which is very different.  If you and I wanted we could contact Hasbro and say we wanted to lease the molds for the Vamp and if we raise the cash we could decorate it with their approval and sell it here.  It is not a Hasbro proper release though as the pieces were so limited and only available to those with a membership subscription.  For example, I purchased the last club offering of Zartan and his motorcycle and that was $86 not even counting membership dues as it was a limited edition club piece.  None of these things were available at retail.  When I look at those pieces I am not viewing them as something that anyone off the street can simply walk into a store or click a button and buy.  The figures themselves used Hasbro bodies but often times the club contracted outside studios for new head sculpts.  Hasbro leased the molds to the fan club. 

Either way... I don't think we are seeing a widescale 3.75 line release with the snake eyes movie.  I am thinking a commemorative or limited assortment but not as widespread as Retaliation. I think they are going to move to the 6" scale.   Wanna place a friendly wager? Basic figure of loser's choice shipped to the winner? :D 

For a little while the SDCC Desert Duel was available at some Toys R Us stores. I was able to get the set of 4 figures that included night fox. Unfortunately the crimson strike exclusive jet set never made it to my area.

16 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Dang dude those look awesome and pics look great! @F For Fake

Thanks brother, much appreciated! It was a big project but a lot of fun!

8 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I’ve been getting a little behind online, but I’ve been chugging along with my collection. Not so much adding more pieces but working on the display. Here are some display stands I got from display stands direct and a Megatron Case from AFA. 

6” Joes? Yes please. Lol but that could be a whole new rabbit hole. Imagine if they start doing vehicles that size. And sigma 6 was weak. Although I did get a couple. If they do 6” it will have to be marvel legends quality.

I was really surprised too about the action force and steel brigade name being let go. 

259DC053-33CE-4F49-AC74-18A1484D3487.jpeg

2CC08F22-1681-4831-A2EB-0BD86585CAF0.jpeg

847EE028-C29B-463B-8F54-F88EC095046A.jpeg

Those stands are killer! I'm going to need to get one of those for my Night Raven, I hadn't seen that one yet. I've been planning on getting the Rattler stand once I get mine all cleaned up. That's my next resto project. I finally have all of the pieces, now I just need to clean it, put it together and get some new stickers.

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Those stands are killer! I'm going to need to get one of those for my Night Raven, I hadn't seen that one yet. I've been planning on getting the Rattler stand once I get mine all cleaned up. That's my next resto project. I finally have all of the pieces, now I just need to clean it, put it together and get some new stickers.

Thanks! They do free shipping on orders over $75. I need one for the rattler as well now. The rattler is such a cool iconic Cobra vehicle.

4 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Thanks! They do free shipping on orders over $75. I need one for the rattler as well now. The rattler is such a cool iconic Cobra vehicle.

Oh that's good to know, that'll help out! Yeah, the Rattler was my first vehicle and is still my favorite. I've sold a few over the years, picked up a junker for $15 at a con last summer and have been verrrrrrrry slowly picking up parts for it. Hardest was an unbroken canopy for the turret. Took forever but I finally got one. Now I just have to very carefully put it all together...

With the last Joe convention and mail call I was able to finish my Nightforce team with the modern figs I like. I added a small blacklight to my display case. Luckily I found a power supply that worked so I don’t have to drain 8 batteries. I know technically the Night Raven drone isn’t Nightforce but it was the precursor and it fits in. I thought about taking everything out for a group shot but the hovercrafts can’t be taken out without removing the shelves, so I’ll have to have a big picture day later after I finish my custom subline I’m working on.

080ADDE1-0F22-40A2-AD48-93F2E385E071.jpeg

7B95FCCD-1F51-4719-9378-B18EA5E9D46D.jpeg

1EA689BC-C791-4BCB-9F79-3E17CC51FC14.jpeg

45 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

With the last Joe convention and mail call I was able to finish my Nightforce team with the modern figs I like. I added a small blacklight to my display case. Luckily I found a power supply that worked so I don’t have to drain 8 batteries. I know technically the Night Raven drone isn’t Nightforce but it was the precursor and it fits in. I thought about taking everything out for a group shot but the hovercrafts can’t be taken out without removing the shelves, so I’ll have to have a big picture day later after I finish my custom subline I’m working on.

080ADDE1-0F22-40A2-AD48-93F2E385E071.jpeg

7B95FCCD-1F51-4719-9378-B18EA5E9D46D.jpeg

1EA689BC-C791-4BCB-9F79-3E17CC51FC14.jpeg

AW man, that is WICKED! You got me thinking I need to put Night Force on my shopping list for the Joe show next month! Terrific setup! And yes, absolutely the Raven drone fits in perfectly!

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

AW man, that is WICKED! You got me thinking I need to put Night Force on my shopping list for the Joe show next month! Terrific setup! And yes, absolutely the Raven drone fits in perfectly!

Thanks man!! Nightforce was at the top of my list but unfortunately with the exception of a couple of the original figures they were no where to be found at the convention. Ive been blessed to be able to find most of my night force vehicle collection locally.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, F For Fake said:

Ok, at long last, here's the story of the G1 collection I picked up last fall. Or just skip my rambling and check out the pics.

So, one of my oldest and dearest friends had been telling me for a while that he wanted to sell his collection, which was taking up space in the basement. It included a bunch of comics, tons of music, and his childhood collection of G1 Transformers. I started with the comics back around September or thereabouts, a few of which I bought outright, and the rest I sold for him.

In October he decided that he really wanted the rest of the stuff out of the house, as he was wanting to set up a studio and second drum kit. So, he was either going to let the toys go to his cousin for next to nothing (cousin was opening a comic shop) or I could take them. I hadn't dabbled in TF's for many years, so I wasn't sure on values. Plus, the stuff was all dumped into a couple of crates, the accessories in a big shoebox. There were a lot of broken pieces, I wasn't sure which ones were complete, and they all needed a serious cleaning, but i gave it a shot. I told him that I estimated the value between $1600 and $2000, so I'd generally pay half that, $800 to $1k. I offered the $1k, he told me he'd take $800, he just wanted them gone. So, I took them home, and he bought a nice new set of Zildjian cymbals with the money.

The crates sat  in my home office for months, completely untouched. There was a lot going on, the holidays, work, a couple of comic collections I picked up, etc. I  just knew that once I started on the project it was going to take a while, so I kept putting it off.

Fast forward to March, one of my personal traditions is that every year for the first weekend of the March madness tournament, I take off on that Friday and do nothing but watch basketball from Thursday night through Sunday night. So,  I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get some work done while my brain focused on hoops. For four days I watched basketball and sorted, ID'd and cleaned Transformers.

I started by picking out everything I planned to sell. This included:

1. Anything significantly broken.

2. Anything missing enough expensive pieces that it wouldn't be cost effective to try to complete them.

3. Any loose parts that didn't have corresponding figures.

4. Anything I just didn't care about.

The collection was initially made up of just under 100 unique figures and a bunch of parts. I ended up making about $1100 off of the random parts and pieces, which covered my initial purchase as well as the $150 or so I spent on competing the keepers, buying repro stickers, etc.

I was left with 50 some odd pieces for the personal collection. Next was the cleaning of every single piece, going through tons of baby wipes, Dawn dish detergent, Maguiars plastic polish, and an occasional touch of Molotow liquid chrome. It was slow going, but fun work.

So, here's what I've got to show for it.

I'm not good at photography, but, inspired by YouTube, I built a dirt cheap DIY lightbox, and had a lot of fun taking these pics.

There's a little bit of everything. Leaders, Seekers, near complete set of Minibots, Autobots, Bases, Combiners, Triple Changers, Headmasters and more. Although the accessories aren't pictured for the most part, all of these are now 100% complete and look terrific. I think my favorites are the Targetmaster Slugslinger, and the unusual and rare Bumblejumper.

Enjoy the pics! 

IMG_8118.JPG

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8131.JPG

IMG_8132.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG

IMG_8144.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

IMG_8151.JPG

IMG_8153.JPG

IMG_8155.JPG

IMG_8157.JPG

IMG_8159.JPG

IMG_8161.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8169.JPG

Sweeeet setup/display, and I love that lightbox background!! Well done!

I am super grateful to have finally been able to complete my run of the three generations of Irwin Toy's unproduced Voltron III Mini Lion. Can't say enough about the way things have come together in terms of me furthering my research on this neat little toy, so it only seems appropriate to share this little milestone with you guys. It is a lengthy article, but I go into all the details here to unveil it's obscure history for anyone interested in learning more about it: http://bit.ly/2IVA5WF

IMG_20190620_0907353.thumb.jpg.714aa1b8e445c00dad200472bc5a3ed0.jpg

Edited by comicwiz