• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I just can't believe how big the box is. 

Though it looks awesome, it seems like a huge waste of space. 

Probably should have been sold in robot mode. I know, they didn't sell that way. 

Might have looked better than the gun mode within the box (with the window display). 

Patrick

I said the same thing and then I realized how we have become so used to minimalistic packing these days, as boxes get smaller to take up less space on the shelf and to reduce the carbon footprint.   

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I said the same thing and then I realized how we have become so used to minimalistic packing these days, as boxes get smaller to take up less space on the shelf and to reduce the carbon footprint.   

Such a true statement. 

The whole time, my thoughts were around concern for a store's shelf space. 

But why the hell should I care about that!  AHAHAHAH.    

Patrick

14 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Such a true statement. 

The whole time, my thoughts were around concern for a store's shelf space. 

But why the hell should I care about that!  AHAHAHAH.    

Patrick

They recently said that they were going to get rid of plastic all together yet still try to do window boxes.  I have no idea how that is going to successfully happen.  I think they are experimenting lately with those Hasbro select products in the Transformers line that come in cardboard boxes that fold over like baseball card boxes with cybertronian lettering. 

Here is a pic of the Red Swoop I stoooooopidly bought.  It was a needless purchase.   I am guessing that they will cut a small enough window into that so you can see part of the figure but not large enough to remove that figure. I guess then that they will bag the accessories into a corner of the box with a paper fold to keep them from being removed unless the box is opened.  That might work here for Transformers but the Star Wars and Joe collectors will lose their collective minds if the bubble cards are phased out. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

They are really struggling with Unicron it seems.  They extended the deadline by a month once it did not reach its goal and they are at 6,871 backers with a new deadline of October 6th, which happens to be the last day of NYCC. 

mail.jpg

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I just can't believe how big the box is. 

Though it looks awesome, it seems like a huge waste of space. 

Probably should have been sold in robot mode. I know, they didn't sell that way. 

Might have looked better than the gun mode within the box (with the window display). 

Patrick

I remember being disappointed by the figure when in robot mode as its legs didn't split out and move, from what I remember. I had that and Ultra Magnus the same Xmas. I still have Ultra Magnus but I also picked up a boxed version last year at a toy fair.

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

They are really struggling with Unicron it seems.  They extended the deadline by a month once it did not reach its goal and they are at 6,871 backers with a new deadline of October 6th, which happens to be the last day of NYCC. 

mail.jpg

For me personally, too much money and just too much space to take up.

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I also wonder if, at the time, they WANTED the boxes to be bigger, to take up maximum space and make an impact on the shelf? In the 80's, I recall that the toy aisles of TRU, Target, Zayre, etc were stacked to the rafters. Just enormous stacks of these toys. The larger boxes may help the figure stand out. I dunno, just a thought. I sure do miss those days, though!

5 hours ago, bane said:

For me personally, too much money and just too much space to take up.

I bought the barge and it’s still on the bed in the spare guest room in the basement. 

to me though... I’ve said all I can... I don’t look at this as a $575 item especially since it’s not a licensed property but an in house property.

Now I want it to fail just to see how Hasbro handles it so I know what to expect moving forward.   I backed Cookie Monster and it was flat out cancelled when it didn’t meet the goal.  Unicorn didn’t meet the goal so they pushed the deadline back.  Now we are four days away to see whether they cancel it, push the deadline back further, issue it as is or raise the price to produce it for those that backed it. 

I bear no hate toward Unicron.  It’s an easy pass for me but I know it’s a priceless lifelong dream for others.  Part of me wants those that really want this to get it.  However, I really have some morbid curiosity to see how this handled by Hasbro. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

However, I really have some morbid curiosity to see how this handled by Hasbro. 

Did they ever put the Barge up for sale beyond the initial fundraising period like they indicated they would?  I never saw it if they did, so I'm guessing they changed their mind.

Just now, F For Fake said:

I also wonder if, at the time, they WANTED the boxes to be bigger, to take up maximum space and make an impact on the shelf? In the 80's, I recall that the toy aisles of TRU, Target, Zayre, etc were stacked to the rafters. Just enormous stacks of these toys. The larger boxes may help the figure stand out. I dunno, just a thought. I sure do miss those days, though!

For some lines maybe.  I could definitely see that.  I think it depended on how popular the line is and what they thought would move quickest.  I’m curious for someone to ask.  Two of the GI Joe creators are on the Facebook collecting group.  One guy I’m not a fan of and he would have the answer so maybe someone else could ask Kirk Bozigian.  

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Did they ever put the Barge up for sale beyond the initial fundraising period like they indicated they would?  I never saw it if they did, so I'm guessing they changed their mind.

I thought they were going to For the European market. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I thought they were going to For the European market. 

Oh, I either never knew that or forgot it if you pointed it out earlier this year in this thread.  Did it happen?

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Oh, I either never knew that or forgot it if you pointed it out earlier this year in this thread.  Did it happen?

No idea to be honest... I just went looking and could not find anything. 

I don't see how some digital comics will persuade anyone, regardless of them being 'out-of-print'. And ooh, it comes with an exclusive digital cover? Nice! A super-expensive jpg! 

But I guess the plan was more to get the project a few new headlines in the press, which worked. 

PS those comics weren't great when they came out, and I somehow doubt they've aged better. 

A different kind of pick up! I know I've said I'm done with modern figures, and I pretty much am, but a local Legends collection hit FB, so I cherry picked a few things. I think I may hang onto the Spiral, it's a pretty cool figure!

IMG_8991.JPG

IMG_9004.JPG

On 10/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, F For Fake said:

I think I may hang onto the Spiral, it's a pretty cool figure!

Haven't bought her yet because I figure Hasbro will be releasing a new one in either 2020 or 2021, but I like the look of it too.  Think I'll go ahead and pick one up now that you've reminded me she exists.

Edited by fantastic_four