• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,312 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Folks who overestimated the grade of their submissions, cutting their losses and trying to salvage anything at all.

So sad when a NM modern comic comes back as a 9.6 or 9.4 and has no value at all because it's not a 9.8.

It could be a couple of things:

1. Bulk submitters who are getting a group submission discount, just recouping costs

or

2. Folks who overestimated the grade of their submissions, cutting their losses and trying to salvage anything at all.

3. Market drops on a book. I just sold an X-Force 11 9.8 and it only went for $35 :whatthe:

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

That’s my collecting goal to eventually find one.  The unbroken thumb eludes me. 

Both my brother and I have our Indy figures from when we were kids and both have broken thumbs.

4 hours ago, D84 said:

Both my brother and I have our Indy figures from when we were kids and both have broken thumbs.

The thumb is super nice. 

Fortunately enough, the paint on both hands is virtually flawless.  

Crazy part is, this had to be super mass produced.  But I rarely run across them.  

Toht, Swordsman, and the Mechanic are pretty easy finds.  Others have been less so for me. 

Patrick

18 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Oh they weren't my figs.  I'm fairly confident mine are real since I bought them in the 90's.  The repros I saw were at a small show.  The dealer told me they were repro cards. I couldn't tell if they were real or not, which makes me wonder how confident people can be buying ungraded moc's (like mine).  I worry about the future value of my legit moc's.  Maybe I should sell them sooner rather than later.

I prefer buying ungraded, as do many of the people I know who collect. There are very few exceptions where I would prefer graded, and in the SW hobby in particular, you're buying into the reputation of the person selling.

21 hours ago, BrooksR said:

So it seems the consensus is that the increase in value (what it would sell for) that grading brings might not be enough to offset the cost of grading?  In my mind if it costs $40 to grade and increases value by less than $80 it's not worth it.

The economics are tough on loose figure grading, and then you'll realize after going through the rigamaroll that all you have for buyers is someone looking for an all AFA 85 run of figures, and chances are high they already have the figures you graded.

MOC's are a different story. I wouldn't recommend grading anything below 80 though, with the exception of rarer character/carded or foreign variation.

Edited by comicwiz

16 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

It is simply fantastic. I always wanted Megs. And Perceptor

Thanks man! Same here I was always jealous of my brother's Megatron growing up. This was a pretty cool find. Although I didn't get it cheap, It was a good price from a local antique mall. I always dug Preceptor as well.

I was going to list a few Lego sets on the boards.  I listed my 2010 Lego Slave 1 and that sold this morning. 

I was also going to list this... but upon opening the bag I realized that the foundation would make an excellent MOC... do you see what I see? 

IMG_5182.jpeg

IMG_5183.jpeg

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I was going to list a few Lego sets on the boards.  I listed my 2010 Lego Slave 1 and that sold this morning. 

I was also going to list this... but upon opening the bag I realized that the foundation would make an excellent MOC... do you see what I see? 

IMG_5182.jpeg

I was an underbidder on this set a few days back on the feebay.  If I had won, it would have ended the lego famine in my collection that has lasted perhaps 20 years.  Back in the day, my older brother got the space mono-rail set (1987?!).  I get to jealously look at that awesome box up on the garage shelf.

I collect Supergirl action figures, and I recently received the new Hiya Toys Injustice 2 Supergirl.  Just a head's up for anyone else who might be interested in it, it appears that her "happy" face has been cast poorly.  I have only seen a few of these so-far, but each one has a "dent/ding" right on the tip of her nose.  I think you'll be able to see it in the picture below.

100_1046.JPG

Went out with my wife and her sister on Saturday.  During that short time, a GI Joe collection came up. 

Contacted the owner and didn't hear back until Sunday.  That length of time is usually never good in this hot atmosphere. 

Sure enough, someone else was already coming to get it.  I chatted with the owner a bit throughout the day. 

Around 2PM, the owner says to come get it as the other buying party wasn't responding.  Raced to get it and back due to family plans. 

Was a bit of spectacle to behold.  The vehicles were true played with beaters with the exception of one beauty.  But we'll get back to that another time. 

Included a box full of figures.  Not the greatest selection, but couldn't complain. 

But the final portion was a gigantic trashbag (literally) full of piece parts. A million GI Joe parts, some Transformers, some He-man, some Dino Riders, and some that I have no idea about.  Also included a good chunk of old military plastic figures and vehicles.  Some plastic horses and fences, astronauts, and other odd guys.  I bought in the hopes that some are Marx figures I need for Navaronne/Iwo Jima.  This bag was super heavy.  Both a dream and a nightmare at the same time.  

So I need a little help/guidance.  Is there any way to tell the age and/or maker of the plastic military guys?  I can post a pic later if that helps.  

Overall, pretty happy.  Lot was darn cheap.  

Patrick

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

Went out with my wife and her sister on Saturday.  During that short time, a GI Joe collection came up. 

Contacted the owner and didn't hear back until Sunday.  That length of time is usually never good in this hot atmosphere. 

Sure enough, someone else was already coming to get it.  I chatted with the owner a bit throughout the day. 

Around 2PM, the owner says to come get it as the other buying party wasn't responding.  Raced to get it and back due to family plans. 

Was a bit of spectacle to behold.  The vehicles were true played with beaters with the exception of one beauty.  But we'll get back to that another time. 

Included a box full of figures.  Not the greatest selection, but couldn't complain. 

But the final portion was a gigantic trashbag (literally) full of piece parts. A million GI Joe parts, some Transformers, some He-man, some Dino Riders, and some that I have no idea about.  Also included a good chunk of old military plastic figures and vehicles.  Some plastic horses and fences, astronauts, and other odd guys.  I bought in the hopes that some are Marx figures I need for Navaronne/Iwo Jima.  This bag was super heavy.  Both a dream and a nightmare at the same time.  

So I need a little help/guidance.  Is there any way to tell the age and/or maker of the plastic military guys?  I can post a pic later if that helps.  

Overall, pretty happy.  Lot was darn cheap.  

Patrick

Congrats, Patrick! I wouldn't be much help with the army men, but that is fantastic news about the parts and pieces. That's really where the money is with vintage figures, so many of those little parts didn't survive. I bought a big lot of weapons and backpacks a few months ago, kept the stuff I needed to complete my figures, and did very well selling the rest off. Plus, it was a lot of fun to sort through! Then again, I'm a weirdo who enjoys stuff like that.

Congrats, Patrick! I wouldn't be much help with the army men, but that is fantastic news about the parts and pieces. That's really where the money is with vintage figures, so many of those little parts didn't survive. I bought a big lot of weapons and backpacks a few months ago, kept the stuff I needed to complete my figures, and did very well selling the rest off. Plus, it was a lot of fun to sort through! Then again, I'm a weirdo who enjoys stuff like that.

Thanks, appreciated.  

I enjoy it too, purchased many of them. 

This one is a little different beast.  You can often use reason by removing accessories for vehicles/figures that you were provided.  But the accessories go far beyond those provided.  

I'm starting to see that a lot of these are from Marx sets.  Doesn't look like many are actually marked Marx on the bottom.  Almost threw one of the copters away as it didn't look Marx-ish enough.  I'll post some pics later.  

Patrick