• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,325 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

One of the glorious finds from the collection I bought a few weeks back. 

Real dusty. 

Pretty complete including the 2 chairs and cockpit cover. 

One of my favs.  May be one of the few that I pose on a stand in a room when we finally move. 

Patrick

20200111_174423.jpg

20200111_174428.jpg

That’s awesome! I actually got that for Christmas as kid, gulp, 30 years ago...

Of only I knew then what I knew now. I played with it until it broke.

11 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Lately I have given more serious thought to putting my own collecting goals to a halt for the time being. Maybe even paring down and keeping a few things I love, or collected for them, and will look to find a new home for the rest. I'm just not sure that I have the same passion for it that I once did.

Lean in. Buy fun cheaper toys, or don't. Let things marinate, sell... Follow the kids. Collecting ebbs and flows. Life gets in the way and it's healthy to think about an exit strategy. I knew you as an underground comix guy before I ever learned about your passion for Star Wars or preproduction figures.

And it is an end of an era for SW... 42 years is a long time. I know I'm ready. 

But also... You're a collector. :foryou: Justin

2 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

First off, congratulations. What a display.

Second, is that a Christopher Reeve Superman statue on the top left?

Thanks, and yes... from Iron Studios.  Just got it last week.  I posted better pictures of it here in the statues thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/304405-statue-collections/?do=findComment&comment=10996726

On 1/11/2020 at 10:55 AM, comicwiz said:

My youngest who is 8 now has been going back and forth on a few things. He was big in to LEGO, so I think that was one of his earliest interests. Then a few months back, wanted to collect hockey cards when Tim Hortons ran a promotion. We had a great deal of fun with that, as we attended two card trading events held at Tim's, and the adults in the room were initially seeming to be a disappointment (you know, the kind that want to give you a common card for something rare or more valuable, and are doing it because they're trading with a kid), but then a big turnaround occurred when a few of them saw a few hand drawn cards he drew for more difficult cards he wasn't able to find, and those guys decided to pull out all stops to fill my sons binder. He's finished the set minus a few of the harder ones (and ridiculously expensive in my opinion for something that was just issued a few months ago). There have been a few in-between purchases like the Plamobil hockey sets and advent box which he has displayed in his room. Anyhow, I had already started to hibernate the Batman prototype collecting, and a few Star Wars toys I had collected with him.

Then The Mandalorian happened and he suddenly began asking a million questions about characters, and OT Star Wars plot lines, and a few days after we watched The Rise of Skywalker, he spotted a Finn toy figure in one of the stores and the flood gates opened. lol

Next thing I know, I'm running around the town looking for what we could find, which wasn't much. A lot of the stores we found these had a dozen of the same figure, so it started becoming apparent that some of these were going to be harder to find than others. After finding the Finn, Luke, Rey, Kylo Ren and Rose, he walks over to me and says "hey can I have that display you have?" Which I thought was neat because I had snagged that from a store (I can't remember which one) and had planned on using for some diecasts (a collecting focus of mine). It saved me from having to put together a cabinet for his room which would probably end-up with a cracked glass or worse. So I redressed the header with some TROS graphics and the result is below. The nice thing about these floor merchandisers is they take up very little room, so we were able to find a spot for it in his room.

The last week, I've been trying to find as many of these locally. I know practically nothing about modern lines, but I think we started this line a little too late. The Toys R Us here are a vacant lot in general, and Walmart is not even worth trying for this kind of thing. I managed to get these all at $4 each, and I think we're up to 11 of the 24. With the exception of Yoda, Leia, C-3P0 and R2 which we don't yet have, I don't really care for the rest we weren't able to find from this line.

I'm kind of kidding a bit, because maybe there's a hint of truth in it, but I collected a lot of stuff, sometimes for them, and/or with them in mind. Lately I have given more serious thought to putting my own collecting goals to a halt for the time being. Maybe even paring down and keeping a few things I love, or collected for them, and will look to find a new home for the rest. I'm just not sure that I have the same passion for it that I once did.

FL-SW-figures.jpg

Where did you get the display?

On 1/10/2020 at 11:28 PM, fmaz said:

Finished the year by allowing myself one last (ok two last) indulgences ... vintage Cap and Batman mego figures.  The Cap is 100% vintage, the Batman I needed to purchase repro gloves and a new sticker... but I was ok with that.  Finding one with a vintage cape was really the key for me.  The boxes are repro too, I just love presenting them that way.  As you can see from the final photo, I’ve purchased the same repro boxes and hard plastic cases for all four of my vintage figures, and I really love how it makes them look!

I COULD potentially fit two more up there with those guys...and I do have a great deal of fondness for the Iron Man figure, but I’m not sure who I’d chose for figure #6, so I might just stick with these four who were always my favorites growing up.

DA8CD0FD-2B48-45EE-938A-E308B5C885FC.thumb.jpeg.945c76d29343f4d972af076cccab4945.jpeg

F4F0A7EC-66FF-4AEA-8BF4-E2AA4680575C.thumb.jpeg.2b02ea2d87f80fed41d4dbcf79e4b7e6.jpeg

D4A7DBC9-8A64-43E0-B523-EB087DDAF275.thumb.jpeg.d37b1957b2226c4699a61e8f9b672b7f.jpeg

06C59F41-F0B8-4BCE-B584-39026BA9AE2E.thumb.jpeg.17e500115fb23ae452cb079fd78c515c.jpeg

Awesome! Love it! I love Mego, but I sold all of mine last year. I had to re-focus my collecting, and I wasn't as invested in Mego as I am other lines, so I cut them loose. But man are those ever cool!

So I know I've said that I'm done with new toys and just want to focus on vintage, but I'm also a weak-willed hypocrite, so here we go.

To begin, I don't know why these exist. There is no current media tie-in, Aliens haven't been popular for a while. But for some reason, Lanard (they who gave us "The Corps" among other cheap, chunky toy lines) have a new Aliens toy line exclusive to WalMart, and they are BONKERS.

I hated the Kenner Aliens toys as a kid/teen, because all I wanted (and I wanted it bad) was a line of realistic toys based on Aliens, Alien, the Colonial Marines,etc. The Kenner line, with its dumb animal hybrids and bright colors, turned me off. Hated em. 

But now, as an older man, my heart has softened,I guess, because I has to have every one of these bizarre neon abominations!

The APC is SO CUTE! And look at the Power Loader, and the gun turrets, and fhe variety of neon aliens! WHY DO THESE EXIST? Will kids warm up to a 30+ year old IP with no current cultural cachet? Will old men like me warm to these were kiddified versions of their R-Rated action fantasies?

I don't have the answers, but here they are, and if they keep making them, I'll keep buying them .

And they're cheap! $10 for the playsets, $15 for the vehicle sets, and $20 for that enormous Queen!

IMG_9438.JPG

IMG_9439.JPG

IMG_9440.JPG

IMG_9441.JPG

IMG_9442.JPG

IMG_9443.JPG

@F For Fake 1st congrats!

2nd how else would you talk a mom into buy In a 9 year old "aliens!" :roflmao:

Now you can set them next to rainbow brite and moms none the wiser HA!

They really should come with slime or ooze. Like ninja turtles :headbang:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

@F For Fake 1st congrats!

2nd how else would you talk a mom into buy In a 9 year old "aliens!" :roflmao:

Now you can set them next to rainbow brute and moms none the wiser HA!

They really should come with slime or ooze. Like ninja turtles :headbang:

Ha, yeah, I guess it worked for Kenner in the 90's, but I'm surprised someone is taking another stab at it. Do kids want Aliens??? I guess we'll see!

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Ha, yeah, I guess it worked for Kenner in the 90's, but I'm surprised someone is taking another stab at it. Do kids want Aliens??? I guess we'll see!

I would say they still want them :)

I'm not too aware of Saturday morning cartoons or their commercials  :sorry:

but the recent few I've seen were mechanical toys... side note there are still DC and marvel commercials on, on Saturday night :)

Then there's stores, and impulse purchases :wishluck: if they're comfortably priced

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

There's supposed to be a movie in the works, but of course, that's always the case when it comes to Aliens and Predator it seems.

9 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

There's supposed to be a movie in the works, but of course, that's always the case when it comes to Aliens and Predator it seems.

I'll be curious to see if Disney actually follows through since they took on the property, or if they'll shelve it for a while.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'll be curious to see if Disney actually follows through since they took on the property, or if they'll shelve it for a while.

Those films MUST be made R. Not sure if they'll hold and possibly sell to someone else. Then again, maybe they'll consider doing a R rated market

On 1/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, comicwiz said:

Next thing I know, I'm running around the town looking for what we could find, which wasn't much. A lot of the stores we found these had a dozen of the same figure, so it started becoming apparent that some of these were going to be harder to find than others. After finding the Finn, Luke, Rey, Kylo Ren and Rose, he walks over to me and says "hey can I have that display you have?" Which I thought was neat because I had snagged that from a store (I can't remember which one) and had planned on using for some diecasts (a collecting focus of mine). It saved me from having to put together a cabinet for his room which would probably end-up with a cracked glass or worse. So I redressed the header with some TROS graphics and the result is below. The nice thing about these floor merchandisers is they take up very little room, so we were able to find a spot for it in his room.

The last week, I've been trying to find as many of these locally. I know practically nothing about modern lines, but I think we started this line a little too late. The Toys R Us here are a vacant lot in general, and Walmart is not even worth trying for this kind of thing. I managed to get these all at $4 each, and I think we're up to 11 of the 24. With the exception of Yoda, Leia, C-3P0 and R2 which we don't yet have, I don't really care for the rest we weren't able to find from this line.

He's keeping them all MOC?  That's VERY uncommon for any kid under 10.

One thing I like about the Black Series of 6" Star Wars figures is the box is designed to be opened and re-used if you want to.  That 3.75" line your son is collecting has the classic bubbles you have to rip apart to get to the figure.

It’s being reported that retailers are taking orders...

6” GI Joe line independent from upcoming Snake Eyes movie.  Figures will be like Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends. 

6 Figure Case breakdown reported. 

2 x Snake Eyes

1 x Destro

1 x Scarlett

1 x Roadblock

1 x Duke

@STORMSHADOW_80

Edited by Buzzetta