• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

Never was a fan of the Power Rangers. 

But sure am finding the episode on the Toys That Made Us interesting. 

Crazy how Leopaldon/Leopardon and Spider-man were the earlier precursors.  I totally lucked in that amazing toy for a song. 

Same with the Godaikin line.  Forgot that I never posted about some of those purchases. 

Anyone here a Power Ranger toy collector?  Anything cool to show/enlighten us with? 

Patrick

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Anyone here a Power Ranger toy collector?

I was an adult when that cartoon started so I cringed from the start at that show.  I still cringe whenever my kids watch it.  I know it's INTENTIONALLY campy, but wow, they never let up on the cheese throttle on that show, did they?  That much cheese wears on me quickly.

12 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Anyone here a Power Ranger toy collector?  Anything cool to show/enlighten us with? 

Patrick

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I was an adult when that cartoon started so I cringed from the start at that show.  I still cringe whenever my kids watch it.  I know it's INTENTIONALLY campy, but wow, they never let up on the cheese throttle on that show, did they?  That much cheese wears on me quickly.

I am a huge fan of the Power Rangers.  If not for selling them to desperately accommodating parents around Christmastime I would never have been able to pay for all of my college books.  

17 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Thanks to a good friend I was able to put together a complete Alley Viper and get some nice gloves for Big Boa. These were some of my favorites as a kid. Also is a pic of my  “good guy” case with my favorites. Roughly starting from oldest Joes on bottom (straight arm) to newest on top. I feel blessed to have these in this nice of condition being that they are so old and I found them locally. 

9103DDFC-CB7C-4407-8F20-62DEB97AEF23.jpeg

E42B5433-6D95-4328-BCF6-EA69353F3723.jpeg

I'm also not a fan of the neon era of Joes, but like you Alley Viper was a personal favorite and I just sorta overlooked the fact that he was BRIGHT ORANGE. It's just a cool figure. The flip up visor and that jagged shield, he was definitely one of my most played with as a kid. Need to get another one some day. beautiful set up!

By the time Power Rangers hit, I was in high school and not doing toys anymore. I picked up a couple to flip at the time (as was pointed out, they were a hot commodity at the time) but never really kept any. I was just too old for it to hook me. The last major toy fad that actually caught me was TMNT, and even that I bailed on after the very first wave. 

5 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Lol, I feel the same way about a lot of the early overseas robot shows that were the basis for the redone American shows, but I will say you should have a look at the Netflix show The Toys That Made Us episode on the Power Rangers. Some really interesting roots and influences from the Japanese super robot culture.

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

Lol, I feel the same way about a lot of the early overseas robot shows that were the basis for the redone American shows, but I will say you should have a look at the Netflix show The Toys That Made Us episode on the Power Rangers. Some really interesting roots and influences from the Japanese super robot culture.

Stan The Man- Toy's That Made Us! :headbang: 

I was 13 when they came out and I cringed! Couldn't stand Power Rangers.

8 minutes ago, bane said:

I was 13 when they came out and I cringed! Couldn't stand Power Rangers.

Yea that's old enough to see the cheesy insane overacting.  8 or 9 probably isn't, but maybe it is for some kids.

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

When I first saw Power Rangers I really thought it was a Voltron reboot

7 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I was going to skip the episode because I disliked the show that much. 

But I was VERY impressed with that episode.  From Stan, to Leo, to Godaikin, and on, and on.  

Though PRs will not be a toy interest for my collection, very curious what are considered the desirable pieces (excluding variant related things).

Patrick

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I was going to skip the episode because I disliked the show that much. 

But I was VERY impressed with that episode.  From Stan, to Leo, to Godaikin, and on, and on.  

Though PRs will not be a toy interest for my collection, very curious what are considered the desirable pieces (excluding variant related things).

Patrick

I knew a lot about the early history, but the segment did a fantastic job of presenting it in a cohesive and entertaining manner. For anyone that was fed a diet of Americanized overseas animation translated for US/Canadian markets, the learning curve to familiarize oneself to the super robot culture and toy category can be a very steeped and complicated one. Most of the guys who are very knowledgeable in this toy category began hunting down the original animations in whatever format they could find, well before the internet came along and allowed a lot of the content to come up in a YouTube search. As such, they have a bit of an advantage in terms of seeking out the toys produced around that early programming simply because they have been at it longer.

I find myself on the fringe because I concentrate on Canadian release toys, but a lot of the traits are similar to what drives demand/interest in some of the more desirable pieces. Almost everything that is worth collecting derives from Popy or Bandai, with a few other names people won't easily recognize. The "variant" trait is relative to collecting super robots because it's those early releases that everyone wants for some characteristic that was lost, redesigned or completely retooled for the American consumer market. As an example, there are people to this day who collected the jumbo Shogun line, own numerous examples of the Shogun Mazinger, but might not realize the original Popy version had dual firing fists. Some of these toys are ridiculously rare now, and when they do turn up can sell for a premium, but they almost are always quickly snatched-up. There's a few Facebook groups which are worth checking out if you want to familiarize yourself better with the toys - let me know if you are interested in checking those out.

I carved myself a niche around my own nostalgic sweet spot, which was centered on the animation I grew up watching, and later hunting down toys as an adult that I recalled either owning as a kid, or remembered seeing on the toy shelves. And even though I'm in the perfect location to locate this stuff, the ridiculous rarity of these toys sometimes makes a lot of people "in the know" stop in their tracks because they never realized these differences existed in the Canadian market, and by trying to share their cool history, I have unwittingly created competition for myself. lol

Edited by comicwiz

2 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Wow, I had no idea...this is one of the coolest toys I've ever seen:

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1975/ufo_robo_grendizer

There's on on eBay that isnt even complete asking $6500.  Apparently there are repro fists too so it seems like a minefield trying to buy an all original example.

CollectionDX is a great resource, and Necrodave is a very knowledgeable person on everything to do with the super robot culture. I will warn you though, it can be a very deep rabbit hole, that is addictive and very expensive! Pick your niche, because it's VERY easy to get distracted and fall in love with stuff the minute you see it for the first time.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:08 PM, comicwiz said:

I was going to hold off on posting. It's an irrational concern informed by some experience, but I don't like posting anything until I have it in hand. I figured I'd make an exception on these acquisitions though. Sometime last year, a member of the SW community visited Russia and discovered a POTF2 Chewbacca from Oritet (Russian bootleg SW toy maker) and had posted how unusual this find was. A few months later, he returned to the country and managed to track down a gentleman who had somehow managed to acquire these Chewbacca on sprue examples directly from a former Oritet employee. I had initiated contact with the person asking for one, but unfortunately didn't get one. Then another post appeared in November of last year indicating a few more were available, so I got in and managed to get the two different colour variations. I'd made payment late November, but the figure only arrived two weeks ago. Rather unfortunately, the seller did not send both. I've notified him of the issue, and was told the one missing would be sent out. In addition to this, a custom case I had wanted to acquire (but waited until the arrived to order) was now down to the last case and I snatched that up, but now won't have another for the second Chewie when it arrives (hopefully). These photos are not of mine, but basically they are identical to what I have (I have the dark brow, waiting on the one with a reddish hue in it). I always gravitate to stuff like this mostly because they tell a part of the process as well as a story of toy-making in foreign markets. The custom case design is pretty slick as well.

oritet-chewbacca-two-versions.thumb.jpg.5fd951e183bb9317d5e9014074973c90.jpgoritet-chewbacca.thumb.jpg.7b7ae9283e636aef9be8146664fdf505.jpgoritet-chewbacca-close-up.jpg.6b87d7782079a070e4762af5652fad25.jpg

The other additions were more of an impulse buy. They showed-up for sale and I had to get them. They are two rotocast heads from an unproduced Wolverine (likely for the first movie) and the size, detail and likeness to Hugh Jackman was something I just couldn't pass up. One is battled damaged as well (the one that is grinning showing teeth). They came from the collection of the late Eddie Wires.

wolverin-rotocast-heads1.thumb.jpg.16380c16a744b4b4e09155dccac7e405.jpg

The last piece was somethng I'm really happy I got. It's (from what I can tell) an unproduced Spider-Man head that was sculpted for use as a PEZ dispenser. It is what is referred to as a 4up (which is 4x the scale size of what would have been the final produced toy). I absolutely love the detail on it, and it is quite heavy and large. I obsess over certain characteristics when it comes to 3D prototypes, and one of them is head sculpts. As a 70's kid, I don't like to stray too far from the proportions and anatomical style/likeness of the Spider-Man I grew up with, which would have mostly been Romita (or as this video describes as the "classic"). The one trait I am absolutely (maybe irrationally) hung up on is that gap between the eyes, and that little webbing detail above the nose. The moment the masks evolved in a way that departed from that look, that it lost the iconic look and character of the mask. Anyhow, this seems (to my eyes) to have been imbued with the more traditional characteristics and traits of a Spider-Man sculpt, before the stylistic changes swept in (i.e. larger eyes, elongated, stretched out head, and other freakish anatomical changes). The pictures don't do it justice, as the shape and overall look are killer. The webbing is carved into the head, and has a smoother feel to it. it's a shame PEZ didn't produce this version as the ones I'm seeing that they did are not anywhere near as nice. Another interesting thing that was pointed out to me by a PEZ group on Facebook is that none of the produced Spider-Man have the webbing going all the way to the back, there is usually a COO stamp or copyright in that area, so it's usually blanked out.

spider-man-pez-4up1.jpg.4243fad00c1d771f36f7c4a76c78df17.jpg

spider-man-pez-4up2.jpg.22b00ba5c1b16670230fd7adf5ecbbe3.jpg

spider-man-pez-4up5.jpg.501d303b1f1d58cb35d38e23d6d13f37.jpg

Man, @comicwiz always bringing the heat with the crazy hard to find stuff. Love it, as always!