• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, bane said:

As I finished with the ToyBiz line of Batman, well it was only 3 figures, now moving onto the Kenner line that actually started with "The Dark Knight Collection" which was an extension of the Batman 89 movie. For some reason this line completely passed me by when I was a kid, I never knew they existed. I'm sure they would have been released in the UK but who knows!

They were released in 1990.

A2207E78-674A-4926-AE83-43211FD0A374.thumb.jpeg.e707163d826ab82fa08893747b6550d6.jpeg

This was a great toy line! The sculpt was so much better than the Toy Biz stuff. Iron Winch Batman was THE Batman figure for me for many years, as it was the closest to a classic look. I still have one of those carded, as well as Robin, Catwoman and Penguin. Very nice line of toys from a great era. The cards look really sharp on yours!

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This was a great toy line! The sculpt was so much better than the Toy Biz stuff. Iron Winch Batman was THE Batman figure for me for many years, as it was the closest to a classic look. I still have one of those carded, as well as Robin, Catwoman and Penguin. Very nice line of toys from a great era. The cards look really sharp on yours!

I'm trying to go for best quality I can get my hands on, these have all come from eBay so far.

5 hours ago, bane said:

I'm trying to go for best quality I can get my hands on, these have all come from eBay so far.

From what I can see, the base sculpt on these (at least the torso/limbs) is from the Kenner Super Powers Batman. The head appears to have some very slight changes made to it, namely with the cowl and length of the ears. The leg also doesn't seem to articulate at the knee on the Dark Knight or Batman Returns, but I can't tell from inside the blister. Of course some of them had some detailing differences, like the boots on the Jungle Tracker. However it looks like Kenner didn't really change much from the Batman they made for Super Powers until Batman Forever and later toy lines.

9 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

There are people that collect recycled Kenner toys. A figural example would be the Gammorian Guard from 1983, whose base sculpt was retooled for the Friar Tuck action figure from the 1992 Robin Hood Prince of Thieves line. You can see the use of the same torso for a good number of characters from the KSP line, and because of the projected waves, and the way the time period overlapped with lines in the works, what likely happened is they recast some waxes and began retooling where it made sense, for certain character/themed figures. They look to have made the most use out of the torso and arms in those lines they carried them over into.

What is interesting though is that they did away with the knee articulation and I found that to be a good decision. The figures with no articulating knee have a much more sturdy feel to them, there's less room for a wonky figure. The KSP (for reasons unknown to me) have an unusual lack of stiffness to their limbs. Unlike the vintage Kenner Star Wars, as long as you didn't touch or play with the figure, the limbs would be very stiff, hard to move. KSP is a different situation for some reason. My first shot Batman went from a baggie, straight into a sealed AFA case so it literally never was handled, but every other loose KSP figure I have, even if shows very light play wear, has limbs that move with a light jiggle. This is especially annoying with a bending knee, as trying to get a figure to stand when it's got loose limbs can be a challenge.

Not because I own it, but this unproduced sculpt, which landed in the transition period between Keatons last Batman movie, and Kilmer being announced for the role, (I feel) really refined some of the anatomical inaccuracies (mainly a look and feel that is short and stout) from the Super Powers line, and is probably one of my favourites Kenner made that didn't make it into production.

batman-torso.thumb.jpg.d64e5049b520d419dfac111a618e738d.jpg

And while I didn't care for the weapons or accessorizing, the Martial Arts Batman was another that I felt translated really well in terms of the overall appearance of the sculpt. This first shot strips down a lot of razzle-dazzle that made it into the final production toy.

Batman_MartialArts.thumb.jpg.6f9d8a05b4b443ef465415b85e2ba99b.jpg

unnamed.jpg

@comicwiz I quite enjoy the articulated knees!  I know how you feel though.  I have plenty of loose figures which have to lean against something in order to stand.  Pretty much the whole Prince of Thieves line are recasts.  I believe the head sculpt for Robin may have been the Rocket Man head that was unproduced for the fourth SP wave (before Cosner gave his OK to use his likeness and they changed the head).

On 1/29/2020 at 9:13 AM, F For Fake said:

I'm also not a fan of the neon era of Joes, but like you Alley Viper was a personal favorite and I just sorta overlooked the fact that he was BRIGHT ORANGE. It's just a cool figure. The flip up visor and that jagged shield, he was definitely one of my most played with as a kid. Need to get another one some day. beautiful set up!

Thanks man! I just got an HQ I'm working on putting back together! I'm excited.

Item #5

Yellow Sideswipe

Now this is rare.  One of my favorite pieces in my collection. 

Again, someone has discussed this well: 

http://www.tf-1.com/articles/pretf/yellowswipe_template.html

Beautiful condition.  Thought I took pics of it out of the box, I'll do that i anyone cares. 

Only bummer is no diaclone driver. 

3rd pic is the order card. Still attached and in great shape (intentionally perforated to be poked out). 

4th pic is a diaclone pamphlet.  Can see a bench of the early diaclone toys. 

Unlike my earlier Bluestreak Takara #08, this box isn't intended to have a box flap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diaclone-Yellow-Sideswipe-MIB-Japanese-Transformers-G1-Takara-Great-Condition/173969389298?hash=item28816236f2:g:PSoAAOSwCkxdMQza

Patrick

20200110_145653.jpg

20200110_145707.jpg

20200110_145730.jpg

20200109_101232.jpg

I picked these up from my most recent family trip to Disney World - Star Wars Thermal Detonator-shaped Coke products. The TSA banned these for a short period of time...but continued to allow actual guns as long as they were not loaded. Galaxy's Edge was fun.

2134672741_ThermalDetonators.thumb.jpg.40f8bcab199ba72c2e20340a74ea9dc8.jpg

4 minutes ago, srezvan said:

I picked these up from my most recent family trip to Disney World - Star Wars Thermal Detonator-shaped Coke products. The TSA banned these for a short period of time...but continued to allow actual guns as long as they were not loaded. Galaxy's Edge was fun.

2134672741_ThermalDetonators.thumb.jpg.40f8bcab199ba72c2e20340a74ea9dc8.jpg

My inner three year old just imagined drinking from one when the train stopped short as the bottle would drop and immediately roll down the aisle of the Long Island Railroad.

Panic ensues

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Wow, I've never seen Solomon Grundy before. Very cool :applause:

Yeah, that's one I actually didn't have before! He was originally a "deluxe" boxed Figure, kinda pricey back in the day. For $5 I couldn't pass him up!

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, that's one I actually didn't have before! He was originally a "deluxe" boxed Figure, kinda pricey back in the day. For $5 I couldn't pass him up!

Fantastic find.

The only DC characters I had back in the day were Batman, Hawkman and Braniac. Love seeing these figures, and the colours are so bright. They seem much brighter than other figures of the time