• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, followtheleader said:

Very much enjoy the old vibe of this.

Only a few that bug me.

Matt is the best thwy could come up with?  Supposed to be MASK?

Love me some Nightraven and Crusader.

Patrick

20200209_171917.jpg

It's a mix of vintage packaging art as well as modern packaging art which is interesting.   Cobra Commander art is from the modern resolute line, as is Firefly, Duke, Flash, Zartan, Serpentor and others that did not exist in the vintage line like the Cobra Air Trooper and the Cobra Diver.  However there IS vintage art incorporated in it which are the vehicles.

Where did you pick this up? 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

It's a mix of vintage packaging art as well as modern packaging art which is interesting.   Cobra Commander art is from the modern resolute line, as is Firefly, Duke, Flash, Zartan, Serpentor and others that did not exist in the vintage line like the Cobra Air Trooper and the Cobra Diver.  However there IS vintage art incorporated in it which are the vehicles.

Where did you pick this up? 

Thanks for the info. 

Found it in a new comic shop near Boulder CO.  Unfortunately the last copy (though the guy owns a comic shop in St Louis too). 

Anyone know if Matt is Matt Tracker? I would have preferred it titled as "Tracker" than Matt. 

Would have loved to see Croc Master and Shockwave.  But I'm sure every single person wishes to have another person or three. 

Though the lower vehicles are pretty blah, they look cool.  Terror Drome and the Defiant would have been great replacements. 

Patrick

18 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Thanks for the info. 

Found it in a new comic shop near Boulder CO.  Unfortunately the last copy (though the guy owns a comic shop in St Louis too). 

Anyone know if Matt is Matt Tracker? I would have preferred it titled as "Tracker" than Matt. 

Would have loved to see Croc Master and Shockwave.  But I'm sure every single person wishes to have another person or three. 

Though the lower vehicles are pretty blah, they look cool.  Terror Drome and the Defiant would have been great replacements. 

Patrick

That is Matt Trakker - I still have mine but did not feel like getting it out of the storage container... 

https://toys.hisstank.com/gi-joe-25th-anniversary/25th-gi-joe-figures/matt-trakker-2023

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That is Matt Trakker - I still have mine but did not feel like getting it out of the storage container... 

https://toys.hisstank.com/gi-joe-25th-anniversary/25th-gi-joe-figures/matt-trakker-2023

Cool, thanks. 

FYI, poster says 2014 on the bottom. 

Patrick

16 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Cool, thanks. 

FYI, poster says 2014 on the bottom. 

Patrick

That's odd, my comic shop also just got one of these posters in this week. I wonder if it was recently reprinted.

42 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Rumor has it that the guys that make fortnite figures were lent the license for G.I. Joe... we find out for sure I’m about two weeks 

GI Joe has also been seen in the phone game Transformers Earth War. The game has Hasbro tm on it, but seems Space Ape owns the rights or something. It's weird because some of the characters names have been changed eg Shrapnel has been changed to Skrapnel

2 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

GI Joe has also been seen in the phone game Transformers Earth War. The game has Hasbro tm on it, but seems Space Ape owns the rights or something. It's weird because some of the characters names have been changed eg Shrapnel has been changed to Skrapnel

The Shrapnel might be a typo made by overseas programmers or finishers of the game.  However you are correct in that there have been name changes over the years due to trademark and licensing issues.  For example, Hasbro lost the trademark to 'Hound" so the character has been renamed "Autobot Hound".  (might be another transformers I am thinking of).

GI Joe lost the right to use the name Ghostrider entirely once Marvel lost the comic license so they may not even produce it on the character's file card.  Back in the 80's when it was released it was named Ghostrider on the filecard but was unnamed in the comic as Marvel did not want the name to be confused with their in house property of the same name. 

Many characters have also been slight changed over the years in their entirety... Recently someone was able to get the name of "Steel Brigade" as Hasbro had let the name lapse.  Hasbro renamed their GI Joe footsoldiers as something else that I cannot remember in their newest mobile game. 

It's going to be interesting because if Hasbro leases their intellectual property to the guys that make fortnight characters then I am undecided what that means for the property.  Is Hasbro interested in producing toys or leasing out its IPs to someone else.   Part of me only wants a Habro Joe figure.   Sad... 

6" is coming though so that should be interesting... but my heart will always be with 3 3/4"... 

I had heard of the Hound being changed. There are too many changes to allow for programmer errors, Octane is Octone for another example. Seems bizarre to me, but I have no idea how copywrite law works

Speaking of Hound...what in the world is going on with the Transformers Masterpiece line.  MP 47, which was Hound, has been riddled with QC problems right out of the box.  Cracks and pieces breaking off after just one transformation.  Wanted to get him but I'm holding off for a reissue to fix all the issues.  With the prices they are charging now there is no excuse for the poor craftmanship.  I hope they figure this all out.  

19 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

There's a new GI Joe game "War on Cobra" I hear it's good. I need to download it still.

There has been a few name changes. Shockwave (The SWAT officer) got changed to Shockblast. I think that had to do with Transformers having a character with the same name. I just learned about Ghostrider recently. Too bad they let let Steel Brigade slip to Valaverse. It's interesting that their niche as well as a lot of customizer was a 6" line of figs. I for one am glad there will be a 6" line but i might lose it if new vehicles come out.

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Rumor has it that the guys that make fortnite figures were lent the license for G.I. Joe... we find out for sure I’m about two weeks 

Supposedly the rumor is Jazzware will make the 4" while Hasbro will make the 6". I cant wait to see how they look.

2 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

30cm ruler.  Thanks @Buzzetta for making me aware of this

20200212_164209.jpg

I am on the fence... I want to see what else is announced at Toy Fair in a couple of weeks... 

I also want the Imperial Troop Transport but not at the $70+ price tag... I would have gone $40-50 for it... so I want to see what happens. 

fba19b9d-73f7-4a06-9e61-aa669ef0dfdc.jpg

4 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Supposedly the rumor is Jazzware will make the 4" while Hasbro will make the 6". I cant wait to see how they look.

I am guessing Jazzware will utilize some of the sculpted parts from the Fortnite line to save on costs for the first couple of waves.  Hasbro most likely picked up a lesson from Disney and is not going to lease out their IP cheaply.  It won't carry the weight of the Star Wars property but it will be costly. 

Honestly this disappoints me.  The beauty of Hasbro retaining the line was that the figures were still in the same scale to a certain degree.  Many of the vehicles were still comparable or needed slight retools.  I mean, I sold off a lot of stuff but I kept my Moray which is currently helmed by 25th Lampreys from the Invasion of Cobra Island set. 

I don't know if these Fortnite figures will 'do it' for me.   The 6" line has my interest and I really want to see what they look like.