• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2020 at 3:19 AM, GeneticNinja said:

Collectibility meaning just for future value? And not opening it because of that? Or perhaps the start of collecting a line of figures?

When I was young, I was very quick to open figures. At times in the car on the way home. It probably wasn't until college and afterwards that I got figures not for value but to own as collectible pieces for display. I remember putting together my Star Wars collection after getting it tossed by my parents. I found a Vintage Hoth Leia figure in the same comic shop that I purchased my Death of Superman comic that I mentioned in a few posts around here. The figure was opened but complete and I was happy to get it back. But I would sell it later for a Star Wars prop which was even more desired. However as luck would have it, Hot Toys came around and made an even better Hoth Leia compared to the vintage figure. So I'm happy again and won't need another Hoth Leia as I doubt Hot Toys will make a quarter scale version. And I wouldn't bet on Sideshow Toys making a Hoth Leia statue.

Another one is a Jedi Luke figure. I did repurchase him sealed some time during college at a different comic shop. Never opened him as I owned an opened version. Plus at that stage I knew older sealed Star Wars figures would have more value. And I still have him in storage. Also when I was still hyped for Star Wars Episode 2, I purchased Aayla and Barriss figures since they were cool in the comics. I was going to get them signed by the actresses. But then Episode 2 turned out to be so so at best. The female Jedi figures are still sealed though and I'll use them for a Star Wars comic display.

I think that's all that I can remember right now. I'm pretty much an open the item person. I'm getting G.I. Joe Classified Scarlett. It's possible that I won't open it as I'm just getting it for the box art. I'm opening Snake Eyes though.

Oh, there's no real "rules", I was just curious about what set everyone off on their collecting journey. So these stories are perfect!

On 3/11/2020 at 11:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

Thought of you actually while in Target the other day.    I know they are not in scale... I know they are not Marvel... 

But damn... the McFarlane Jim Lee Batman figure hits all the bells and whistles for me.   Really nice figure. 

I left him.  Trying to be good this year. 

See, that's interesting, I bought a Batman because I wanted to give the line a chance. Ended up selling it. I just didn't dig it. The plastic seemed kinda soft and rubbery, the sculpt very generic. Articulation was good, but yeah, over all, it just didn't do it for me, so I'm not going down that rabbit hole. I may pick up a Superman to keep because it seems like a very nicely designed figure, but Batman and other figures just left me "meh".

Oddly enough, these days I find myself getting into the DC Essentials line from DC Direct. I didn't dig these at all when they first came out, the sculpts looked bland, they come with ZERO accessories or parts (no extra hands, etc) and I just didn't dig the style. I was also bitter about the cancellation of the DC Icons line, a line that I TRULY loved. True, scale was all OVER the place, but they were such nice sculpts and came with so many accessories, they were a ton of fun. Due to the aforementioned scale issues they were difficult to display, even within the same line, but still some really nice toys.

BUT, with the recent waves, I have changed my tune on Essentials. The Knightfall Batman is, I think, the best Batman action figure ever made. This is the Batman figure I've waited most of my life for. It's beautiful. And the other figures in that way (Green Lantern, Sinestro and Catwoman) are similarly gorgeous. Sculpts and paint are terrific, they scale nicely, etc. Again, no accessories to speak of, but they are just really nicely made, solidly articulated figures. I've gone back and also picked up Shazam/Black Adam, Cheetah, and a couple of others.

However, I have concerns that DC is about to wrap the line up. The only new figures shown at Toy Fair were a line of "DCEased" zombie figures (which are really just repaints with new head sculpts) and a set of JLA repaints. No new characters or sculpts at all. I'm worried that I'm getting into the line just as it's about to give up the ghost. But McFarlane didn't offer much hope either. 

48 minutes ago, StingerMcK said:

Got these from my LCS yesterday. I knew they were buying a giant vintage toy collection, so I was able to get first dibs on these. 

I'm blown away I was able to get almost the entire line of vehicles and Hall in 1 shot. 

IMG_20200312_163312.thumb.jpg.5281cb3ef23453a1390527cada006b99.jpg

WOOOOOW! Awesome pickup! Man, you gotta love those bright colors and designs of the box art. Too cool. Congrats!

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Had some strong sales on eBay this afternoon.  Looks like people are bored of working from home and instead are shopping from home 

A fine example of the future the pandemic is helping to rush us towards that highlights how much less productive it will make us.  :boo:

11 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

Got these from my LCS yesterday. I knew they were buying a giant vintage toy collection, so I was able to get first dibs on these. 

I'm blown away I was able to get almost the entire line of vehicles and Hall in 1 shot. 

Good lord!  Nice haul. 

Agreed, crazy to get in one shot. 

Patrick

On 3/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, StingerMcK said:

Wow! Are those all unopened? The boxes look like they're in great shape.

Found a GI Joe collection today. 

Has nearly every figure, vehicle, and playset from 1982 thru 1987. 

All look very nice and largely complete.  

For clarity, I haven't purchased items yet.  Not sure how much I will get. 

But a real spectacle to behold. 

Patrick

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

Found a GI Joe collection today. 

Has nearly every figure, vehicle, and playset from 1982 thru 1987. 

All look very nice and largely complete.  

For clarity, I haven't purchased items yet.  Not sure how much I will get. 

But a real spectacle to behold. 

Patrick

Oh my!

That’s awesome he threw in that Snake Eyes. He’s one of the best Joe figures there is.

... for first toy I collected. It was the first Spawn figs that came out. I gave it to my friend recently that is into Spawn big time.

...As an adult the first collectible toy purchase when I was back in the game was masterpiece Soundwave. I was lucky enough to get him the one day it was available online. Still one of the best masterpiece transformers they made. For Joes the first vintage piece I sought after was the 83’ Dragonfly helicopter.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80

2 hours ago, BOLORINO said:

I didn't know we there was a toy topic here... 😲 Not exactly this week... 😬 this is my toy & comic collection together.... video and pics

Always work in progress 

Where you find that cabinet that you store the comic books and what are the dimensions?  I saw some of your other videos.  That was pretty cool. 

10 hours ago, BOLORINO said:

I didn't know we there was a toy topic here... 😲 Not exactly this week... 😬 this is my toy & comic collection together.... video and pics

Always work in progress 

20181218_081620.jpg20181218_081645.jpg20181226_151534.jpg20181226_153240.jpg

AWESOME display!  I've done displays where I try to pose figures in the same way they are on the covers of comics behind them, but never seen large displays of both equally represented like that.  Looks great!