• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2020 at 10:48 PM, JoeRock said:

Picked this up today from a friend, I’ll admit I don’t know much about D&D, but this figure looks awesome, the art on the back is great, might try to grab a few of the others now

6040C73E-9D6E-4D5A-A3A3-4C5E69164637.jpeg

D6808C9F-9092-4630-9B1B-75C1DAED68E5.jpeg

I had this figure when I was a kid and thought the same as you back then. I didn't know the character but just got him anyway. I probably got him before seeing the cartoon. Either I mentioned it or someone else. But Iron Studios has this diorama of the kids from the cartoon. And the bad guy.

dungeons-and-dragons.thumb.jpg.8468058257208213d1f3048ae8661ff3.jpg

venger.thumb.jpg.7186319d320d657a84963331cd61e0fd.jpg

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Boooooo

All Lego projects and hovercraft put on hold for two reasons. 

1 - A friend sent me a picture of a guy who did the hovercraft justice and put everyone else's online to shame.  Everyone else was using the standard lego hovercraft hull.  This guy went all beast mode and built his own using a lot of SNOT (Studs not on top) techniques.   I will link you to his flicker folder here.  You have to see what he does.

2 - FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY - I was notified by the bath remodel company I contracted to redo my bathroom. They said my village hall finally responded.  I was JUST about to have the paperwork completed by village hall when everything shut down. This means that a building inspector will be coming to my house and will need access to the basement for the water lines.  So what does that mean?  Well... most everything has to be concealed or tucked away since officially in my town a basement is for storage unless you have a direct egress from the main area.  Guest bed alcove had to be overturned and I keep my shipping boxes that I use down there also. 

I would much rather finally get my bathroom done.  I've been waiting now over a year to get this together due to false starts, a contractor that disappeared, and multiple quotes. 

Holy smokes that guys stuff is next level!

That's good news about the bathroom going forward.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Finally I was able to go in a shop with Joes! So far I got the Ram all cleaned up. Ordered parts for the mirage

296934AC-68F6-4B48-96C4-C59F08B8E704.jpeg

E52162B4-F6F7-464F-85BA-5278754C67D4.jpeg

EEAD9B93-B970-4F12-B240-611B455BD1DA.jpeg

Breaker is such a natural fit for that bike, looks great!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Breaker is such a natural fit for that bike, looks great!

Thanks! The Ram is a really solid vehicle compared to the Mirage. I finished the Polar Battle Bear yesterday after giving it a whiting treatment for a few hours. I’m happy. I ended up taking off a couple stickers that were peeling and misplaced and it was really noticeable where they were in addition to some yellowing. It came out real nice. This is the Takara version from Japan. I had the missing missiles it needed already. Next I’m working on the Awe Striker. 

FF59A1F8-E5BD-4F44-99C6-941DE69704D4.jpeg

On 5/5/2020 at 8:48 PM, JoeRock said:

Picked this up today from a friend, I’ll admit I don’t know much about D&D, but this figure looks awesome, the art on the back is great, might try to grab a few of the others now

6040C73E-9D6E-4D5A-A3A3-4C5E69164637.jpeg

D6808C9F-9092-4630-9B1B-75C1DAED68E5.jpeg

I had that figure as a kid. 

I remember after I bought the figure from Kay-Bees sitting in a pizza place in the mall looking at the back of the packing and thinking that it was odd that they were advertising non-articulated (what I thought) hard plastic figures for use with an articulated figure. 

It wasn’t until looking at this packaging just now all these years later that those aren’t PVC figures, they’re probably the lead miniatures painted up that TSR sold for use with the game. So TSR was taking advantage of their license to use LJN’s packaging to promote their own stuff. 

10 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I loved this show as a kid, and would LOVE this, but yowza over $1k to get all the statues put together... 

Sideshow Rewards points will help. But I wonder if they will give a lot out this year without SDCC and everyone at their computers. It's usually around $75 or so per event that I've noticed. Plus with points on normal purchases, you can get a few statues or figures for points if you plan.

38 minutes ago, shadroch said:

About six weeks ago, I was contacted by a retired Army Officer who lives about forty miles from here. He said that about ten years ago, he got the toy soldier collecting buzz  and would buy whatever old toy soldiers he could find at flea markets, garage sales ect.  He had a half-assed plan of renting a storefront and filling it with homemade dioramas, but never got around to it.

He mostly bought WW2 era soldiers as they were the most common, but also the American Civil War and Cowboys and Indians.  He estimated he had 13,000 loose toy soldiers and maybe 200 sealed packages or boxed sets. He seemed pretty sincere, but said he was old fashioned and only had a flip phone so no pictures. He also says he has about 300 tanks, ranging from three inches to a couple that are well over two feet long, as well as armored fighting vehicles from the WW2 era thru Vietnam.

He's hard to pin down, wants to sell some, but maybe will sell all. He might be willing to do a part cash, part consignment deal. What he is afraid of is someone will cherry pick his best stuff leaving him with a lot of junk. He also doesn't seem to know the market. He was telling me he had a pretty rare Marx play-set but then mentioned the figures were blue and yellow instead of green and grey. That usually means they are recasts, mostly done in the 80s and 90s and worth a fraction of the original, but he says he knows nothing about that.

He said he had a bunch of 3 inch GI joes, but all loose and a few 12 inch that were still in the boxes but I think they are moderns, not the 1960s originals. 

Last night he called and told me he had someone coming to look at them this weekend but he wanted to give me first dibs. I'm headed there this afternoon.

If nothing else, it will be fun digging through them.

If you want help on some of the Joes feel free to text me. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

About six weeks ago, I was contacted by a retired Army Officer who lives about forty miles from here. He said that about ten years ago, he got the toy soldier collecting buzz  and would buy whatever old toy soldiers he could find at flea markets, garage sales ect.  He had a half-assed plan of renting a storefront and filling it with homemade dioramas, but never got around to it.

He mostly bought WW2 era soldiers as they were the most common, but also the American Civil War and Cowboys and Indians.  He estimated he had 13,000 loose toy soldiers and maybe 200 sealed packages or boxed sets. He seemed pretty sincere, but said he was old fashioned and only had a flip phone so no pictures. He also says he has about 300 tanks, ranging from three inches to a couple that are well over two feet long, as well as armored fighting vehicles from the WW2 era thru Vietnam.

He's hard to pin down, wants to sell some, but maybe will sell all. He might be willing to do a part cash, part consignment deal. What he is afraid of is someone will cherry pick his best stuff leaving him with a lot of junk. He also doesn't seem to know the market. He was telling me he had a pretty rare Marx play-set but then mentioned the figures were blue and yellow instead of green and grey. That usually means they are recasts, mostly done in the 80s and 90s and worth a fraction of the original, but he says he knows nothing about that.

He said he had a bunch of 3 inch GI joes, but all loose and a few 12 inch that were still in the boxes but I think they are moderns, not the 1960s originals. 

Last night he called and told me he had someone coming to look at them this weekend but he wanted to give me first dibs. I'm headed there this afternoon.

If nothing else, it will be fun digging through them.

Good luck and happy hunting! And yes, if you have Joe questions you should take some pics and throw them up here!

Are any of the small ones worth anything loose? I thought they had to be on the original card to have much value? For example, I'll see a tank or boat from 1982 and look at eBay. Inevitably it's missing a small piece of two and.sells for $5-10 dollars. I was in a shop in Tombstone a few months ago and they had a sealed Star Brigade box for $200. I looked on eBay and it was 1/10th the price.

Maybe I will go into the spare parts trade.

Edited by shadroch

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Are any of the small ones worth anything loose? I thought they had to be on the original card to have much value? For example, I'll see a tank or boat from 1982 and look at eBay. Inevitably it's missing a small piece of two and.sells for $5-10 dollars. I was in a shop in Tombstone a few months ago and they had a sealed Star Brigade box for $200. I looked on eBay and it was 1/10th the price.

Maybe I will go into the spare parts trade.

The 3-3/4" go for pretty good money now.  

Hell, 1/2 of the postings here are now solely Joes. 

Obviously, it's relative to what you'll pay and condition. 

As others mentioned, throw a pic up and price and we can help determine if it's worthwhile or not. 

With the right figure or two, it could be a homerun.  Night Force figures, Star Duster, pilots of the Defiant, Keel Haul of the Flagg, Brazil figures, etc.  

A lot of what used to be considered garbage (not by me!) are very desirable now.  Like Python Patrol, Sky Patrol, Tiger Force, etc. 

I've been meaning to illustrate how there are plenty of figures from 88 thru 93 that are well worth buying.   The Red Ninja I posted some months back from 1993 is a great example of that.

Patrick

I caved... 

I saw that Hasbro Pulse was offering a new round of pre-orders and since this was so well reviewed as a mini-masterpiece... AND I did a nice little sale tonight... 

Treat yo' Self

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-war-for-cybertron-earthrise-leader-wfc-e11-optimus-prime-figure

image.thumb.png.a378adff31c7fa28d6463480e8a85fa6.png

image.thumb.png.9ce467c1091e38025795fc97eacaacdd.png

image.thumb.png.e0058898ae22e6026d79d20beb11e80f.png

Edited by Buzzetta

So I spent a couple of hours getting to know this gentleman.  We shared a six pack and some stories while we looked through about ten percent of his hoard. The one Joe thing that I saw and liked was what he says is a complete GI Joe HQ, in a very nice original box. He has an aircraft carrier but he overpaid for it and then thought he was buying a bunch of original parts for it, but they were cheap replicas. He had a 1960s Alamo fort but the soldiers were cheap knockoffs. When he first started , he was taken advantage of by a couple of people so he switched strategy and bought large lots off ebay and at flea markets. He also as able to get wholesale prices on stuff by buying in bulk. In his backyard, he has an airfield with dozens of foot long  WW2 fighters- squadrons of P-51s, P-38s, and the like. He said they retailed for about $100 each five years ago, and he showed me a tray that must have had one hundred Corgi Sherman tanks.

One thing we had a little disagreement on was he thinks you can display a vehicle in a display and then say its new as long as he has the original box.

A quick question if somebody can help.

I know nothing about Halo and can't find these on ebay so any information would be much appreciated.

They are small scale, and I don't think 3 3/4 inch figures would fit, but they resemble warthogs and have a crew operated weapon on the back. 

Made by Jada Toys in 2012. 

Wanted to discuss this question for months now. 

So I bought this beauty a few months back. 

I've waxed often about my love for Interchangeables. 

This is another Takara beauty.  Check that pimp gridline out on the box.  Lookin' real Transformer-ish.

From a historical perspective - Looks like we originally had Mego/Micronauts, then Hourtoy/Interchangeables, and lastly MD Toys/Interchangeables. 

So far, my experience has been: Mego are common, Hourtoy less so, and MD Toys much less so. 

Love the MD's because of the all silver/chrome.  Granted, the quality isn't as solid as Megos. 

Okay, back to the question. 

This bad boy is sealed on both sides.  But it's situation where the tape is so old that 80% is loose and those other 20% are tough strands hanging on. 

Do I (you) open it?  Normally, I'd be like ah no.  But I'm seriously considering this one. 

Patrick

20200514_135541.jpg

20200514_135555.jpg

Only had to order a few parts but man that Mirage is super fragile. I was trying not to but ended up having to completely disassemble it because the wrong wheel was on the back. But here it is unbroken and complete. :foryou:

Awe Striker is a cool vehicle. I’m just missing the camera that goes on the hood. With the HISS I picked up I swapped parts with the Red Sears HISS. Has anyone seen the stop motion video on you tube Zombie Zombie? Snow Job reminds me of that now.

ECEE1598-2143-4AD1-9431-63E63EA4A2DA.jpeg

EB1A5EF8-F959-496B-AF20-F90D7EA8EF37.jpeg

8CD0DF64-9DA0-48C3-90A8-517175BA2494.jpeg

46630A67-A897-4AE4-B427-E78EEB3CF59B.jpeg